Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
In that case, I'm way behind - in the last few months I've only murdered a few people. I guess I'm not "militant" enough.
Well, I am sure you can get a Jr Stalin badge or something
Old 08-06-2021, 10:14 PM

I had pointed out the commies killing people because they claimed to be atheists.

Unfortunately, it isn't hard to find lots of death in this world. Even Buddhists kill loads of people.

Can you file east india deaths under capatilism? I guess you could if you want to. Maybe not under the text book definition but I don't want to be pulling the no true Scotsman thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
As did the religion of Capitalism under the East India Company. Or should we call that Malthusianism?

Google “India” and “Famine” - then take your pick..

And then there’s Nestle, if you prefer modern examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2021, 10:17 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Well, I am sure you can get a Jr Stalin badge or something
I was thinking more like something from Pol Pot.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:10 PM

I think in the simplest form the question comes to the origin story- where did the universe come from?

Do all societies and religons have one? Probably

If I am simplifying this, doesn't buddhism dodge this question by just saying it is unknowable.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:13 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
If I am simplifying this, doesn't buddhism dodge this question by just saying it is unknowable.
Boy, are they wrong:

Old 08-07-2021, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Sounds like a’religion’ to me.

Quote:
Nothing is known of Sentinelese beliefs. It is thought that they, like nearby islanders, are animists who believe in one god, but also in lesser spirits.
Quote:
So people can be spiritual without necessarily having a religion
Makes sense to me. I like the turtle condo above.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-07-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Boy, are they wrong:

Turtles all the way down
Old 08-07-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
Well, yes, I consider myself to fully fit that definition, and I know many, many other Buddhists who also think of themselves in that way. I consider myself an areligious atheist Buddhist - a Buddhist who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods, and who does not practice religion.
This is an interesting comment and this discussion pretty far outside my interest and knowledge but is Buddhism not one of the world's major religions? How do you square being Buddhist and also areligious?

Curious.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post
Robert Bellah had an argument along those lines in his book,
Religion in Human Evolution

The book Darwin’s Cathedral talks about this. I can’t remember the author but I do remember it being interesting, dense and very difficult to get through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2021, 02:24 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I had pointed out the commies killing people because they claimed to be atheists.

Unfortunately, it isn't hard to find lots of death in this world. Even Buddhists kill loads of people.

Can you file east india deaths under capatilism? I guess you could if you want to. Maybe not under the text book definition but I don't want to be pulling the no true Scotsman thing.
If "capitalism" is being defined simply as "greedy imperialism," then sure you can make that argument all day long. But saying the horrors of EIC was capitalism or the consequence of capitalism is like saying the horrors of the bolsheviks and soviets were "communism." Which is completely wrong. They were murdered by a greedy oligarchy trying to preserve and grow power.

This whole c-ism v c-ism debate is very tired.. neither has ever existed anywhere on this planet, and when neither side can even agree to agree on definitions whats the ****in point? In both isms its nothing more than a privileged minority exploiting a controlled majority.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:38 PM

ot - any cultural or ethnic groups that never had religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
If "capitalism" is being defined simply as "greedy imperialism," then sure you can make that argument all day long. But saying the horrors of EIC was capitalism or the consequence of capitalism is like saying the horrors of the bolsheviks and soviets were "communism." Which is completely wrong. They were murdered by a greedy oligarchy trying to preserve and grow power.

This whole c-ism v c-ism debate is very tired.. neither has ever existed anywhere on this planet, and when neither side can even agree to agree on definitions whats the ****in point? In both isms its nothing more than a privileged minority exploiting a controlled majority.

Yes. Was countering absurdity w. absurdity..

Religion, whether grounded in economic systems or spiritualistic systems, can be used for good or evil.

The historical Jesus was a non-violent revolutionary. His followers? Sometimes not so much. Other times, very much so.

Last edited by Clean39T; 08-07-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
This is an interesting comment and this discussion pretty far outside my interest and knowledge but is Buddhism not one of the world's major religions? How do you square being Buddhist and also areligious?

Curious.
Ask my girls what three things the Buddha said and they will tell you that he told his followers; don’t write any of this down, don’t turn me into a god and don’t make this a religion. Certain sects of Buddhism have certainly become a religion, but in its purist form, it is a philosophy and a series of maxims (4 noble truths and 8 fold path) that are used to help maintain emotional well being while living in the here and now. Of course, all things through time become bastardized.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:53 PM
ZhugeLiang

Religion or not...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.1 KB, 200 views)
Old 08-07-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
not looking to debate anything here, just wondering if any of you overeducated mofos have ever come across any mention of groups of people that simply never had any notion of religion before being contacted by future conquerors?

read the History of Atheism article and several related articles on wikipedia, googled around a bit, but could never find any reference to tribes of people that were original atheists nor mention specifically of there never being any. it seems to me entirely possible that the origin of religion is so ancient to our species, or possibly even predecessor species, that it was carried with every expansion across the globe.. but it'd be cool to reference some kind of scholarly work on the topic

thanks!
I have not. From the beginning we have a religion instinct built into us, a need to worship.

Last edited by Tony; 08-07-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:27 AM

Most experts believe that there were no ancient tribes of atheists. A primitive man quite quickly comes to the idea that there are a lot of laws in the world, most of which his thinking perceives superficially, and therefore there is a temptation to use them in managing the world. The magic ritual becomes such a ""tool"". However, the practice of life makes one doubt the magic of management, which only rarely justifies itself. And human thinking, on the contrary, leads him to ideas about a world where other beings control everything. I am a believer, I often go to First Church Love, so I completely agree with this.

^^^ This is SPAM

Last edited by Keith A; 12-07-2022 at 10:19 AM.