Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:04 PM
extremely tall

We have a 2007 9-3 SportCombi 6MT. 150k mostly trouble-free Miles; 30mpg when it doesn’t have snow tires.

Zero problems getting parts, and I have a local Saab mechanic who’s fantastic and a big reason I’ve kept it.

Wish it were better in the snow, but no complaints.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:34 PM

when I was an aspiring hippie in 1973, Saab 96 V4

I bought one of these brand new. Anything to own something out of the ordinary in those days. I can remember smoking dubes and having an ash fall onto the soft, foam-backed seat covers and then it would make deep melted holes through the fabric and down into the foam.

4 speed on the column and went through clutches like no tomorrow. A true piece of crap. Looked cool with long hair though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVA-V9PrDrM
Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 PM

I love SAABs. Had a 1999 Viggen, and it was fast as all get out. If I were rich I'd have paid to have a full restoration done to it, but unfortunately it had to go. When I traded it in, I think there were about 210,000 mi on the odometer!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 PM

My dad had an ‘85 (I think) 900 Turbo we picked up at the factory and drove around Europe on their European and Diplomat Sales program. Saved money on not renting a car and picked it up in Newark after our trip and had shipped over. One day I was driving in snow and decided to do an e-brake turn. I was 16/17, nobody told me the ebrake works on the front wheels on that car. Didn’t make for the best ebrake turn and ended up in a snow bank.

2 or 3 years later I rolled it trying to set the speed record from my town to college. Both of us walked out without a scratch. About two years later I was a passenger in a Saab 900 as well and we barrel rolled the car coming back from Vermont Reggae Fest with a garbage pail full of ice water and beer. Walked out of that car without a scratch. Passenger in back seat broke a leg, but not bad considering severity of accident.

After I totaled my dads 900 he got a 9 triple 0. That thing was huge inside and awesome. We still have a 900 (last year before GM) at our cabin was in the daks.
It sits for the whole winter, drop the battery in and it starts right up.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 PM

My dad had a 900S when I was growing up, lots of fond memories of that car. I always wanted one, maybe I will have one some day.

Honestly, I used to do some gnarly commuting some years back, 240 miles/day, 99% highway. I had a '96 VW GTI, with the non-turbo 2.0L engine, 5spd manual. I used to average 38mpg in that thing over those distances. That's an hour+ of stop & go 1st/2nd/3rd then back to 1st gear, and then the rest at 80mph cruising.
SUPER impressed with that thing, if I ever am unlucky to have a commute like that again, I vowed to find another Mk.3 GTI 2-banger!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
JAS-39 parts are still production.

So no problems here.
Nice jet as was the -35 and 37 of their era.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 AM

what i think is so funny about saab is that from what i understand the sweds did not buy the car. part of the reason why gm sold the company after not being able to make it profitable. that being said they had a great run in the 80's as a yuppy car, the best model of which was this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (9.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM

oh and wait i actually remember the TWO CYCLE(you mixed oil with the gas) three cylinder car that first was imported here like in the early to mid fifty"s. oh my i am really getting old!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 AM

I had a Saab Turbo back in the 80's. Too many mechanical problems.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Just wanted to chime in:
Ditto, I loved that car and regret selling it. Every so often I look for one just as a fun car.

That said I had no interest in the GM era of Saab so I can't help you there.

William
Such a good looking car. So much character.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM

And my 1992 900 base model 3-door was one of the best, most comfortable and most well-thought out cars I've ever owned. The only mechanical issue I ever had with it was with the A/C compressor, and that had to be replaced when we moved away from Freon anyway.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Such a good looking car. So much character.
Controversial, even polarizing looks, but in my opinion it's still a beautiful car that hasn't aged at all. It's right up there with the Citroen DS in the looks department, in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:08 PM

I had a basic 1989 900, 5 speed manual. While it was a beautiful car, it was a lemon. Ridiculously expensive to maintain - most trouble-prone car I have owned since 1972. Kind of heavy and slow, too. Loved the look and loved the hatchback - could fit anything back there. But don't miss it at all.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Thx for the inputs. I should've clarified, I'm not looking for a vintage saab, and though that label itself may be debatable probably looking at something '07 or newer which I realize puts it in the GM era and is not a saab to most purists.
If you want to come and take a look at 2007 9-3 and take it for a drive, you are welcome to do so. I'm less than an hour drive from you, just across the Delaware in New Jersey.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Cranky!

When SAAB went under, the largest German daily eulogized it as the "car for Theodor Adorno readers."