Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
I'm going with speed wobble for now.

Is it normal for TT'ers to take high speed corners on the aero bars instead of the handlebars? Looked like she was on the Aeros the whole time. Could that have caused speed wobble?

Totally agree on padding placement. Didn't go nearly far enough through the corner. IMO padding should start just prior to the corner (looks like it did) and end past the exit; how far past depends on the curve. Better safe than sorry. Another case of rider safety compromised.
I agree. Speed wobble. Her centre of gravity at the front was too high. She should have gone down to the drops. TT bikes are so twitchy at the best of times. She took a risk and it didn't work out.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?
Horse, stable door, bolted. Today we can expect to see additional padding extending along the barrier, and the metal pole either removed or also padded up. Very UCI.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:29 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
That was a big wheel wobble. Might have been better to have deliberately hit the padding and not the metal barrier.

Is there time to process that decision? It’s easy for us to consider since we know a crash is ensuing and we can imagine the padding as a possible line. But the rider going 30+ ? I bet there’s two thoughts. First uh oh I’m losing the front end to try and stay upright while turning right and the second thought is I’m about to go over the rail. It’s a couple of seconds at that speed. I know pros see things at that speed differently than we do but the time window is tiny. Look at MAL stage one locked up sliding right at that sign

We’ve seen riders flip over rails but never iirc as resulting in as horrific an injury as to her left knee thigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM

Watched the TT last night......not knowing what was going to happen. Terrible crash. Not sure what happened (sure looks like a speed wobble) but the front wheel did look intact.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:32 AM

Great win by Ganna today, and Gerraint Thomas's performance makes me think he's the favorite for the Giro.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:13 PM

Horrible accident for Chloe. So sorry, the pictures are terrible and praying hard for her recovery.

Amber Neben held her own that's for sure! Congrats to her. Women's RR tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Great win by Ganna today, and Gerraint Thomas's performance makes me think he's the favorite for the Giro.
Every generation of road racers has its time trial champion. Indurain, Ullrich, Rogers, Cancellara, and now it looks like Ganna. It will be interesting to see if his TT prowess translates well to winning road races (a'la Cancellara).

Greg
Old 09-25-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Every generation of road racers has its time trial champion. Indurain, Ullrich, Rogers, Cancellara, and now it looks like Ganna. It will be interesting to see if his TT prowess translates well to winning road races (a'la Cancellara).

Greg
Surely the Panzerwagen isn't forgotten that quickly. RIP Tony Martin I guess.

Somewhere Rohan Dennis is shedding a lone tear as well.

Not sure how much to take from Ganna's win. Couple big hitters -- namely Evenpoel -- weren't there, it's a weird year, etc etc. He is beast mode in the pursuit though.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

Not sure how much to take from Ganna's win. Couple big hitters -- namely Evenpoel -- weren't there, it's a weird year, etc etc. He is beast mode in the pursuit though.
Would have been more interesting, had it been ~hour in duration. This one was really suited for Ganna.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
We’ve seen riders flip over rails but never iirc as resulting in as horrific an injury as to her left knee thigh
It looks like the gruesome part of the injury was a result of her knee hitting the posts holding up the guardrail. As she hits the rail she's at an angle and rides the top for a few feet, then her momentum carries the rest of her body over. Unfortunately her left leg was still clipped into the bike and didn't go over as quickly, and her knee protruding out caught the top of one of the posts.

Just horrific, and hope the best for her recovery - from all her interviews the mental aspect of not competing might be more tortuous than the physical pain.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I agree, taking nothing away from Ganna's superb performance, I am hesitant to draw too many inferences for the future based on this season. But with that said, I can't wait to see the performance he delivers next year, in what will hopefully be a more normal season, and also potentially a longer or hillier course.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:08 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
It looks like the gruesome part of the injury was a result of her knee hitting the posts holding up the guardrail. As she hits the rail she's at an angle and rides the top for a few feet, then her momentum carries the rest of her body over. Unfortunately her left leg was still clipped into the bike and didn't go over as quickly, and her knee protruding out caught the top of one of the posts.

Just horrific, and hope the best for her recovery - from all her interviews the mental aspect of not competing might be more tortuous than the physical pain.
you are right...as she is sliding on the rail her left thigh gets can-opener-ed by the rail-rail interface at the post. its bad enough seeing it on my phone let alone high def to notice that detail.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Bonkers, let the guy enjoy his win, fine performance, tomorrows another day, he is already a legend in Italy today! And WVA, the guy has to much talent for one man, congratulazioni!
Old 09-25-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:

You’re absolutely right about Martin! My bad! I should be sentenced to intervals trying to follow his wheel. I’d probably last 100 meters if I was lucky... As for Dennis, I’m not sure he’s in the same pantheon of time trial riders yet. Time will tell (pun intended).

Greg
Old 09-26-2020, 02:38 AM

Ganna - Ineos
Thomas - Ineos
Dennis - Ineos

Also just signed Dani Martinez (TdF 2020 stage winner), Laurens De Plus and Tom Pidcock (a major talent) for next season.