Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 PM

Thanks again all again for the great info. Would like to mention a very helpful young professional (a high schooler no less, who also started a mtb team at his high school) working at Jax in Irvine helped me out a lot today. He really knew his stuff, explained all the key mtb tech and features, clothing usage, even down to the differences in mtb helmet MIPS technology (vs. road gear). He was also very familiar with all the areas in which I wanted to be doing mtb riding, and the features of one bike vs. another relative to that trail/area. Schooled me on the differences between 27.5, 27.5+, 29'er and even 29+, as well as hardtail vs. full suspension, and on & on. If they had something that fit me well and in my price range in stock, I would have bought something. When I'm ready for something new, I'll def. be going back there. They sell Trek/Bontrager gear.

Moral of the story is customer service at the LBS is not dead! I forget the team member's name, but if anyone has a reach into Jax ownership or senior mgmt., it was the high school guy working at the Culver Dr. location today. Total professional, he's a credit to the shop.

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-20-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've never understood baggies. All that fabric to get caught up 'down there.' Pass. I'll stick with my lycra.

AFA helmets: I've never once fallen anywhere other than going forward. The extra coverage on the back/sides of the helmet? Pass again.

In short: I ride in what I normally ride in with the exception of I'll use older helmets for off-road just in case I do hit a tree/rock/whathaveyou,

If the OC trails are anything like Sandy Eggo trails, I used to ride trails in Sandy Eggo on a CX bike frequently. Liked it better than my 26er C-dale F2000

As with everything YRMV

M
Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Thanksgiving all again for the great info. Would like to mention a very helpful young professional (a high schooler no less, who also started a mtb team at his high school) working at Jax in Irvine helped me out a lot today. He really knew his stuff, explained all the key mtb tech and features, clothing usage, even down to the differences in mtb helmet MIPS technology (vs. road gear). He was also very familiar with all the areas in which I wanted to be doing mtb riding, and the features of one bike vs. another relative to that trail/area. Schooled me on the differences between 27.5, 27.5+, 29'er and even 29+, as well as hardtail vs. full suspension, and on & on. If they had something that fit me well and in my price range in stock, I would have bought something. When I'm ready for something new, I'll def. be going back there. They sell Trek/Bontrager gear.

Moral of the story is customer service at the LBS is not dead! I forget the team member's name, but if anyone has a reach into Jax ownership or senior mgmt., it was the high school guy working at the Culver Dr. location today. Total professional, he's a credit to the shop.
Nice story,

I'm curious why you don't just order one through the shop?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM

As I said, when I'm ready for new, I'll def. consider going there. For now, am dipping my toes into mtb'ing by buying used first to see what I like vs. new. My last reference point for MTB's was a Stumpjumper circa mid 90's, and it's been leaps & bounds since. Have no idea what kind of bike I'll even like (27.5 vs. 29, etc). And for my budget, there's a huge quality/value gap between used vs. new, very similar to used road bikes here. Consider how many really nice rigs get sold here for a few grand or so that were 3-4x+ when new.

For example, I'm going to be checking out a rig only a few years old where seller has about $7k into it (bike + upgrades). He has it listed locally for about 60% off.

But for mtb shoes, helmet, saddle and other key touch points, most def. will get that from LBS (as I always do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Nice story,

I'm curious why you don't just order one through the shop?

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-20-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM

I think it's easier to buy a used mtn. bike than a road bike because we move around so much more on a mtn. bike that most of us can fit on a wider range of sizes than we can on a road bike. More options for buyers!

Even buying new I always seemed to have to choose between two sizes of identical bikes. Smaller frame might be more maneuverable in tight spaces and larger size might feel better carrying more speed on open terrain. I always preferred the bigger size.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
As I said, when I'm ready for new, I'll def. consider going there. For now, am dipping my toes into mtb'ing by buying used first to see what I like vs. new. My last reference point for MTB's was a Stumpjumper circa mid 90's, and it's been leaps & bounds since. Have no idea what kind of bike I'll even like (27.5 vs. 29, etc). And for my budget, there's a huge quality/value gap between used vs. new, very similar to used road bikes here. Consider how many really nice rigs get sold here for a few grand or so that were 3-4x+ when new.

