Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2022, 01:40 AM

How should XC MTB/Gravel shoes fit?

New to XC MTB or Gravel shoes, specifically those clipless ones that look similar to road shoes.

I have about 12-13mm (~0.5'') of toe space length wise when wearing them at home so probably <10mm after a couple of hours in the saddle thanks to feet swelling. The width seems fine, not too narrow and no sliding left and right. This is basically the same as my road shoes, perhaps 1-2mm less in length than here.

I can feel a very slight heel lift when walking but next to nothing when I'm pedaling on the bike. When the BOAs are tightened down, I can hardly fit half of my index finger into the heel of the shoes unless I really push/squeeze my feet forward to touch the toe box. No feeling of heel lift in my road shoes.

So do you guys think these shoes provide a good fit or should I size down half (from my road shoes) at the risk of cramping my toes?
Old 12-05-2022, 06:01 AM

I want mine to fit exactly like my road shoes fit.

I specifically like brands that have road/mtb shoes that are basically the same model, just with added tread. That way once you know your road shoe fit, your mtb shoe fit is exactly the same.

Shimano and Specialized are like this.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:03 AM

Well I go the opposite normally, just for comfort on the Off road shoes. I do half size up on mtb vs my road shoe.

In the end is all about comfort, if it feels good it probably is good.
I like the bit snugger fit on the road shoe, but in reality in use I normally cannot tell while pedaling.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:15 AM

I'm with KonaSS on this one and run the Shimano RC901/XC901 combo. They're both extremely comfortable, I see no need to size up.

12-13mm seems like waaaay too much free space in front of your toes for a performance fit though, but that could just be the skier in me.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:41 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydoesntknow View Post
12-13mm seems like waaaay too much free space in front of your toes for a performance fit though, but that could just be the skier in me.
+1: too much free space

My feet don't expand in cycling shoes like they do in running shoes. I want a comfortable but snug toe box. I want the tightening strap/boa to be able to pull tight without going to the end of the ratchet.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:38 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
New to XC MTB or Gravel shoes, specifically those clipless ones that look similar to road shoes.

I have about 12-13mm (~0.5'') of toe space length wise when wearing them at home so probably <10mm after a couple of hours in the saddle thanks to feet swelling. The width seems fine, not too narrow and no sliding left and right. This is basically the same as my road shoes, perhaps 1-2mm less in length than here.

I can feel a very slight heel lift when walking but next to nothing when I'm pedaling on the bike. When the BOAs are tightened down, I can hardly fit half of my index finger into the heel of the shoes unless I really push/squeeze my feet forward to touch the toe box. No feeling of heel lift in my road shoes.

So do you guys think these shoes provide a good fit or should I size down half (from my road shoes) at the risk of cramping my toes?
The width is fine and the length is 1mm longer than your road shoes. The shoes do not shift when you are on the bike and pedal.

^ that seems pretty ideal.

The snarky answer to 'how should they fit' is to just say 'comfortably'. Its snarky, but true. If there is a little heel shift when walking, oh well. They arent walking shoes- they are cycling shoes- and when cycling you say they fit well.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I want mine to fit exactly like my road shoes fit.
+1.

Fit should be similar.

The exception might be trail shoes (vs XC/gravel). Usually a more flexible shoe in general and I usually like a bit more room for long days in saddle with some walking. But, that's usually built into the shoe, so still no need to size up/down.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:41 AM

I'm kind of down with the "don't worry about heel lift" thing too. I have had heel lift in my last few pairs and other things that are semi-annoying but disappear completely once you're on the bike.

However I guess you do want to think about what happens pushing the bike for MTB if you have to get off. It can get annoying there. The heel lift in my shoes can be annoying if I have to walk up an ultra steep slope that I can't ride up and I'm worried about slipping. I'll lay my whole foot down for maximum traction then when I push off the stiff bike sole doesn't want to bend with your foot and your heel can almost pop out completely unless the BOA is tightened really tight.

Mine are also not ultra stiff soles.. but it's still not enough flex to be ideal if you have to get off the bike in technical terrain. It doesn't matter a whole lot unless it makes you fall.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydoesntknow View Post
I'm with KonaSS on this one and run the Shimano RC901/XC901 combo. They're both extremely comfortable, I see no need to size up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
+1: too much free space

My feet don't expand in cycling shoes like they do in running shoes. I want a comfortable but snug toe box. I want the tightening strap/boa to be able to pull tight without going to the end of the ratchet.
Interesting, do you mind sharing if your feet are narrower than average?

Mine are 100mm wide and 270/271mm long, and getting down to ~5mm toe room most likely will crush my toes after some hours in the saddle. Maybe a more squared toe shape would work but hard to find shoes like that without going to wide fitting which may leave excess space elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:16 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Interesting, do you mind sharing if your feet are narrower than average?

Mine are 100mm wide and 270/271mm long, and getting down to ~5mm toe room most likely will crush my toes after some hours in the saddle. Maybe a more squared toe shape would work but hard to find shoes like that without going to wide fitting which may leave excess space elsewhere.
My feet are pretty close to average width, but I have very flat soles and genetic hammer toes. I was thinking about your response, and my feet used to expand on long brevets. 10's of thousands of miles later, they really don't do that anymore.

Also, better shoes have better adjustment--both in the ratchets and the ratchet placements. I started out at the low end and worked up.