Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

This guy is right, and we're at a crucial moment when a dictator is needed, although, as he says, it's an election year (and Baltimore is a quick chopper ride from DC). We'll see if they can get their act together, but, if you saw that press conference the other day, well, reminds me of what Mr. Wolf said to the two guys in Pulp Fiction after the car was cleaned.

https://youtu.be/alpaDfnT-Bk?si=ETm5DSldfc-cjQUz
He makes his point "ICS is needed" in the first few seconds, then proceeds to repeat variations of the comment with at times relevant and at other times irrelevant information. (i.e. don't blow up the whale). Since setting up ICS in a situation like this is SOP, to think the Coast Guard, Army Corp of Engineers and MDOT don't understand this is moronic and actually disrespects the men in uniform for the Coast Guard..

I am not sure where he pulled the $100mm/day loss to Baltimore Port number from because it relates to nothing. From a Port Revenue point of view the number in the press is $15mm/day in loss economic activity, but this is an inflated number because looking at the Port's annual revenue the number would be closer to $10mm. The additional $5mm is incremental downstream economic activity from business. (all in you are at $3.3 billion in wages, $2.6billion in business revenue and $395mm in state and local taxes. Some of this will be double counted). The port itself handles $80billion per year in product. That's about $219mm /day. But those goods will just be rerouted to other ports.

Why assume everyone is incompetent? If any of us were in the hot seat, I think we'd be 100% focused on the task at hand.

Mistaking the politicians and others who are forced to mug for the press to give a soundbite breakdown is a waste of time. Everyone would be better off letting the people get to work, and then issuing a structured press release. Unfortunately, in the era of the instantaneous soundbite as news, that's not happening. The real work is being decided when they are not mugging for the press.

The guy on the youtube is just as guilty of this as the rest of the press. Pretty sad side hustle if you ask me. Spitballing

Last edited by verticaldoug; 03-29-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:52 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Chalk this one up to an unfortunate accident folks.

There isn't anything that could have physically been put in place to stop that vessel from taking down that particular bridge at that size and speed given the conditions at night and bridge pillar construction. Besides a working engine or steering that were just checked in port we are only fortunate enough that a mayday went out and more lives were saved.

Hopefully that its for 2024 Sea Vessel Disasters.

2023 - Titanic Sub Titan
2022 - Cargo Ship Felicity Ace full of European Cars burns up
2021 - Suez Canal Blocked by Ever Given
Old 03-29-2024, 11:54 AM
slower than you

Cuomo was/is a jerk, but he got the new Tappan Zee done on budget and on time (4 billion, btw) by being a jerk and butting heads, I'll bet. From what I see right now, if this is done by committee, and the major players in that committee have to be re-elected soon, than this could turn into a sad mess for everyone involved. Baltimore obviously has its problems, and doesn't need this. (I'm moving there, btw, that's why I'm a little obsessed).

Here, this is that press conference I was talking about. It starts out somber and somewhat informative, then the Senators chime in with nothing, but really goes off the rails when Tom Perez gets the microphone around 18:00. It was not supposed to be a campaign rally. It's a disaster assessment. Does not make me confident that anybody is really in charge.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?534558...ridge-collapse
Old 03-29-2024, 11:57 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Chalk this one up to an unfortunate accident folks.

There isn't anything that could have physically been put in place to stop that vessel from taking down that particular bridge at that size and speed given the conditions at night and bridge pillar construction. Besides a working engine or steering that were just checked in port we are only fortunate enough that a mayday went out and more lives were saved.

Hopefully that its for 2024 Sea Vessel Disasters.

2023 - Titanic Sub Titan
2022 - Cargo Ship Felicity Ace full of European Cars burns up
2021 - Suez Canal Blocked by Ever Given
I don't think the engineering is there to stop such a vessel, but to slow it down and absorb a lot of the energy before it gets to the pylon. Hopefully there are some civil and Army corps guys thinking about it.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c40_guy View Post
i'll repeat my earlier post:

this is a cycling forum and we're talking about a maritime accident.

Give it a break.
+1,000,000,000,000,000
Old 03-29-2024, 02:47 PM

The reaction of the pilot to losing power was split second. He called the harbor master and got the bridge traffic shut down in SECONDS. Otherwise, there would have been a lot of vehicles hitting the water. I just wish those poor road workers could have been reached in time.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
+1,000,000,000,000,000
As you can see there are lot of engineers or want a be engineers on this forum, love the discussion that is mostly very informative/educational, rather than reddit and whatever
Old 03-29-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The reaction of the pilot to losing power was split second. He called the harbor master and got the bridge traffic shut down in SECONDS. Otherwise, there would have been a lot of vehicles hitting the water. I just wish those poor road workers could have been reached in time.
This is Paceline. Please try to stay off topic, discussing subjects which are both controversial and unrelated to cycling.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post

I'll never understand the pessimistic outlook.

The world is so much better now than when I was born into it. I believe it will be the same for my children.
Doug,

Much of your wisdom you’ve shared on a number of issues here are delta trails for me, but I really appreciate reading it and especially your positive outlook as required here.

Life and the future are both as good as you wish them to be!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2024, 05:19 PM
slower than you

Lucky guy.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/c...eid=381381958e