Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2021, 07:51 PM

Looks like they basically are D2C

I'm thinking Intense did a reorg a while back and brought in Ryan Dungey and Rick Burlesons kid (who used to run KTM). Maybe they called in their chit? Dungey has been all over the map since he retired and probably wants out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
They actually tried to make a move to go DTC a couple years ago but it didn't last long. I get a funny feeling they need to raise quick $$$ for legal fees they incurred with the BS lawsuit Knolly brought upon them (but was eventually dropped).
Old 06-23-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
If you can fit an XL and your terrain would be better suited to more travel, this is a good option:

https://govvelo.com/products/marin-a...32302958837809
160/150 with a coil for someone who has never mountain biked before? Allow me to respectfully disagree. Marin is always solid spec for the money, but I think this is probably too much bike. Maybe not, I don't know KarlC.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:21 PM

as i mentioned earlier, the price is great for the consumer.
but i do second that the xc geo is kinda crap.

ht angle at 66.4 deg
reach (for a M) at 433 mm
st angle at 72.8

boy o boy, the front end is going to lift up on climbs like no one's business. the bb drop at 30 mm is a bit too high for my tastes.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
160/150 with a coil for someone who has never mountain biked before? Allow me to respectfully disagree. Marin is always solid spec for the money, but I think this is probably too much bike. Maybe not, I don't know KarlC.

Honestly, I don't know the riding around Temecula so you could totally be right.

This thread started because the OP was trying to be helpful by sharing what's in stock. Right now the options are limited and new riders don't have the luxury of getting what's ideal for them if they want it right now.

It's a sad state of affairs to be sure, especially when we're talking $3700 bikes.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:16 PM

+1. I don't think Karl is an enduro bro.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
+1. I don't think Karl is an enduro bro.
1st time MTBer here so most any bike will be to much lol

Old 06-23-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
1st time MTBer here so most any bike will be to much lol

Make sure you get a MTB helmet, Don't forget elbow/knee guards
Old 06-24-2021, 12:51 AM

Trail version is gone...
Old 06-24-2021, 07:05 AM

I bet you Intense sold more bikes over the last 2 days then they did over the last 2 years.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post

Honestly, I don't know the riding around Temecula so you could totally be right.

This thread started because the OP was trying to be helpful by sharing what's in stock. Right now the options are limited and new riders don't have the luxury of getting what's ideal for them if they want it right now.

It's a sad state of affairs to be sure, especially when we're talking $3700 bikes.
That’s a big bike that’s best in terrain which a beginner has no real reason to be riding at first. It will be an absolute bull in a China shop on the cross country trails, which, if we are all honest, 95% of people who ride mountain bikes are on.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
They actually tried to make a move to go DTC a couple years ago but it didn't last long. I get a funny feeling they need to raise quick $$$ for legal fees they incurred with the BS lawsuit Knolly brought upon them (but was eventually dropped).
No, that went away quickly when reality set in for Knolly.
Knolly withdraws patent claim against Intense
Old 06-24-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
as i mentioned earlier, the price is great for the consumer.
but i do second that the xc geo is kinda crap.

ht angle at 66.4 deg
reach (for a M) at 433 mm
st angle at 72.8

boy o boy, the front end is going to lift up on climbs like no one's business. the bb drop at 30 mm is a bit too high for my tastes.
I have a Sniper XC FRO version. It’s the same frame but with 100 mm of travel front and rear via a different shock and fork. Reach on my large is 470 mm, head angle is 67.5. That’s very progressive for a cross-country bike. STA is 74° and makes sense for a bike with short travel, especially one with as much anti-squat as the Intense has built into the frame.

FWIW, it’s the fastest bike I’ve owned on XC trails and is like a mini Enduro rig in the rough.

Complaining about the 120mm version having “crap geometry” doesn’t make sense to me. It’s an endurance XC marathon bike, not an Enduro rig or even a trail bike. Of course the reach gets a little shorter and the STA gets a little slacker with the longer fork, easily remedied by running the saddle a little further forward on the rails and, if necessary, running a stem that’s 10 mm longer. Again, for the intended purpose, it’s a great bike.

As someone who has raced cross country at a high level for years, and has chased progressive geometry the entire time, I honestly feel like we are reaching a point where diminishing returns are coming into play. Some of these new bikes are really only good for going straight up the hill or straight down the hill, and they are purportedly for racing cross country. I think we’ve definitely hit the high watermark for geometry and things will back off a bit in the near future. No one needs a 66° head angle or a 78° seat angle to go fast on rolling terrain, which is what 95% of the US population has outside their back door.

Last edited by tommyrod74; 06-24-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
Trail version is gone...
That was quick. Hope some Paceliners got in on it.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:11 AM

Looks like Intense is offering a budget line of bikes to respond to the current market opportunity. We’ll see how it goes for them.

The actual Intense line of bikes is very, very good. No idea about these new budget bikes, but Primer is great and the Sniper is an excellent lightweight XC/DC bike. I used to have one and liked it a lot. Podiumed on it too, so the bike clearly performs well.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post

Complaining about the 120mm version having “crap geometry” doesn’t make sense to me. It’s an endurance XC marathon bike, not an Enduro rig or even a trail bike. Of course the reach gets a little shorter and the STA gets a little slacker with the longer fork, easily remedied by running the saddle a little further forward on the rails and, if necessary, running a stem that’s 10 mm longer. Again, for the intended purpose, it’s a great bike.

As someone who has raced cross country at a high level for years, and has chased progressive geometry the entire time, I honestly feel like we are reaching a point where diminishing returns are coming into play. Some of these new bikes are really only good for going straight up the hill or straight down the hill, and they are purportedly for racing cross country. I think we’ve definitely hit the high watermark for geometry and things will back off a bit in the near future. No one needs a 66° head angle or a 78° seat angle to go fast on rolling terrain, which is what 95% of the US population has outside their back door.
+1 on all these points.
I posted in another thread about the Sniper back in the winter, outlining how it compares to a number of other XC/DC/marathon bikes I’ve ridden and raced. It compares very well.

Again, I know nothing about the new budget line and I wouldn’t run my business the way Intense does, but the Sniper is a great race bike….an opinion formed by me racing it successfully and also really enjoying it on long fun rides.

Tags
credit card float, try before you buy