For example, I'm going to be checking out a rig only a few years old where seller has about $7k into it (bike + upgrades). He has it listed locally for about 60% off.

But for mtb shoes, helmet, saddle and other key touch points, most def. will get that from LBS (as I always do).
Roger that.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've never understood baggies. All that fabric to get caught up 'down there.' Pass. I'll stick with my lycra.

AFA helmets: I've never once fallen anywhere other than going forward. The extra coverage on the back/sides of the helmet? Pass again.

In short: I ride in what I normally ride in with the exception of I'll use older helmets for off-road just in case I do hit a tree/rock/whathaveyou,

If the OC trails are anything like Sandy Eggo trails, I used to ride trails in Sandy Eggo on a CX bike frequently. Liked it better than my 26er C-dale F2000

As with everything YRMV

M
Baggie shorts provide more protection in case of brushes with tree branches, rocks, etc. Lycra rips quite easily so I like the peace of mind of wearing something more durable over my bibs. With dropper posts to get the saddle out of the way, I have no concerns about things getting caught.

I'm way more likely to, and have fallen in directions other than forward when I'm on my mtn bike so I welcome helmets with more side and back protection. Which is also why I just bought a new helmet with MIPS technology. If the chances of me falling are greater, I want the best protective gear I can get, within reason, though because of cost considerations. As helmets age, the foam and plastics can get brittle and deteriorate making it much harder for them to effectively absorb an impact and much more likely to crack or fall apart.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:18 PM

If you are between sizes...go with the bigger bike. With modern geo geometry it makes you more neutral. I'm 5.10 and in the stone age I was always a medium. But not so much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I think it's easier to buy a used mtn. bike than a road bike because we move around so much more on a mtn. bike that most of us can fit on a wider range of sizes than we can on a road bike. More options for buyers!

Even buying new I always seemed to have to choose between two sizes of identical bikes. Smaller frame might be more maneuverable in tight spaces and larger size might feel better carrying more speed on open terrain. I always preferred the bigger size.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM

Then...why would you wear out a retailer about bikes with the intent of going used? Your accolades for the sales bro ring hollow. Just buy a bike in your budget and you'll discover it's a billion times better than any mtb you've ever had. Tech moves fast and its totally worth it to have some new in tech. Easy to overthink

As far as as attire:
If you want to smuggle plums while trail riding go lycra. If you hate your brain, use your old road helmet. Baggies are in

Quote:

Last edited by peanutgallery; 05-21-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 PM

Ring hollow? Give me a break. Do you own a business by chance and understand goodwill and the present value of a customer? Lemme explain: a bunch of friends have bought team bikes from that store, easily low-mid 6 figures amongst them the past few years (one of my buddy's mtb alone was $10k,not to mention top of line Madone SLR and then the top shelf Trek TT bike with etap, combined you can do the math on the cost of those 3). They said go see the shop, so I went to the shop to get educated. I got educated. The salesman developed a customer. I will spend a nice amount of money there shortly on soft goods and accessories, it'll be my go-to for bike service (the highest margin part of a shop) and will spend more money there in the years to come including , in all likelihood, a new rig....once I figure out what I like and don't like in an mtb.

But thanks for your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Then...why would you wear out a retailer about bikes with the intent of going used? Your accolades for the sales bro ring hollow. Just buy a bike in your budget and you'll discover it's a billion times better than any mtb you've ever had. Tech moves fast and its totally worth it to have some new in tech. Easy to overthink

As far as as attire:
If you want to smuggle plums while trail riding go lycra. If you hate your brain, use your old road helmet. Baggies are in

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-21-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Yes, I do

So your friend bought a bike once... most awesome. You forgot your wallet...even better. Good will and good intentions only go so far. They don't put food on the table. And your profession? I want a coupon...STAT

You were out a salesperson who had no choice but to be nice to you without intent to buy. You talk $ numbers but... they're your friends

