Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 03:17 PM

Is Campagnolo 10 speed still a thing?

Record, Chorus, old school stuff. I like the old ErgoPower UltraShift levers since I can use on a double or a triple. Is it the new 9 speed? Any thoughts? I can see Veloce 10 shifters still out there for sale, put that is Power Shift, goes to bigger gear one shift at a time. Is it still desirable?

I am thinking of going 12 but have like 5 bank boxes of 10 speed stuff.

Last edited by dana_e; 03-07-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:26 PM
Administrator

What's the actual question?

Of course Record and Chorus are up to 12 now, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with, or preventing someone from still riding 10sp stuff.

As far as I know, 10-sp consumables, cassettes, chains, etc are still available and being made.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:36 PM

It is in my world.

I love the robust, mechanical, positive feedback of shifting on this system. I love the ability to rebuild and service the parts--keep them on the road. They feel so good under my hand and on the road. I love the size and shape of the hoods.

Would I run this group on a more contemporary frameset? Well, frankly, I don't--I have Ultegra 6800 on my carbon road bike. Primarily because I was able to get it for dirt cheap and it works so well.

Really, I'm pretty brand-agnostic in my drivetrain choices. I didn't 'grow up' in a particular drivetrain ecosystem. I rode barcons for a long time before switching to Shimano 9-speed brifters, then Campy 10. Since then I've ridden Campy 11, SRAM 10 and 11 . . . Everything works so well these days that I actually enjoy working with different systems in different contexts. (I currently have three bikes: one with Campagnolo 10, one with Shimano 11, and one with SRAM 10.)
Old 03-07-2024, 03:38 PM

We have three bikes here built with Campy 10-speed and for a long time I thought it would always be the apotheosis, but I just had a new Hampsten built with Record 12-speed and I have to say it's awfully nice. No reason you can't do both.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:46 PM

Best components ever made
Old 03-07-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
+1

It's the forum equivalent of a click bait headline.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:51 PM

First Gen 10 spd levers are the only ones that work for me. My hands are too large for gumby Campy, Shimano or SRAM. I expect to be C10 'til I can't ride anymore. Plus, compatibility with any 9-11 spd cranks, Shimano 10 using a S9 rear derailleur with either Shimergo cable routing or a JTek shiftmate, allows any gear range I'd ever want. I see no reason for 11, 12, 13 spd for my current type of riding.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:58 PM

If the 12-30t cassette will be enough for the future few years, go for it.

The cassettes, even at the Centaur level (the one having 12-30t offered) are well over 100.00 for just stacked cogs, and not so widely available.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:21 PM

I mean I guess it depends on what your priorities are? If Campy makes you happy, sure. If you want to go fast then definitely not...any more.

Just like in MTB, people still ride hardtails but they have different priorities than those on a full squish.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:42 PM

I still ride Campy 10 (Centaur Carbon Ultra shift on one and Power Shift on another) because that's what I have. And at my age of 82, it's definitely not my equipment that's holding me back. Would be happy to go to 12 if it made a difference to me. and where I live, don't need a wider range of gears like 12 offers, Centaur 12-30 plenty...with last 3 on carrier. And we've heard on here, Power Shift with "droopy" button more durable than previous Power Shift. And shifting is fine, I think. So...I don't see need to change unless you just want too. Understand that also. New parts are fun.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsbeers View Post
I mean I guess it depends on what your priorities are? If Campy makes you happy, sure. If you want to go fast then definitely not...any more.

I'm willing to bet that any rider that can beat me on a say 20 mile route while riding whatever flavor of 12 speed gear you chose is the same rider that can beat me on the same course riding whatever flavor of 8 speed gear you choose,
Old 03-07-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Best components ever made
Agreed.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Of course Record and Chorus are up to 12 now, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with, or preventing someone from still riding 10sp stuff.

As far as I know, 10-sp consumables, cassettes, chains, etc are still available and being made.
Yep, they're still producing Veloce and Centaur 10speed cassettes, record and veloce chains, chorus square taper bb, and Record/Chorus chainrings, both for 110bcd and 135bcd. Record 1' threaded headsets are also still being made.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:44 PM

Personally I scratched that itch and moved on. There was a time I was always looking for campy 10 stuff. I have owned a bunch of it and cherished it but changing priorities like wanting lower gears, less expensive consumable and less specific tools and wheels... I've gotten rid of it all. I find the shimano eco system more friendly to lower gears, mix n matching and affordable and infinitely configurable vs the very rigid way I used to think and behave w campy 10 (snob mode - everything had to match HS, Post, Hubs).

I'm now much more loose with what I run (hello Claris 8sp!)

If there are others like me, then Campagnolo 10 might be slightly less of a thing. FWIW
Old 03-07-2024, 05:54 PM

Still ride 6 speed and 10 speed. Gears don’t make you faster it’s all in your legs.