Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2022, 07:01 AM

Oh man, I'm a complete novice too, and agree it's brutal when you just want to beat someone and they methodically grind you into dust. so humbling!
Old 12-05-2022, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I started playing around third grade. There was a group of kids who would play after school everyday consisting of 3rd to 6th graders. This group was ruthless and after getting my arse served to me numerous times I started finding and reading as many books about chess strategy as I could. It was nice to get to the point that I started being able to hold my own and then starting beating them. Great game with so many possible outcomes.

Anytime I play that competitive streak comes.

W.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:23 PM

An interesting article on the cheating scandal that is currently rocking the pro ranks: NYT - Hans Neumann is the Bad Boy of Chess. But did he cheat?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
An interesting article on the cheating scandal that is currently rocking the pro ranks: NYT - Hans Neumann is the Bad Boy of Chess. But did he cheat?
Hey, if they can X-ray the bottom brackets of bicycles looking for illegal hardware, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to X-ray the "bottom brackets" of chess players...
Old 12-05-2022, 09:10 PM

shout out for lichess.org -- totally free and very easy to find a fast game. They also have a puzzle of the day which is good for tactics

For the heads -- with white I only open the Orangutan and with black I play the Pirc (if I can)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:57 PM

Oh man. I play with my son. On chess.com my rating has been over 1000, but never for long. Normally 800 +/- if I am playing a couple of games a week. Under 800 it is crazy because it is completely unpredictable. I also think there are quite a few who cheat. Why? It is an online chess match - no one cares. Why cheat?

Anyway, it is pretty easy to beat the AI to above 1000, but stockfish... some of the moves deemed best I do not see at all, and even when shown still don't see the trap. Anyway, a rating of 800-1200 is beginner rating from what I hear. I am not going to sit down and memorize games and all of the counters. Concepts yes - memorize? I have far better things to memorize and can hardly keep up with developments as it is. I need a better 'organic neural network'.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:04 AM

it's not memorizing moves, it's knowing openings. I've played since I was kid but not really very good. There are a few youtube channels that goes into just about any opening you can think of. I found that just playing a few openings really helps.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:27 AM

Two things from my youth that I no longer do--play bridge or chess. The old saying "to much of a game to be taken seriously, and too serious to be much of a game" comes to mind for both.

I was a decent bridge player, mainly because I started partnering early with someone who was very good--and he taught me a lot in a short time. The only thing I miss about it? Bridge nights with a old GF's family--we'd play two tables and rotate in and out, and those taking a break were producing snacks...

Chess--never got very good. My big brother--who was both a better bike racer and chess player--learned enough openings and strategies that he could reliably clobber me pretty quickly. The last time I played was quiet week nights at our ski club rental cabin, where there was not much else to do in the evening if you wanted to be up early to ski... Since it is a tied memory, I suppose I miss chess in that particular time and place.

Geez, I sound like such a geezer.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:42 AM

I used to play a lot, now i dont have as much time but i love chess.
Tho i mostly played blitz as i find it more up my alley as i get impatient in longer games.

I think i almost reached 1800 on chess.com at some point but im now struggeling to keep at 1600 for some reason. My mind is full of other crap i guess
Pitty chess gets more about memory (at least this is my experience) and less about "thinking" after a certain point. So is more fun in the earlier stages imo.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 12-06-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
If you haven't already, you should watch The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.
Fantastic series, and the actress has become a star! (Which may or may not be a good thing.)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
it's not memorizing moves, it's knowing openings. I've played since I was kid but not really very good. There are a few youtube channels that goes into just about any opening you can think of. I found that just playing a few openings really helps.
Knowing openings and counters = memorizing.

Last edited by Dekonick; 12-06-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
Fantastic series, and the actress has become a star! (Which may or may not be a good thing.)
Imagine consuming alcohol like that and competing at the highest level of anything.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:25 PM

chess.com lets you play vs varying levels, so you can be really
smart or really dumb
Old 12-06-2022, 10:21 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_d12 View Post
chess.com lets you play vs varying levels, so you can be really
smart or really dumb
I think I'll continue to play against my micro-computer driven set (which I have a hard time beating even at it's lowest level) and keep my lack of chess skills to myself.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:23 PM
Randomhead

I remember my fil had a computerized chess set 30 or so years ago that could beat me. I can't imagine how badly it would go for me against a modern ai