Just buy a new bike, you won't regret. It's a billion times better than your last dirt scoot. If you like spending your time chasing problems and wondering if you really need a fork that works...buy a used one. You're in what we call Analysis Paralysis

Quote:
Ring hollow? Give me a break. Do you own a business by chance and understand goodwill and the present value of a customer? Lemme explain: a bunch of friends have bought team bikes from that store, easily low-mid 6 figures amongst them the past few years (one of my buddy's mtb alone was $10k,not to mention top of line Madone SLR and then the top shelf Trek TT bike with etap, combined you can do the math on the cost of those 3). They said go see the shop, so I went to the shop to get educated. I got educated. The salesman developed a customer. I will spend a nice amount of money there shortly on soft goods and accessories, it'll be my go-to for bike service (the highest margin part of a shop) and will spend more money there in the years to come including , in all likelihood, a new rig....once I figure out what I like and don't like in an mtb.

But thanks for your opinion.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 05-21-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:18 PM

Please re-read. My buddy alone dropped mid 5 figures in new bikes from the store the past couple years. And other friends who've bought even more sent me there. I just moved to the area, didn't know where to go for good bike shop. Goodwill from friends happy with store sent me there, word of mouth creates new business, etc. Salesman knows who sent me, probably guesses there's business to be had maybe not right then, but eventually. And I was completely upfront about just being there to look at bikes and ask a few questions, to which he was happy to talk about bikes. He had passion for it.
And even more complimentary is he's a teenager who punched well above his weight. Not your typical teen cliche employee.

Oh and yes, I am an owner (indirectly) of a retail store and well aware of the cost of customer acquisition (and, conversely, losing that customer). And the challenges of hiring and mentoring teens eager for work experience and resume building.

Am done explaining. You either understand what I'm saying, or you don't. If your customer service is at the flippant (and I'm being as polite as possible on that) level displayed here by your responses, especially if you own a bike shop (?), well, good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Yes, I do

So your friend bought a bike once... most awesome. You forgot your wallet...even better. Good will and good intentions only go so far. They don't put food on the table. And your profession? I want a coupon...STAT

You were out a salesperson who had no choice but to be nice to you without intent to buy. You talk $ numbers but... they're your friends

Just buy a new bike, you won't regret. It's a billion times better than your last dirt scoot. If you like spending your time chasing problems and wondering if you really need a fork that works...buy a used one. You're in what we call Analysis Paralysis

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-22-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:32 PM

Well what did you learn?

Are you thinkin 27.5? 27.5+? 29?
Boost?

I’m curious what kind of bike the shop kid recommended.

I think I said it earlier but if I was guiding someone flyin blind I’d steer them toward a Boost spaced 27.5+ bike.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:27 AM

Same as your idea, he suggested 27.5 (or 27.5+) to start and reacquaint myself with hills, trails, etc, as well as full suspension. And that a modern 27.5 will be so far light years ahead of what I last remember. Then branch out into other types as I get more into it and explore different terrain. They had a used/demo higher end Fuel model that was within reasonable distance of my budget, and if it fit I'd have stretched and bought it. Was a large though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Well what did you learn?

Are you thinkin 27.5? 27.5+? 29?
Boost?

I’m curious what kind of bike the shop kid recommended.

I think I said it earlier but if I was guiding someone flyin blind I’d steer them toward a Boost spaced 27.5+ bike.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Same as your idea, he suggested 27.5 (or 27.5+) to start and reacquaint myself with hills, trails, etc, as well as full suspension. And that a modern 27.5 will be so far light years ahead of what I last remember. Then branch out into other types as I get more into it and explore different terrain. They had a used/demo higher end Fuel model that was within reasonable distance of my budget, and if it fit I'd have stretched and bought it. Was a large though.
Cool. I’d definitely recommend a plus size because it gives you the versatility of being able to run a 29x2.3 ish if you decide you want larger wheels.

Also dropper post for sure.

Not sure of your inseam but I ride the same size road bike as you and found a large to be quite comfortable.
I’m riding a hard tail though and it’s a 26+ ( with 27.5 wheels) so stand over is much lower than a 29