Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
We have been very happy with our three Woom bikes. They are insanely lightweight compared to most kids bikes (~18lbs in 24"), and are reasonably good components for the price. Good service when needed as well. They are effectively a flat bar gravel bike in style. Perfectly reasonable for riding mixed road and pavement.
A Woom might fit the bill nicely.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceNiente View Post
We have 2 Clearys in the garage, great kids bikes.

I had the same thought. Finding good kids-sized components might be tedious.

I'm wondering: except for the wheels/tubes/tires, bars and cranks are there any other parts (BB?) that will be specific to the 24" bike?
So crank length, bar width, stem length, and seatpost type (usually zero offset are the big ones). Every kids bike I’ve seen has been 68mm English for the BB but the usual brackets installed are trash even on decent bikes (Trek and Giant both used loose ball square taper brackets and cranks without a spider so you couldn’t change the rings). I switched a 20” Trek Roscoe to a Chinese outboard bearing MTB crank to go with Microshift Advent super short. The Giant CX bike I found a 145 or 150 square taper crank that used a mountain BCD and narrow wide ring but had to install a 103mm BB to get the chainline and Q factor close to correct (original was 117? which matched the issued crank).
Old 02-17-2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
So crank length, bar width, stem length, and seatpost type (usually zero offset are the big ones). Every kids bike I’ve seen has been 68mm English for the BB but the usual brackets installed are trash even on decent bikes (Trek and Giant both used loose ball square taper brackets and cranks without a spider so you couldn’t change the rings). I switched a 20” Trek Roscoe to a Chinese outboard bearing MTB crank to go with Microshift Advent super short. The Giant CX bike I found a 145 or 150 square taper crank that used a mountain BCD and narrow wide ring but had to install a 103mm BB to get the chainline and Q factor close to correct (original was 117? which matched the issued crank).
Great info. I’m leaning in the direction of building up a nice enjoyable, lightweight bike and this is helpful.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:42 AM

I know you're looking for a rim brake bike but one thing to keep in mind is that brake hoods top riding and brake application may be tougher for smaller hands. My 9-year old has a disc brake mtb and a rim brake 650c road bike. He will ride the drops a good bit on the road bike just because of having smaller hands and not being able to pull the brakes as hard while on the hoods.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fly View Post
I know you're looking for a rim brake bike but one thing to keep in mind is that brake hoods top riding and brake application may be tougher for smaller hands. My 9-year old has a disc brake mtb and a rim brake 650c road bike. He will ride the drops a good bit on the road bike just because of having smaller hands and not being able to pull the brakes as hard while on the hoods.
I remember having that problem with the hoods when I was a kid. The cheap 1970’s gruppo on that bike didn’t help. Definitely want to avoid that.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceNiente View Post
I remember having that problem with the hoods when I was a kid. The cheap 1970’s gruppo on that bike didn’t help. Definitely want to avoid that.
You'll want something with a shorter reach. Microshift makes short reach drop bar shifters (I have 8 speed of those on the 24" CX). I've also heard good things about using SRAM mechanical 10 or 11 speed as those have great reach adjustment for both brake lever and shift paddle.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:25 AM

I have my son on his second Frog bike. They make a road/Gravel style bike with drop bars he loves it.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
You'll want something with a shorter reach. Microshift makes short reach drop bar shifters (I have 8 speed of those on the 24" CX). I've also heard good things about using SRAM mechanical 10 or 11 speed as those have great reach adjustment for both brake lever and shift paddle.
True, but keep in mind that reach and actual leverage that small hands can exert on the brakes while on the brake hoods are different and separate topics. My mention above about my own 9-yr old's road bike experience was on short-reach Microshift. I think that's why you will find some kids road bikes with another brake lever on the bar near the stem.