Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 04:37 PM

1Up USA Quick Rack Lock

So i have a quick rack hitch rack and am looking into options to lock it to my vehicle and also lock the bike to rack/vehicle. I just have 1 tray for it. I have decided on a U-Lock to lock the rack to the car, but as far as a cable lock. How long of a lock should I get? Looks like the ones that 1up sells are either 8 or 12 feet. Looking at like a kryptonite chain but I assume those are more for locking a bike to something other than a car rack based on the ones I am seeing are only about 4 feet.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:45 PM

I use the quick lock on my rack to the car and a cable for short term deterrence.

I bought the thickest I could find and 7ft works for me. I have no illusions this will keep someone from stealing it still if out of sight for long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 05-15-2024, 04:57 PM

I’ve been thinking the same. But if you are just going in to Chick-fil-a for a sandwich, do you think someone is going to be able to figure out how to disengage the tension mechanism to steal the bike?

Difficult enough for an owner. Longer term being away is another story.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
I’ve been thinking the same. But if you are just going in to Chick-fil-a for a sandwich, do you think someone is going to be able to figure out how to disengage the tension mechanism to steal the bike?

Difficult enough for an owner. Longer term being away is another story.
Yes, easily. It’s not that hard to figure out with a glance down on my equip d model to see the two levers. I know how to use it but can remove my bike in a matter of a few seconds.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:12 PM

I’m probably more concerned with locking the rack to my car while I’m out riding my bike. But would like to have something to throw on in case I need to run in somewhere on my way to trail for a minute.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I’m probably more concerned with locking the rack to my car while I’m out riding my bike. But would like to have something to throw on in case I need to run in somewhere on my way to trail for a minute.
I figured they would need a grinder to go through the quick lock and a larger diameter u lock won’t make much difference. But I’d like to hear if that is bad logic because I leave it all the time in remote areas.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:32 PM

The quick lock, is that lock that goes through the hole in the receiver, and through the rack? I currently have 1.25” rack that doesn’t have a hole or a slot in it. But do plan to upgrade to the 2”.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
The quick lock, is that lock that goes through the hole in the receiver, and through the rack? I currently have 1.25” rack that doesn’t have a hole or a slot in it. But do plan to upgrade to the 2”.
I have both 1.25” and 2”. When inserted the thinner bar part is mostly hidden in the rack itself so they’d have to, I suppose, pick the lock or cut through the thicker ends.

My 1.25” has an insert…and edit…it’s not completely hidden. The 2” goes through a different part and is more protected.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-15-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:45 PM

I got a keyed lock that goes through the receiver and male end of the rack laterally/horizontally. It’s key-matched to the locks that go through the wheels and rack wheel pieces, so there’s never confusion on keys. I’m really happy with both. At a rest area or a charging stop I can go inside with a high degree of confidence that my bikes and my rack are secure.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Is this just a major oversight on 1Up's part, not designing something to lock the rack to the receiver as a stock item? I mean, these things are damned expensive and everyone should have them locked to the hitch. Seems crazy that they dont just come with an integrated solution.

Another KUAT win.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:52 PM

It comes stock with a lock for equip d…uncertain on the other models. I got extras for the wheels like saab2000 but lost the keys
Old 05-15-2024, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It comes stock with a lock for equip d…uncertain on the other models. I got extras for the wheels like saab2000 but lost the keys
I have a bag for all the locks and keys and keep it secret and keep it safe, like Frodo was instructed to do.

Absent that I’d contact 1UP and buy a whole set again.

I have zero regrets about the 1UP rack in my life. It’s been great. Got it in 2020 and use it regularly, but not weekly or anything like that. But when I need it, it’s there and lockable.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:15 PM

So my rack uses the 1.25” hitch bar like this.

https://1up-usa.com/product/1-25-hitch-bar

There is no slot or hole in it to lock it to the car.

The 2” hitch bar has a slot.

https://1up-usa.com/product/2-hitch-bar-slotted

I think they used to sell a lock (maybe still do) that would drop in vertically that blocks access to hex screw that you use to tighten it to the receiver. The last time I used mine I noticed the bike was wobbling around a bit, so I pulled over and the rack had come loose for some reason. My current solution so it doesn’t fall out is to bungee it to the car.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:31 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

The lock that goes over the anti-wobble security hex is here:
https://1up-usa.com/product/2-2-5-sl...-lock-1-4-turn
This Option
1.25" Hitch Bar Lock, 1/4 Turn
Old 05-15-2024, 07:33 PM

I have the 2” and the bolt that screws the hitch extender into the hitch has a lock that has a key that is like the lock/nut piece that goes through the bike wheels and the tension bars. The bolt that holds the rack in the extender has that funky safety allen key bolt so safe enough. Bought them as accessories and did it at the same time so that they were all keyed the same. If I am leaving the bikes on the rack and I am not close for a number of hours, I also snake a cable lock through the frames and over the frame and through the hitch ring. Also keyed the same.