Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 PM

i rode for an hour in downtown san francisco running things to folks in various spots today. i was a messenger a decade ago. the amount of clueless assholes piloting death machines with their phones in front of their faces 10 years on was staggering. this is the real danger.

people texting while walking is the least of society’s concerns. get a ****in’ clue. this thread is like sounding an alarm about a cold rambling through the populace while there’s an ongoing ebola outlet.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Ride to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Just saw this: pedestrian glued to his cell phone, crossing on a not yet turned green light. Car going through yellow. Honked at him and saved his life. The dufus jumped back just in time.
Good Job. Glad one of you three was paying attention.

Help restore some faith in humanity in this bag of mush.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Ride to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
sorry, but i disagree with this.
i don't subscribe to the car-is-always-wrong approach. i'm more of a pay-attention-for-the-sake-of-everyone kinda guy.
drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, etc. who are too caught up in their tech to avoid a traffic related death get little sympathy from me.

cyclist stares at his powermeter and rides off a cliff, dies. his fault right?
cyclist stares at his powermeter and rides into traffic, dies. driver's fault???
More faith in humanity.
Need more self responsibility in this world but...

until it comes along It's nice to look out for the idiots around you.

I'll help if I can but I'll also point out pay attention to the clueless.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Ride to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post

On the cell phones, I truly believe we are on the verge of cell phone addiction being seen as a public health crisis. It does messed up things to your brain. I have a severe love/hate relationship with mine.
Lets not call it an addiction or public health crisis.

In todays society those terms seem to be used as a valid excuse for inaction.

If we just called these actions moronic and politely pointed it out maybe people would start correcting themselves as oppose to pointing the blame somewhere else.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Totally agree. There's the mental ramifications (attention deficit disorder) and the physical ramifications (chronic cervical extension, rounded and impinged shoulders).

Pedestrians who text while walking through an intersection should be fined. Drivers who text should face a very heavy fine or go to jail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaJO3u-Sy4

Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Lets not call it an addiction or public health crisis.

In todays society those terms seem to be used as a valid excuse for inaction.

If we just called these actions moronic and politely pointed it out maybe people would start correcting themselves as oppose to pointing the blame somewhere else.

Plenty of med/science out there indicating that it is an addiction.

You can find plenty of studies out there linking the effects of cell phone/computers and apps like FB/Instagram on serotonin and dopamine levels in the human brain linked to addiction.

W.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I feel misled,no crash. And this despite the fact that the people who constructed the bike path helpfully provided boulders to crash into.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
The car driver may have been trying to "educate" the cellphone user.

If you want to understand more on why people are addicted to their phones, read Matt Richtel's book, A Deadly Wandering. Woven among the story of a texting driver killing two people is an in-depth analysis of how the brain functions and why and what happens with our interactions with our cellphones.

I say about people who are oblivious because they're focused on their device, that "their head is up their phone."

I was stopped at a red light this afternoon and glanced at the vehicle to my right. I clearly saw his phone which was conveniently mounted to his windshield. The screen displayed a string of text messages...
I'm going to pick that book up. Thx for the recommendation.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:02 AM

True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Plenty of med/science out there indicating that it is an addiction.

You can find plenty of studies out there linking the effects of cell phone/computers and apps like FB/Instagram on serotonin and dopamine levels in the human brain linked to addiction.

W.
It's definitely an addiction. I used to make fun of people constantly checking their Facebook accounts. Then I discovered the "GD" section of the Paceline Forum. I try to justify my incessant clicking on it due to the presence of so many talented writers on the site. Makes me feel like less of a hypocrite.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
It's definitely an addiction. I used to make fun of people constantly checking their Facebook accounts. Then I discovered the "GD" section of the Paceline Forum. I try to justify my incessant clicking on it due to the presence of so many talented writers on the site. Makes me feel like less of a hypocrite.
Haha...I agree. I have burned though a lot of dopamine clicking on posts here.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
More faith in humanity.
Need more self responsibility in this world but...

until it comes along It's nice to look out for the idiots around you.

I'll help if I can but I'll also point out pay attention to the clueless.
This is so true. But even perfect people make mistakes.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:24 PM

people in this town walk out into traffic w/out cell phones and don't look. Been happening forever. Bordering on "go ahead and hit me so I can sue you" to "if I don't look, clearly there are no cars coming" to "I'm important and need to get to the pub so FU!"

Add cell phones to peds and drivers and I must agree; its natural selection.

I think I did see on the news a week or so ago that the powers that be were considering it a ticketable offense to walk & use cell phone in x-walk. That will be enforced slightly less that sit-lie.

On a slight diversion; I have a friend that is an ER doc in town. She sees a lot of pedestrians that come in after being hit by a car. Not pretty but she does note that the majority of peds fit into one ethnic category so maybe you can chalk part of this is to a cultural thing?

Bloomberg for mayor!
Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 PM

This reply is on the darker side of things in large part due to my career.

What comes to mind for me when I see someone sucked into their phone or to a lesser extent being absorbed by what ever they're playing through their head phones is a potential crime victim.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get through to many on the personal safety issue. The common theme is "it'll never happen to me" or "I never saw who it was why me"?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
people in this town walk out into traffic w/out cell phones and don't look. Been happening forever. Bordering on "go ahead and hit me so I can sue you" to "if I don't look, clearly there are no cars coming" to "I'm important and need to get to the pub so FU!"

Add cell phones to peds and drivers and I must agree; its natural selection.

I think I did see on the news a week or so ago that the powers that be were considering it a ticketable offense to walk & use cell phone in x-walk. That will be enforced slightly less that sit-lie.

On a slight diversion; I have a friend that is an ER doc in town. She sees a lot of pedestrians that come in after being hit by a car. Not pretty but she does note that the majority of peds fit into one ethnic category so maybe you can chalk part of this is to a cultural thing?

Bloomberg for mayor!
I think I did see on the news a week or so ago that the powers that be were considering it a ticketable offense to walk & use cell phone in x-walk. That will be enforced slightly less that sit-lie. This is a local or federal thing?

On a slight diversion; I have a friend that is an ER doc in town. She sees a lot of pedestrians that come in after being hit by a car. Not pretty but she does note that the majority of peds fit into one ethnic category so maybe you can chalk part of this is to a cultural thing? Never heard this one before...

Old 05-25-2019, 06:39 PM

Thomas Friedman would be proud of this level of back-of-the-taxicab analysis.