Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2019, 10:48 AM
2Retro4U

It was 40 Years Ago Today

[I wrote this for the political website DailyKos, but it is also relevant here.]

It was just 40 years ago, late summer of 1979. For a couple of months Gary Fisher had been riding a custom balloon tire bike he had built on a frame made by Tom Ritchey. I had a bike built by Joe Breeze a year earlier. Gary and I had been roommates for about four years, but Gary had recently rented a small cottage where he lived alone. During the time we had shared a house, we had evolved a hybrid off-road bike built on an old Schwinn frame. Then we had taken the next step, bicycles built for the purpose using modern materials and the big tires.

When Tom built Gary’s bike, in addition to Gary’s input he took advantage of what Joe had learned by building ten bikes like mine. The idea of building such bikes and selling them was far from our minds. The world’s supply of such bikes was thirteen, ten built by Joe Breeze, and three built on Tom Ritchey’s frames.

Almost unique among American frame builders of the ‘70s, Tom worked “lugless,” using bronze welding to join tubes instead of the cast sleeves commonly used on steel road frames. That meant he was not limited in the diameter of the tubing he used, or the angles he chose to join them. He immediately used larger diameter tubing than he used on road bikes, and geometry nothing like that of a road bike.

When Tom built a bike for Gary, one for Gary’s friend James and one for himself, he had a revelation. First, he didn’t need to use an expensive double-butted tube set. He could buy straight-gauge chrome-moly tubing in 20-foot lengths straight from the foundry, in the larger diameters he preferred. Second, he didn’t have to build each bike as a unique one-off, like all the custom road frames he was building. He could make two sizes, and even paint them all the same color. By standardizing the frame design, he could cut a dozen tube sets in an afternoon and build bikes the next day.

Building off-road bikes was simple compared to building custom road bikes, and the materials cost far less. For the time and money invested in building one custom road frame, he could build five or size balloon-tire frames. They were so easy to build that he built nine more than Gary had asked him for, in hopes of selling them to his own friends. Tom rode regularly with a group who hit the trails south of San Francisco on what would now be called “gravel bikes,” drop bar, skinny tire bikes built to take abuse.

But because their passion was exploring, they didn’t care for bikes with heavy wheels and big tires, built to take a downhill pounding. They didn’t race downhill. Tom couldn’t unload any of his nine new frames.

Finally Tom called Gary, who had bought one of Tom’s frames and sold one to a friend. Maybe Gary could find a few more buyers. Gary drove the fifty miles to Tom’s place in Palo Alto and picked up the frames. Later that day he tracked me down in Fairfax. He opened the trunk of his battered BMW, and showed me nine beautiful bicycle frames. He explained where they had come from.

“Hey man, you want to sell bikes?”

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had said no, but I didn’t, and it set me off on the greatest bicycle adventure of the 20th Century.

We pooled the money we had in our pockets at that moment, about $200, and rode a few blocks to the bank where we opened a commercial account to handle the profits soon to come flooding in. The bank executive filled out the form and asked what we would call the company. Gary and I agreed that “MountainBikes” was a catchy title, for both the name of our company and the product we intended to sell.

Later on several big bicycle companies bought some of our hand made bikes and mass produced them. Within six years, mountain bikes dominated the bicycle market and in 1996 mountain biking became an Olympic sport
Old 08-28-2019, 11:11 AM

And as they say, the rest is history. Great stuff there! Totally Awesome and dare I say rad!

I still need to see Klunkerz.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Thanks Charlie

To this day I regret selling my last built by Tom P-20

Oh well.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:25 AM
50 bpm

Charlie,

I wrote about the *10-year* anniversary of "MountainBikes" with Gary when I was the sports editor at the I-J.

Time flies, doesn't it?
Old 08-28-2019, 11:28 AM

I rented a mountain bike in Steamboat Springs Summer 1988. Lucky for me I met kid about 15 who was riding the first trail I found and he took me on a tour of many of his local favorites. When I got home I tried quite a few brands/models and bought a Bridgestone MB-3 that I finally sold about 1-2 years ago to one of our Paceline group.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 08-28-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:19 PM

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:28 PM

Thanks - you guys wrote history. Keep these accounts coming!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Classics Fan

That's a great story, and must have been a great experience to live through. That genesis went on to give lots of people smiles over the years, and broken bones
Old 08-28-2019, 03:58 PM

I just remembered that the first mountain bike I rented/rode was a Scott. I don't remember how long they stayed in the bike business.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:03 PM

Thanks for posting this very cool story. Mountain bikes have gotten so many people out on bikes, having fun, being active. Without you guys, no Danny McAskill videos! And around here, no Fellowship of the Wheel. So much can spiral out of a creative idea.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:05 PM

VERY cool! I finally made it to the MTB Hall of Fame in Fairfax last month. It was like a religious journey for me. The wife and kids didn't seem to appreciate it as much and went over to the burger joint across the street for lunch while I drooled, oohed, and ahhhed over the displays.

Thanks for helping to kick off such a great sport! It's what brought me into the world of cycling around 1991.

Texbike
Old 08-28-2019, 05:20 PM

If you are ever in Marin, CA I highly recommend going to the Marin Museum of Bicycling it's very interesting to say the least. You'll get to see what these guys started with and how it progressed. Time well spent when I was in the area.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:13 PM

I used to train with Joe Breeze in the early ‘70s. He really whipped me into shape. I left for Boston about the time Joe and friends started careening down Mt. Tam fire roads on old balloon tire bikes. Never tried it myself, but heard the stories. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2019, 12:38 AM

I say this with all respect and gratitude - Cool story bro!