Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Yes, I see your point now. The classifieds here may be the prime motivation for some which would (as you point out) reduce the value of the forum. My bottom line comment is just that if I buy something that later turns out to be a poor choice (which I have done) I cannot expect some forum member to pay the price that I think that item should fetch in order to save me financially from my mistake.

I agree with you about the difficulty in selling high quality items (like that red Festka) which is about as nice a road bike as I have seen. That's the downside though of buying stuff of that quality. It didn't sell, but you are lucky to have a road bike that nice I think.
I was not really trying to sell that Festka, I love that bike. Thats why the price was so high! Seriously i feel the sweet spot for selling something without issue is below $100. I just sold a sadlle bag that I never used for $60 without issue. But it seems if the item is above $100 the lowballers and look-ee-lou’s start to come in.

Last edited by joosttx; 03-20-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I was not really trying to sell that Festka. Thats why the price was so high!
Ha ha, I thought it was a fair price given the quality.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:08 PM

.....not happy at all. too many well priced, excellent condition items in my size / what i am interested in. terrible. way too much money spent. boooo.

it's also not fair. not fair at all. we are being very selfish not sharing these amazing bicycles at low prices on ebay with others. just a horrible thing to do.

just kidding, this place is amazing, you folks rock. great sense of cycling community, and i'd say pretty much 99% if not 100% of my transactions have been extremely positive. it's a large group of "pay if forward" minded people.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Anything I'm selling here, I basically ignore any of the PMs I get unless its a name I recognize as a regular.

Makes the process a lot smoother.
My PM's are usually: 1. Why are you selling? 2. Are you the original owner? 3. What's your inseam? 4. Is that your best price? 5. Will you ship to (insert foreign country)? And the best, and by far my favorite, "I'll take it! Gimme your PayPal".
Old 03-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I was not really trying to sell that Festka, I love that bike. Thats why the price was so high! Seriously i feel the sweet spot for selling something without issue is below $100. I just sold a sadlle bag that I never used for $60 without issue. But it seems if the item is above $100 the lowballers and look-ee-lou’s start to come in.

Dang, was just about to wander to the classifieds and see if it was still available..
Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Dang, was just about to wander to the classifieds and see if it was still available..
it was a Flash Sale.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 PM
You still here?

While I don’t hate our classified section, I’m very reluctent to post substantial items for sale on anymore because the thread often turns into a discussion-fest that may only vaguely resemble what the OP listed for sale.

If I had my druthers when I post something in the classifieds, I’d request that the mods turn off the ability to respond to my thread and I would invite questions or comments to me directly via e-mail.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:01 AM

I really hate the improper use of apostrophes. Drives me
Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 AM

I have not read all 9 pages so this may have been covered. I know I may have failed to respond to a few folks offering up from my WTB ad. Sometimes it's because what they have is just way too far from what is listed. Me: looking for a 10 speed cassette, reply: I have an 8 speed cassette- ya want it?

Also the guy that wants to negotiate a better shipping rate after he paid the asking price of $xx plus $x for shipping. His logic, "My sister's cousin's uncle was able to fit that tire in a flat rate box so I know you can." He wants to save 35¢. I want to send his money back.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:58 AM

I'll take paceline over ebay any day of the week even if things have drifted a little here lately.

Recent experience selling a used groupset on ebay confirmed that...guy in NYC claimed he didn't get the package and froze my funds in paypal through a buyer's complaint lodged in ebay. I actually had the tracking info indicating that it was left on his porch (he didn't ask for signature required or hold at PO) and then claimed it was my problem. Its one thing to have scumbags try to steal, but even worse that ebay offers no protection to individual sellers if this is allowed to happen. I had to lodge my own counter-complaint against that buyer to get my money released
Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 AM

As a new member and based upon the posts and general theme, it seems to me that the average PL has at least 10 bikes but wants five more but needs to sell two to stay out of divorce court. I am sure a psych would have an interesting take but there is a bit of group bike collecting or hoarding or something unique to PL. Seem like some wine forums. Or firearm owner forums. I do admit to being annoyed with myself for selling a couple things way too cheap on WTB. The seller should just stay no and be firm on price, it is just annoying to answer so many questions and take photo after photo and be offered a $1100 on something worth $2500 that you offered at say $1900. It seems to me that PL members give stuff away compared to other selling venues.

The good news? The stuff in the PL Classifieds always seems brandy new and is really cheap.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Seems to be more "like" for the classifieds here then actual hate. Annoyance for dealing with a few buyers/sellers? Sure, but that can be said of almost any venue where buying and selling happens.

I think the best thing to do is set the expectation at the get go, firm on price, adequate images, and clear and concise descriptions. Beyond that is up to you in how much additional accommodation you want to provide to a possible buyer/seller who may or may not be a tire kicker.

Nature of the beast, but I still think we have the best classifieds running...

William
Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Seems to be more "like" for the classifieds here then actual hate. Annoyance for dealing with a few buyers/sellers? Sure, but that can be said of almost any venue where buying and selling happens.
Yeah - I think we're just mostly venting pet peeves (that, plus it is snowing around here...). Always will be a few glitches, but on balance, it works well around here...
Old 03-21-2018, 07:53 AM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
And the best, and by far my favorite, "I'll take it! Gimme your PayPal".
Had a few of those recently........then nothing. All from fairly new members.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:11 AM

There's a guy on the internet who's a great buyer of bike parts, his name is DR. IDRIS MUSA. He has been delegated as a matter of trust to look for an Overseas partner INTO whose ACCOUNT the sum of US$31,000,000.00 (Thirty one Million United States Dollars) WILL BE PAID BY TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER, and generally prefers Campagnolo.