Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Embracing my

There's also Zelle, which does direct bank to bank transactions using your phone number or e-mail to validate. No account numbers are shown to the parties involved. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelle_(payment_service)
Old 12-26-2019, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Certainly has the marks of a scam! Alert whoever the moderator is of the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I donno about that..NOT on facebook but I have dealt with people that don't have a PP account and want to do the snail mail/paper $ route..Even some in the shop that didn't have a credit card..cash or check..and in 13 years only had one bad check..
Old 12-26-2019, 06:30 AM

Facebook scammer advice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I donno about that..NOT on facebook but I have dealt with people that don't have a PP account and want to do the snail mail/paper $ route..Even some in the shop that didn't have a credit card..cash or check..and in 13 years only had one bad check..

It is easy to obtain a PayPal and folks pushing checks or money order over the internet for goods to be shipped away has been around for almost 20 years now. It is probably the oldest of the still run scams. If a buyer can’t pay through the proper outlets then it is likely a scam.

For reference I am not talking about this forum, but Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are huge and full of these types of scams. I have taken a personal check before from folks here and that I have met in person, but no way I am sending out my goods to somebody I don’t know with a Cashiers check/Money order that will clear because I have the funds in my account only to be told later by the bank that cleared it that the funds never went through.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
It is easy to obtain a PayPal and folks pushing checks or money order over the internet for goods to be shipped away has been around for almost 20 years now. It is probably the oldest of the still run scams. If a buyer can’t pay through the proper outlets then it is likely a scam.

For reference I am not talking about this forum, but Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are huge and full of these types of scams. I have taken a personal check before from folks here and that I have met in person, but no way I am sending out my goods to somebody I don’t know with a Cashiers check/Money order that will clear because I have the funds in my account only to be told later by the bank that cleared it that the funds never went through.

Not saying it ISN'T a scam but even in this 21st century I have dealt with people who don't have a PayPal account, not ALL have a credit card, is all.

Yes, the cashier's check/money order gig scam has been around a long time(I'll send you more than the amount, a 'friend' will pick up the item or send it..cashier's check bogus)....BUT..not trying to get into any gun discussion, but most online gun shops have a 'cash' option..that is either a cashier's check, postal money order or personal check..still.....
Old 12-26-2019, 06:48 AM

I solved this problem by deleting facebook, lol.

Venmo is another option. Same company as paypal but for younger people who think paypal is old school and don't realize it's the same thing.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:49 AM

I see major business opportunity that act as middlemen for transactions. Probably an extention of a UPS store.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not saying it ISN'T a scam but even in this 21st century I have dealt with people who don't have a PayPal account, not ALL have a credit card, is all.

Yes, the cashier's check/money order gig scam has been around a long time(I'll send you more than the amount, a 'friend' will pick up the item or send it..cashier's check bogus)....BUT..not trying to get into any gun discussion, but most online gun shops have a 'cash' option..that is either a cashier's check, postal money order or personal check..still.....

Yes, I get it. I don’t think I had a PayPal account myself until a few years ago and do understand the cash business for certain items. I usually suspect something is up though if people are reluctant to come up with a plausible solution for payment of goods from a distance. Postal Money Order ,cashiers checks do exist and I have been wired funds western union as well.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
I solved this problem by deleting facebook, lol.

Venmo is another option. Same company as paypal but for younger people who think paypal is old school and don't realize it's the same thing.
Yep. The real scam is Facebook.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Yep. The real scam is Facebook.
Totally agree. A total time suck and a vehicle for carefully curated narcissism. And a great way to monetize your privacy.

Just received another "inquiry" regarding my SRAM Force groupset. This one was from someone whose profile made them look like an avid cyclist. "What size is it?" was the question. I'm convinced, based off the conversations here, that someone is hacking people's profiles.

Thankfully, the groupset sold to a Paceliner.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Totally agree. A total time suck and a vehicle for carefully curated narcissism. And a great way to monetize your privacy.

Just received another "inquiry" regarding my SRAM Force groupset. This one was from someone whose profile made them look like an avid cyclist. "What size is it?" was the question. I'm convinced, based off the conversations here, that someone is hacking people's profiles.

Thankfully, the groupset sold to a Paceliner.
Not to mention that they harvest more information about you thn you'd like to know, and they constantly try to sell you crap based on your own profile and activity. Oh yeah - they are unable to regulate themselves with respect to misinformation.....and I'll stop there.

'Bringing the world together'...my keester....
Old 12-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Some people still use flip phones and ride bikes with DT shifters.

That said, if you are on Facebook or other outlets buying fairly high end consumer goods I don't think it's unreasonable in this day and age to also have an e-pay account.

That said, not having one does not a scammer or criminal make. I think it still possible to deal with a buyer who wants to use a cashiers check. I believe it's possible to request that the cashiers check come directly from the issuing bank vs the buyer. If the buyer won't do that then I think you have a red flag.

Like skateboarding, cashiers checks are not a crime.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:13 PM

I recently listed some stuff on facebook - in cycling groups and on marketplace and I have a buyer who offered a price that I accepted and they paid with paypal - not friends and family - I wouldn't ask anyone to do that.

I looked at their profile and it goes back to at least 2009, but the person has no friends. They are in the military and the address seems to match the name (and the person's spouse) when I searched it.

I think I'm just being paranoid as everything checks out except for the no friends on facebook -not even spouse or family, although they are in pictures and comments.

I'll probably ship with delivery confirmation just to be certain. I can't see an angle for a scam with how they paid and how everything went down.

anyone ever experience anything like this?
Old 12-06-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I recently listed some stuff on facebook - in cycling groups and on marketplace and I have a buyer who offered a price that I accepted and they paid with paypal - not friends and family - I wouldn't ask anyone to do that.

I looked at their profile and it goes back to at least 2009, but the person has no friends. They are in the military and the address seems to match the name (and the person's spouse) when I searched it.

I think I'm just being paranoid as everything checks out except for the no friends on facebook -not even spouse or family, although they are in pictures and comments.

I'll probably ship with delivery confirmation just to be certain. I can't see an angle for a scam with how they paid and how everything went down.

anyone ever experience anything like this?
Only thing i can think of is that they complain to paypal that the item wasnt as described and they refund them
Old 12-06-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Only thing i can think of is that they complain to paypal that the item wasnt as described and they refund them
I thought of that, but usually I'd be able to get it back as part of it, even if I had to pay for shipping.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:07 PM

Speaking of PayPal…

I received this money request the other day… !!?? Never heard of Jerod Stewart and use my account only a few times a year…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6163A581-F9FF-4C67-8E7E-AE486ACDF5D4.jpg (53.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1030E922-E49C-45C9-9629-6221C89D95DE.jpg (66.2 KB, 57 views)