Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2022, 02:28 PM
Meh

Sticky brand new drive-side XT race pedal

Shimano pedals are so bomber that I have not bought a new pair in a long time. I got a new pair of brand new XT 8100 pedals for the Neuhaus and the drive side feels extremely sticky under rotation. It's not that noticeable when riding, but certainly noticeable when turning by hand. NDS pedal feels fine, DS pedal feels very stiff and the bearing almost feels "notchy" if that's the right word.

Has it just been a really long time since I've bought a new pair that I've forgotten what it's like? Will this free up over time? Or should I get the pedal serviced or warrantied? I don't have a table vise to get the pedal opened up so I'd need to go into a shop for that.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:57 PM
Administrator

I think most 2nd tier and down shimano pedals feel a little draggy at first but they should loosen right up after a few hundred miles. Without feeling your actual pedals I would say that sounds normal to me.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:59 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I think most 2nd tier and down shimano pedals feel a little draggy at first but they should loosen right up after a few hundred miles. Without feeling your actual pedals I would say that sounds normal to me.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Guess I'll see how they are after 200 miles.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:10 PM

When you remove the bearings cartridge from the pedal, it's adjustable.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Or should I get the pedal serviced or warrantied? I don't have a table vise to get the pedal opened up so I'd need to go into a shop for that.
You dont really need a table vise. I've done fairly easily it with two adjustable wrenches.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:46 PM
Meh

So this problem got a lot worse out on the third ride on them. The drive side pedal completely seized up 2 miles from home after a ride. Oddly enough, it can be temporarily “unwound” - unfortunately, by rotating the pedal in the back-pedaling direction. Pedaling forward quickly seizes it up again after a few rotations.

I managed to limp home by ratcheting all the way down 2 miles of Shoreline Highway, which I’m sure looked very funny for anyone who saw me. Thankfully I had decided against a Headlands ride or I would have been ratcheting up dirt on Bobcat (average grade 12%).

This is pretty aberrant behavior for brand new pedals so these will be going in for a warranty claim. More and more I am convinced Shimano has completely lost the plot on QC.

Last edited by EB; 12-05-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:05 PM

That is odd

I hope you arent right about new shimano quality control. Their pedals have always been good to me. Hope the warranty claim goes smoothly.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Administrator

oof, my bad on giving you bad advice.

i've had good luck with shimano pedals over the years. Hope it was just a bad one!
Old 12-06-2022, 12:47 AM

I don’t think there’s anything more reliable out there (says the guy who uses TIME pedals) I am sure you just got a bum pedal…
Old 12-06-2022, 05:02 AM

If you decide to adjust the bearings, you can leave the axle in the crank arm, and screw off the pedal body using a 17mm open end wrench. This will hold the axle securely so that you can mess with the preload.

Keep in mind that the locknuts on one side are left hand thread, and right hand on the opposite side (I can't remember which side is reversed).

^ sounds like the bearing cone and locknut may have been loose. I've had this happen with a Shimano hub once.

Last edited by darkmother; 12-06-2022 at 05:06 AM.