Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2022, 10:29 AM
Pack fill

I have the State branded Sensah 11 speed group on my Litespeed gravel bike. I have the Tektro Mini V brakes and the levers work well. I had a 105 group with the 11 speed mechanical levers but the brake pull was less and I had to run travel agents with the mini v brakes. The Sensah stuff is really pretty good and worth a try IMO. The rear is 11-42 with a 40 upfront.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I have the State branded Sensah 11 speed group on my Litespeed gravel bike. I have the Tektro Mini V brakes and the levers work well. I had a 105 group with the 11 speed mechanical levers but the brake pull was less and I had to run travel agents with the mini v brakes. The Sensah stuff is really pretty good and worth a try IMO. The rear is 11-42 with a 40 upfront.
Sensah + Klampers would be the ultimate troll job
Old 12-01-2022, 10:45 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Buying a 2x crankset, front derailleur, short cage rear derailleur, and rim brakes just to get a pair of shifters doesn't seem particularly efficient.
Oh, it took me going thru this whole thread to find what you referred to- its potatoe's link to a group for sale.
Agreed, that doesnt seem like a great option.
So thats basically 2 posts in 2.5 pages that dont seem ideal and both were pushed back on pretty quickly.

I would still say the thread has been quite helpful to the OP as it has given him multiple legitimate and correct options to consider. Yes, in that info, there were 2 errors. And even then, the Campy group isnt an error since Klampers could work with those shifters, its moreso just not an ideal setup.

Spoon's complaint, and your agreement, just seem pretty unjustified when applied to what has so far been offered up in this thread. Oh, and I see spoon just critically responded to a legitimate 1x option now. It isnt an option I would consider, but I fail to see why that option should be met with a critical response.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 12-01-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:02 AM

Hi all, I'm going to mansplain how this thread is going...whoops I see somebody has already beat me to the punch...
Old 12-01-2022, 11:20 AM

Rather than cobble something together, I would go to bike24 and get the Ekar group for 840 euros - $879 today's exchange. A pair of Klampers cost half of this anyway. The Paul's are nice brakes - I have two sets, but I'd rather have the Ekar's. You still have to get the bb, rotors and adapters but IMO you're not compromising.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:43 AM
Meh

Dry brakes amirite
Old 12-01-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
Rather than cobble something together, I would go to bike24 and get the Ekar group for 840 euros - $879 today's exchange. A pair of Klampers cost half of this anyway. The Paul's are nice brakes - I have two sets, but I'd rather have the Ekar's. You still have to get the bb, rotors and adapters but IMO you're not compromising.
The voice of reason.

This thread has been very helpful. Thank you all who contributed.

It seems swimming against the tide is not smart, and I may just relent and get a unified group and hold my nose.

I have enjoyed cycling all my life on simple, beautiful machines, and now I see that digging my heels in is a futile effort.

Still not sure what group I will get, but it will be a dedicated, unified group with wet brakes, but I'm still holding out on mechanical derailleurs. For as long as I can.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:54 PM

The Ekar group would seem to be a good choice. It does require a rear wheel with the N3W free hub body.

I switched from cable operated calipers to hydraulic recently. It wasn't a big deal. I watched videos to learn the bleed procedure. Some sort of bleed kit is needed.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:04 PM
Hater

GRX400 10 Speed Tiagra Shifter

I went this route for my 10 speed DT hub wheelset and old Carl Strong cantilever frame-

GRX 400 set with 10 Speed Tiagra Shifters for the brakes. Paul Mini Moto on front. It has to be the new Tiagra shifter for the pull ratio to match. The 2x ran a little over 5 hundies to Shimano plus the Paul brake. It would be less for a 1x.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:15 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
What chainring and how big cassette?

GRX is only hydraulic
Unless you mix ST-R685 with the rest. I just posted ISO/WTT for bit to do some of this..
Old 12-01-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Unless you mix ST-R685 with the rest. I just posted ISO/WTT for bit to do some of this..
What
Old 12-05-2022, 07:37 PM

Here's an idea: strap a friction shifters to a single speed mech brake lever and get yourself a manual transmission gravel bike.
I made one myself (and the set is FS/FT) but you can also get them from gevenalle: http://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/
Old 12-05-2022, 09:02 PM

This thread is basically that emoji with the spinning beach balls for eyes

I found this page on Bikepacking.com super interesting in trying to piece together a mullet set-up without AXS. Some of the options require some tinkering (Ratio, Gabaruk) but just about all are based on mechanical shifters.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/guide-t...t-drivetrains/

KJ