Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 10:24 AM

He's an idiot and will die a loser.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:25 AM

I guess his point is that he couldn't have been competitive without doping, which is undoubtedly true given how uniformly prevalent it was in that era. I don't exactly fault him for doping, but the vicious measure he undertook to protect himself do bother me.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
He's an idiot and will die a loser.
I can't believe I'm even going to get involved in this conversation, I never take part in you guys' Armstrong indignation. Besides the fact that literally EVERYONE was actually doing it, without cheating, he would not have been competitive, so of course he "does not regret anything." He's rich (still, right?), he's famous, he has benefitted from his cheating enormously. He won the tour seven times, against a bunch of other guys who were doped to the gills. We know his name and argue about what kind of a jerk he was and still is, while he still lives his life of fame and fortune. I don't see idiot or loser.

Who knows what he would be doing if he didn't join the program. Maybe a doctor, maybe a waiter, maybe a car salesman? Maybe he wouldn't have found out about his cancer as early and would be dead, or maybe he would not have been able to treat it as aggressively, or maybe without the drugs he never would have had cancer at all. He has lived a life or fame and wealth.

I know what he really did to tick you guys off was to be an unapologetic a$$hole, for which we should all feel free to hold a grudge, but why be mad about cheating in bike racing.

It's like being mad at professional wrestlers who say that the WWF is real. Are you up nights worried that Hulk Hogan is still profiting off of his corrupt winnings?

Seriously, are you guys going to act all shocked when the guys racing now turn up positive on the next generation of tests?

Last edited by DRZRM; 05-24-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM

I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
I can't believe I'm even going to get involved in this conversation, I never take part in you guys' Armstrong indignation. Besides the fact that literally EVERYONE was actually doing it, without cheating, he would not have been competitive, so of course he "does not regret anything." He's rich (still, right?), he's famous, he has benefitted from his cheating enormously. He won the tour seven times, against a bunch of other guys who were doped to the gills. We know his name and argue about what kind of a jerk he was and still is, while he still lives his life of fame and fortune. I don't see idiot or loser.

Who knows what he would be doing if he didn't join the program. Maybe a doctor, maybe a waiter, maybe a car salesman? Maybe he wouldn't have found out about his cancer as early and would be dead, or maybe he would not have been able to treat it as aggressively, or maybe without the drugs he never would have had cancer at all. He has lived a life or fame and wealth.

I know what he really did to tick you guys off was to be an unapologetic a$$hole, for which we should all feel free to hold a grudge, but why be mad about cheating in bike racing.

It's like being mad at professional wrestlers who say that the WWF is real. Are you up nights worried that Hulk Hogan is still profiting off of his corrupt winnings?

Seriously, are you guys going to act all shocked when the guys racing now turn up positive on the next generation of tests?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Wait. This answer seems far too rational. Please inject some overheated hyperbole into it...
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM
'97 Ti Legend

If BT and I agree it's a big day for the Paceline, where is our like button, for both of you guys?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:43 AM

I'm not mad that he cheated his ENTIRE race career. He should be banned from every race that includes two wheels.

And, I'm not mad at all. I just don't like the guy.

With that being said, cheating is one thing.

Suing every person who called you out on it is another thing.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:43 AM

that's YUGELY true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Some people simply aren’t capable of remorse. They’re so fragile that admitting fault would destroy them. It’s like a house of cards. Pull one off the bottom row and...

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Textbook narcissism 101.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 AM

I tried listening to his podcast. He has some interesting guests, but he's a terrible interviewer, much too self-absorbed.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
(..) Armstrong, who overcame cancer to win the first of his seven consecutive Tour de France titles (...)
Let's not forget an increased risk of testicular cancer is a side effect of abusing steriods. That is, *even his cancer* was probably caused by the doping he was doing early in his career.

The inspirational story of "overcoming cancer" is all part of the lie.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 AM

I bet that there was at least one yellow wristband-wearing Lance supporter in this thread, but it's now cool to hate on The Greatest American Cyclist Ever (next to LeMond, of course), so feel free. I mean you gotta admit, 25 replies and all 25 folks were anti-Lance back in the day?

But as for the topic at hand? Good for him.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 AM
50 bpm

Quote:

For me, who raised tens of thousands for the foundation, the off-*issing comes down to this: It's one thing to be a doper; many riders were. I'm disappointed that he doped but not "mad" about it. But it's another thing to reputationally assassinate anyone who dares question you. That's where he lost me. (Actually, he lost me when he divorced Kristin, but that's another story.)
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Regardless of the history books Lance internalizes all of it knowing he still won all those races and despite the law feels it was a fair and equal fight.

He has a point.
I agree, they all cheated. Literally all of them. I listen to his stuff and would watch him if he raced or commentated.

Last edited by Mikej; 05-24-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:55 AM

This guy lives on the trash heap of history. The sorry scope of this is that you can lie, cheat, and steal with ZERO remorse and still be remembered long after all of us have departed the planet.