Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2023, 07:59 PM

For the sake of comparison, the price for a Coeur d’Acier SE frame and fork was $2,895 in 2008: https://books.google.com/books?id=rc...page&q&f=false.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Pricing Schmicing. Are there any dealers and fitting involved, whether custom geometry or sizing up for standard geometry, or this is a manufacturer direct to customer model and how much money is the buyer required to put up before a bike or frame is delivered?
Excellent point. When I think of Serotta, I don't think of tube profiles. I think of the "Size Cycle."
Old 10-12-2023, 08:12 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Attention, dentists...
Thats hilarious. I didn't know what that was until the LBS I ride with started calling my rig the Dentist Bike. I actually had to ask *** that meant....hilarious that you wrote that.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Excellent point. When I think of Serotta, I don't think of tube profiles. I think of the "Size Cycle."
I think of how it all ended last time and how much of a leap of faith it is to commit to purchasing a bespoke bike. There's a lot more to it than just being a great designer and craftsman.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:38 PM

has anyone here actually taken delivery of one of these junkets that have been popping up every year or 3?

Assuming a contract build with a blessing or virgin sacrifice or something

If he can get the $$$, more power to him. Not at all interested in buying one, just curious as this does pop up every so often. Is there a shop/space that is actively producing? The addy is like a co-working space or something? Lots of boomers with scarves and sandals hanging their hat. If only it was me

If I was to crack open the wallet and make my son drop out of college so I could buy a custom steel frame, it would definitely be a Kirk. Plus I'd find a way to tie it to a ski trip to Big Sky or something. For that price I'd certainly appreciate that the marketer was the actual builder

For the record, Dentists are buying SirVelos these days
Old 10-12-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
For the sake of comparison, the price for a Coeur d’Acier SE frame and fork was $2,895 in 2008: https://books.google.com/books?id=rc...page&q&f=false.
Okay, that equals $4100 today.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
The originals were not lugged and the one I owned had a carbon fork made by Reynolds. I'm pretty sure Ben is not the one doing the building. I'd say more likely than not that the tubing is analogous to Colorado Concept.
This.. the CdA was the steel offering in 2007 when I got my Serotta, though I think the CdA had an F3 fork that year, which was blurry whether it was a Reynolds fork or a Serotta fork at that point?

I think it's getting confused with the CSI, which was a much earlier model from the glory days.

The prices were kind of bananas 15-16 years ago too.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
While we're at comparing prices, look at the MSRP for a new Peg. My personal opinion is that they look like a dog's breakfast, with the exception of their Day is Done model, and people fawn over those things here.
Oof, this one made my laugh. And I would have to agree.

Price is subjective. No matter what you're buying, you're paying for the experience. $65 motel vs $250 hotel. Do you commute in a Ford or a Mercedes? You drive it for the experience, the mental state it puts you in. Whatever it does for you. You buy it for a reason and most likely others won't see that point. You buy a 5,000 sq ft home vs a tiny home, even though they both provide the same basic needs.

I'm sure there's a few people on here who would buy one without tripping over the price. No doubt whoever gets one will be thrilled.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:20 PM
Sunshine

Thru axle rear and QR disc fork? What is this...a large brand entry level disc frame from 6 years ago?

I kid...and I don't. Obviously disc will mean a thru axle fork, but I would think they would at least draw the fork correctly if they are going to make someone pay $6800 for the frameset.
Maybe they could have gotten an accurate picture if they charged an even $7000.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-12-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

For the record, Dentists are buying SirVelos these days
And riding the most brutal, wettest gravel.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:34 PM

Exactly what I did, bought nice CSI had Kirk build me a new threadless steel fork and a custom Tomii Stem. Had James at Stinner custom paint. Voila a new Serotta and it’s even the pink to orange fade with green decals👍🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Just got back from a ride on the CSI...

Lemme see...

Buy a used Serotta frame for under $700
Get a really bling paint job for under $1000
Total with lust fees: $1700

WatamI missing?
Old 10-12-2023, 09:50 PM

But those hygienists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
And riding the most brutal, wettest gravel.
Old 10-13-2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRosa562 View Post
Exactly what I did, bought nice CSI had Kirk build me a new threadless steel fork and a custom Tomii Stem. Had James at Stinner custom paint. Voila a new Serotta and it’s even the pink to orange fade with green decals👍🏻
Great stuff. There’s a lot to be said for giving a timeless classic a whole new lease of life. I’ve just done much the same with a quarter-plus century old Ron Cooper, fork built to suit, and all painted in my all time favourite Legnano lizard green. Far more satisfying than picking something out of an online catalogue, according to my opinion.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
we bring you the incredible feel
of the ultimate steel.
Quote:
Framesets from $6,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
yowza
For steel too..yikes...

So...Ben really thinks he can sell a steel frame for more than a lot of titanium and halo carbon? With a name that we certainly recognize but the cyclist on the street doesn't..Plus no way to test ride...hmmm....

Those frame pix are for colors only, I suspect but you'd think it would show a disc fork, since the frame is disc. AND, no pix of the real frame or bike?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-13-2023 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 08:42 AM

A certain number of us are still here because we were lucky enough to come across a Serotta BITD, and fell for the feel of great cycling again. I still have two. Then we came across this forum, once upon a time the Serotta Forum. If, after all the setbacks and difficulties and whatever- however characterized-, that Ben Serotta has had, he can still build good frames and sell them at a profit, that’s fine. I can’t remember hearing a bad word about the Pronto, I don’t think. I chose to go with a builder who got his start at Serotta, DK, who has been refining his elegant steel frame for a few decades. I’m a repeat customer, a very happy one. I’m also happy that there are a number of builders who started at Serotta. What a great legacy, what a terrific thing for US builders and for us riders. A glass of red for us all.
I know this forum can do better by criticizing technical issues and details than it does by complaining about price. How can you assess the value proposition effectively before the bike is even out there?

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods