Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 06:34 AM

OT: Porsche Guy or Alfa Guy?

I'm trying to deal with my new addiction--watching the auctions on BAT for cars that I can't afford.

Observations:
Porsche prices are insane (except for the 986/993 with the IMS cloud over them.) Even 944s are getting expensive and people are paying real money for 928s!

Alfas seem to be selling cheap--well, comparatively.

So it you were picking a budget project/fun car--would you go down the Porsche or the Alfa rabbit hole?

I happened across a local '86 Alfa Spyder for a measly $600 and it was mostly there, which is how I started thinking about Alfas (again). How had could it be I said to myself. (Actually I have some idea--my brother had three over a number of years that he kindly let me drive and we wrenched on together.)

Last edited by paredown; 05-25-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:54 AM

Porsche-Reliabilty

987's are fantastic cars and are inexpensive in the scheme of things.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I'm trying to deal with my new addiction--watching the auctions on BAT for cars that I can't afford.

Observations:
Porsche prices are insane (except for the 986/993 with the IMS cloud over them.) Even 944s are getting expensive and people are paying real money for 928s!

Alfas seem to be selling cheap--well, comparatively.

So it you were picking a budget project/fun car--would you go down the Porsche or the Alfa rabbit hole?

I happened across a local '86 Alfa Spyder for a measly $600 and it was mostly there, which is how I started thinking about Alfas (again). How had could it be I said to myself. (Actually I have some idea--my brother had three over a number of years that he kindly let me drive and we wrenched on together.)
Yeah, old air-cooled 911s have gone crazy. However, old Alfa prices have become insane as well for the most part. Only the 105 Spiders, Alfettas, Milanos, and 164s seem to be somewhat affordable at this point.

As for the 105 Spiders, they can be money pits if you pick up the wrong one. A project can quickly exceed the current market values by the time you do the mechanicals, paint, top, and interior. That $600 project can end up being way more expensive in the long run than just buying a really nice, original example. The absolute nicest examples of the Series 3 Spider like the one you mention can be found for under $15K all day long. The prices just go down from there. They're fun, simple cars that are actually quite reliable.

I've had a half dozen of them over the years. While, they're not a 911 (from a performance perspective), they have their own quirky charm. My pick is a Graduate for its simplicity and add Campagnolo 5 spoke wheels to it from the Veloce model to complete the look. They're perhaps the best deal in classic sports cars at this point.

Good luck with your search!

Texbike
Old 05-25-2019, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Nah, I want an old SPG like the one I used to own...

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saab copy.jpg (91.6 KB, 666 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 07:23 AM

Dunno, a project is a project, and I've never really acquired a true project car (unless you are counting the old Buick K Car my dad gave me when I was in grad school back when people still had K cars; and that was a different kind of project). The cars you mentioned are pretty different from each other, yes?

Selling my '06 M3 ragtop, I think. Alas.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:54 AM
il Curmudgeoni

I like both....but what I really want is a TVR 2500M.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:58 AM

hyundai guy here
Old 05-25-2019, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

ALFA, all day, everyday..for the same reason you lust after a bike frame with the 'far superior Italian threading'....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dec39f40e5cc2f3874abb672ebc9bdfc.jpg (51.8 KB, 636 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 08:11 AM

Want a fun car that won’t kill the budget? Look at a Mazda MX-5/Miata.

Tons of fun, reliable, extremely well built, etc. I had one and hope to own another.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:23 AM

if I were 6 inches shorter (I'm 6'4" tall) I would have a 1966-1994 red Spyder as their are so many great deals on the bay. I loved those cars unfortunately built for shorter people. a friend of mine way back his parents bought him one brand new. I can tell you that I could hardly drive at my size. I still loved the car. imho on of the prettiest cars ever built and handled great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (10.5 KB, 619 views)

Last edited by alancw3; 05-25-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:23 AM

The Porsche bubble will burst IMO. Prices won't tank, but they will start to come back towards reality....the market can only support so much. Anyway that's the feedback I get from my friends that play in the exotic/ supercar space.

If you want a Porsche and can live with the headlights, a reasonably nice 996 can still be found sub $20k.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 AM

my favorite porsche ever is the 2002 gt2. basically a race car street licensable for the street. so much more ridiculously priced was the 2018 gt2 rs. like $450,000. what I see as a game changer is the much anticipated mid engine c8 corvette. from what I have read for $100k-$150 (depending on performance options) you are going to get super car performance. supposed to be released 7/18/19 as a 2020 model. this is actually the most anticipated corvette ever. I just hope it lives up to all the hype.

Last edited by alancw3; 05-25-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Porsches are to expensive and have been for quite a while and now the prices seem to drop so cant use the "investment excuse" to get one anymore.

I made my choice 2 years ago. I have no regrets, the turbo still makes me smile every time, its like im driving this mad rally car only it has handstiched interior and walnut inserts *** Oh and plastic buttons that break and pop out for the complete mazerati surreal feel.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 05-25-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Alfa all the way. Those German cars are nice, but not at current prices.

Also, every family meal I can remember included a long winded conversation between Alfisti and Lancia fans. Having owned both I will never forget driving the family Alfa 75 (Milano in the US) with what was a fantastic 2.0 liter non turbo.

Then again I learned to drive on a Lancia Beta Coupé 1.3 - driving a fast car slowly... 😁
Old 05-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Porsche cars are somewhat reliable... They say there's upwards to 70% of the original cars still on the road, and that's not because or reliability. That's because Porsche owners have good mechanics, and cherish keeping service records.

Having "Engine out" service to fix common issues isn't reliable. A Honda is reliable. I know people who won't drive their old 911's over 100mi (Towing distance) because something will break and will ultimately be an expensive fix.

That being said, I'm in the market for a 997.1/2 Carrera 4S manual. I always wanted a 997 GT3 until my best friend bought one. It's such a raw car and hard to live with. For the price he paid for the car, it's not a vehicle you can just hop in and drive daily. The noise, rattles and level of attention of shifting the gearbox makes it a hard $100,000 pill to swallow as it sits in the garage most of the time.

If I can get my hands on a 991.1 GT3 with the 10yr enginer warranty, that would be the ultimate. PDK makes sense in that car. It's so large and PDK makes the car a daily driver