Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Anyone here from the Bay Area ever encounter Barry Bonds on a ride? He's on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/8976.
He went to my health club. I encountered him several times in the steam room pre covid. As well as cycling. Nice guy.

My feeling is Bud Selig should be remove from the HOF since he created an environment that allowed steroid to become systemic. Everyone was doing it and Bud did nothing. As commish he should of been the adult in the room. He failed. And the sports media failed as well for not speaking up and now pretending they were not aware of the rampant problem. If they weren't aware then they need to have their press passes taken for being fools. But Bud failed the most.

Last edited by joosttx; 01-26-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:27 PM

Lets be real, Bud's job was to make money for the owners and he very well did that. he couldn't give two hoots about drugs.
Now that all the money is in the bank, lets throw Bonds and Clemens under the bus.

As for cycling, I did a group ride on Zwift this fall that he (Bonds) was on.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:03 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Now that all the money is in the bank, lets throw Bonds and Clemens under the bus.
Yes. The sportswriters who now sit in judgment also made money and knew all along what was going on. Rather petty to favor some jerks over others when it’s all in the past, but this is the way, apparently.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:05 AM

Baseball is in my blood. —Mark McGwire
Old 01-27-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
He went to my health club. I encountered him several times in the steam room pre covid. As well as cycling. Nice guy.

My feeling is Bud Selig should be remove from the HOF since he created an environment that allowed steroid to become systemic. Everyone was doing it and Bud did nothing. As commish he should of been the adult in the room. He failed. And the sports media failed as well for not speaking up and now pretending they were not aware of the rampant problem. If they weren't aware then they need to have their press passes taken for being fools. But Bud failed the most.
Now THAT we can agree on
Old 01-27-2022, 09:50 AM

To me it's laughable to exclude all-time greats like Bonds and Clemens based on PED usage that was endemic when they played, particularly when other PED users like Big Papi are allowed in. This is particularly true given that the PED usage by stars in the late 90s was really integral to bringing the game back after the 1994 strike. MLB leadership and the baseball press knew, or should have known, about PEDs being commonplace at that time, but they didn't generally take corrective actions or even report on the phenomenon. It strikes me that, particularly as to Bonds, the real reason he's been kept out is not PEDs (again, other PED users have been voted in) but rather because he was surly toward reporters.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Old 01-27-2022, 05:57 PM
VAV

Good read IMO regarding Bonds and cycling.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/h...-bonds-cyclist
Old 01-27-2022, 06:56 PM

Good read indeed.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:18 PM

A little diversion....My father assembled these scrapbooks in the mid 40's. The Maris/Mantle my mother did and assume it was her who took the pictures and got the autograph outside of Fenway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5765.jpg (106.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5768.jpg (94.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5769.jpg (103.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5770.jpg (102.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5766.jpg (90.7 KB, 143 views)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vav View Post
Good read IMO regarding Bonds and cycling.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/h...-bonds-cyclist
Great article. As others have mentioned, the inclusion of Selig into the HOF while denying a plaque to Bonds and Clemens is a joke.

My favorite passage in the article:

“During a “teary-eyed soliloquy at his 50th birthday party,” which featured a “cake molded into the shape of a mountain with the figure of a rider at the base,” Bonds told friends and family that cycling saved his life. He repeated the claim to ESPN. “Cycling took me away from a lot of pain I was going through, a lot of personal problems,” he said. His favorite photo is one taken during the midst of his three-week trial in 2011. It was the first time he rode across the Golden Gate Bridge, and the only time during that period that he felt stress-free.”
Old 01-28-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
A little diversion....My father assembled these scrapbooks in the mid 40's. The Maris/Mantle my mother did and assume it was her who took the pictures and got the autograph outside of Fenway
Some great history there.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:23 PM

Contemporary Baseball Era ballot:

In - Fred McGriff
Not in - Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro, Curt Schilling
Old 12-05-2022, 08:23 AM

Todd Helton, a lifetime .316 hitter, only got about 50 percent of the votes he needed to make the hall
Old 12-05-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Contemporary Baseball Era ballot:

In - Fred McGriff
Not in - Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro, Curt Schilling
Utterly ridiculous. Bonds and Clemens were HOFers before they started juicing. The best hitter and pitcher of their era. And Schilling was always a dick. Why is he being punished for that? Let's get Ty Cobb out of the hall. For starters.

Mattingly not in and McGriff is? B.S. The dude had a lifetime BA of .307 and NINE Gold Gloves. And, while we're at it, why isn't Dewey Evans in? With his nearly 400 taters and kaboodle of Gold Gloves. I'll tell you why....anti-mustache prejudice. It's pernicious. And insidious. And it needs to be called out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...ache_Institute

#jamesdak, where are you? Take a stand. Fly your furry freak flag freely. And confront this hirsute hysteria with unequivocal force. Donnie Baseball and Dewey for Cooperstown.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:15 PM
what's a little rust?

Glad to see the crime dog have his day!

As for the rest, they should put the players in and toss Selig out.