Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2022, 09:33 PM

I am running a combo of Campy R and SR on my disc bike. I have had plenty of Campy mech over the years and it always shifts well and reliably and it does have a very mechanical feel to it. I like the ergo levers but I dont care much for the thumbshifters mainly because its difficult to reach them from the drops when out of the saddle sprinting. I do like the 12sp as it opens up more options for gear combos. I found the fd for 12sp was a little finicky for setup but once its set its forget.
I do have etap on my other bike and I do like it very much as the paddle shifting is easy to access from any point no matter if standing or sitting. I did actually order the AXS onsale tonight for my disc bike as I do like the paddle shifting so much more. That said I dont think you can go wrong with Campy and if they had the wireless electronic then I would surely consider this as well. The thumbshifting on the EPS is IMO more ergo than the mech groupset.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
the op asked to be told that he'd be making a mistake to try campy chorus. I did that, but suggested a different alternative. I've been there and done that. Sram axs is a better alternative, imo. Riding in heavy winter gloves, etap really shines.
fify
Old 12-12-2022, 07:25 AM

The main advantage of Chrorus 12 isn't over DA9100 but 9200 - since they won't make a mechanical version. I have both a bike in CH11 & CH12 - both using Record ergos. I found out quickly there is really no point in upgrading to 12 speed if the cassettes they sell use gears that you will never use. 11-34? 12-28 would have been nice. I couldn't wait for Shimano to hit the dozen so I bought the expensive Chorus cassette, theres a much cheaper way into 12s now. Keep in mind Campagnolo has degraded Chorus into a lower tier for 12s, its now like a Potenza (not that there's anything wrong with that - I have a groupset ready for a build)
Old 12-12-2022, 07:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe77 View Post
The main advantage of Chrorus 12 isn't over DA9100 but 9200 - since they won't make a mechanical version. I have both a bike in CH11 & CH12 - both using Record ergos. I found out quickly there is really no point in upgrading to 12 speed if the cassettes they sell use gears that you will never use. 11-34? 12-28 would have been nice. I couldn't wait for Shimano to hit the dozen so I bought the expensive Chorus cassette, theres a much cheaper way into 12s now. Keep in mind Campagnolo has degraded Chorus into a lower tier for 12s, its now like a Potenza (not that there's anything wrong with that - I have a groupset ready for a build)
Small point but the Chorus levers are still Ultrashift compared to Potenza which are PowerShift. NOTHING wrong with PS but with multiple higher gear via thumb button, US is a 'better' lever design. And yes, with some materials changing, Chorus is a real bargain..particularly when compared to other 12s, rim brake groups from(or NOT available anymore from) the 's' brands.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:39 AM

Random questions as I mull this potential move over but
  1. can you use other brands' cassettes pretty interchangeably with 12 speed? i agree with other commentors that I would like a 12t bottom end of the cassette
  2. I read somewhere in here thay some people use AXS chains with Campy due to the quick link, is that viable? i am not a fan of the sacrificial pin method woth Campys chains
  3. It seems like some people claim Chorus quality is not what it once was. I am certainly not averse to aluminium brake levers (I had the silver Chorus 10 speed group which might still be my favorite to the day) but ive heard that Record is better quality than Chorus 12 and I've found it in comparable price around the web
  4. Looking at the FD, my frame needs a cable stop to accommodate the Campy FD design right? I've been using the built in stop on the DA FD so I'd need to pick up a clamp on stop or something
Old 12-12-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbm View Post
Random questions as I mull this potential move over but
  1. can you use other brands' cassettes pretty interchangeably with 12 speed? i agree with other commentors that I would like a 12t bottom end of the cassette
  2. I read somewhere in here thay some people use AXS chains with Campy due to the quick link, is that viable? i am not a fan of the sacrificial pin method woth Campys chains
  3. It seems like some people claim Chorus quality is not what it once was. I am certainly not averse to aluminium brake levers (I had the silver Chorus 10 speed group which might still be my favorite to the day) but ive heard that Record is better quality than Chorus 12 and I've found it in comparable price around the web
  4. Looking at the FD, my frame needs a cable stop to accommodate the Campy FD design right? I've been using the built in stop on the DA FD so I'd need to pick up a clamp on stop or something
I can't answer all your questions, but I can say that:
a. you can absolutely use a SRAM Eagle quicklink (so not flattop) to rejoin Campag chains.
b. I and lots of others have had issues with rust on the Chorus callipers. I'd recommend upgrading them to Record.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
I can't answer all your questions, but I can say that:
a. you can absolutely use a SRAM Eagle quicklink (so not flattop) to rejoin Campag chains.
b. I and lots of others have had issues with rust on the Chorus callipers. I'd recommend upgrading them to Record.
Oops should've clarified I'm talking about disc here. I read the Chorus rim calipers are made by tektro(?) though so presumably cheaper materials?
Old 12-12-2022, 09:24 AM

There are no 12 speed cassettes that start with a 12T sprocket. Using a 50/34 or 48/32 crank will reduce your top gear.

If it were me, I'd go electronic shifting. Much easier to set up.

Yes, an AXS chain will work fine.