Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 07:30 AM

Columbus Genius Tubing Ride Quality ?

What is ride quality like? How does it compare to current tubing and earlier tubing like El and Max and earlier steels sl etc. Cosidering a frame made of Genius I know it is. Tig welded other than that not familiar with the tubing

Thanks
Old 03-08-2024, 02:49 PM

I had a Tommasini Tecno Extra with Genius tubes, shaped DT & ST. It was pretty thin so caution was needed for no dents. I think it was from the year 2000. I enjoyed riding it for about 4 years. I have never ridden a Max tubed bike but I did have a Bianchi with EL-OS tubes. I would say they both had similar ride qualities. I think a very strong or large rider might find the Genius tubes a kittle flexy but it worked for me at 170#.

I didn't pay a lot for the frame, between $500 & $600 as I recall. As far as modern tubes? I enjoy my Pego Duende built 2 years ago a lot more but the $$$ amount is pretty far apart.

I would not hesitate to buy a Genius tubed bike if it fits just right and 8 other considerations. Mainly paint color for me. Good luck.

Sorry for the low quality photo. Must be from an old phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tommasini.jpg (80.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 03-08-2024, 02:55 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Lively, springy. But to me all steel feels about the same. Just build and butts and ones weight and power should be in same universe. When ultra butted tubes are used on larger frames, Clydes beware, my 2 cents.