Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2024, 09:48 AM

Getting the itch for a new MTB… something nice

I posted about two years ago right after I moved to Arvada, CO about mountain bike recommendations. Fast forward… I’ve been riding the 2015 Anthem X shown below (weight confirmed at 26lbs). The friends I mostly ride with have taught me some good technique and I’ve gotten decent at some of the harder rides around here (Apex, Longhorn @White Ranch, Golden Gate, Bitterbrush @ Hall). I don’t necessarily think that my bike is “holding me back” per se (dropper and proper technique are game changers), but I’ve seen some KILLER deals on bikes lately, both new and used.

I’d like to remain under 30lbs for sure. Preferably 26-28.
No real budget.
Something that climbs well.
My very observant friend suggested I don’t want anything too enduro based on my riding style. Like 130/120 or 140/130 travel. He’s probably right. (Side note he just got a sick new Pivot 429). He suggested I look at Yeti sb120s, Revel (I think he said Ranger?), Trail 429, Spot (they’re local, cool).
Just curious what other brands I might be on the lookout for deals on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5984.jpg (152.2 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by TronnyJenkins; 09-13-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2024, 09:59 AM
but not really

Ibis Ripley v4 or v4s (the newest v5 has moved more downhill focused and sacrificed some of the uphill magic the Ripley is known for)

Ibis Exie if you really want to stick with xc geometry and ride characteristics

Getting any of those bikes under 28lbs is gonna cost ya. My Ripley v4s with Ibis carbon wheelset and mostly stock Shimano SLX build is 29.5lbs.

Based on what you're currently riding, I'd focus on finding the bike you like best at a price you like and then consider upgrading/replacing parts down the road, or when they wear out/break to drop weight.
Old 09-13-2024, 09:59 AM

I've got a Fezzari (now branded ARI) Signal Peak SL that's a dream to ride on front range trails. Bought it from someone here on PL actually.

120/115 and under 28lbs with no real weigh saving considerations except the e13 crankset. I'm faster on all the local trails with this "downcountry" bike, than I am on the new Supercaliber at 26lbs.

The 120/115 seems to be a sweet spot for "trail" XC bikes right now.

Others I would say fit your zone (but maybe not boutique enough):
Canyon Lux Trail
Ari Signal Peak SL Trail
Santa Cruz Blur TR
Trek Top Fuel
Old 09-13-2024, 10:02 AM
Registered (ab)User

I'm just subbed to see the responses

...and jealous of any answers that aren't "Specialized" or "Trek" because that's all the local shops here carry.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:08 AM
Meh

There are so many good bikes out there and you are in for a treat as mountain bikes have taken several leaps in quality and capability since your Giant 29er was released 9 years ago.

For Front Range riding, I do think the amount of travel you need and the bike you will want depends partly on your height and weight.

The weight range you are citing is worth discussing. Mountain bikes in general have gotten a lot heavier since 2015, as they have focused more on capability and less on weight. Most trail bikes in the 130+ travel range are north of 30 pounds now. Personally I am in favor of this trend - for my riding style, delicate light components and frames are not the thing. I am not going to try to argue you out of your view as everyone has their own preferences, but do note that at 26 to 28 pounds you are increasingly restricted to short-travel machines from certain manufacturers.

One bike that I think you should strongly consider - assuming you want to stick with 29ers - is the Transition Spur, which is a 120/120 bike on a Horst link platform that comes in a 27.1 pounds fully built up. That bike is probably the most fun and capable in this travel bracket that I know that fits your weight requirement. Despite being a 4 year old platform, Transition have kept it fresh with new Fox suspension and a UDH rear triangle - still going strong.

My only hesitation on Transition is that they sometimes have QC issues and the paint isn't very durable, but you can mitigate the QC issues by doing a full tear-down and reassembly on your brand new bike and putting grease in all the places they forgot to put it (yes, including the pivots and the headset). Ridewrap also recommended and can help with the fragile paint.

Bikers Edge has a good review here of the refreshed version: https://bebikes.com/the-hub/2024-tra...n-spur-review/

Normally my go-to recommendation for this is the Santa Cruz Tallboy, but it doesn't meet your weight requirement as the fancy builds come in at 29 pounds or so.

Last edited by EB; 09-13-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:19 AM

I have a Rocky Mountain Element that I'm really happy with, and I think would meet your needs.

Other bikes I might consider, but don't have any firsthand experience with: Specialized Epic 8/Evo, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Scor 2030 or Canyon Lux Trail.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:19 AM

I’m a big pivot fan. The Mach 4 SL / Trail is a great bike depending on how much travel you want. They climb great, dual pivot, fun to ride. I’ve had a couple different iterations and like it much better than Epics I’ve owned.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:21 AM

Love my Pivot Trail 429. Does everything I want it to do. If you more into cross country racing, I’d go with the Pivot Mach 4.

Pivots are not cheap but they are extremely well built.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:40 AM

Revel or Canfield - their CBF suspension works great - both on the techy ups and the rowdy downs - although not the lightest.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:44 AM

I've been down this rabbit hole as i just sold my hardtail and looking for something else and reading a lot of reviews....

If climbing is a priority and not just an afterthought, these seem like the top choices

- Trek Top Fuel
- Specialized Epic Evo
- Rocky Mountain Element
- Santa Cruz Blur TR
- BMC Fourstroke LT

All are available with light enough build kits. It does seem like the bikes that are the best climbers on technical trails all give something up coming back down, mostly due to shorter wheelbases or their shock tunes.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:49 AM
Meh

There is more to climbing than efficiency, since highly efficient suspension designs sometimes give up a lot in traction. If you're doing a lot of tech climbing, a suspension with less anti-squat may end up being better. It's not simply a tradeoff between efficiency and descending capability.

For example - my extremely efficient hardtail often climbs much worse than my 165mm travel bike, in that on some routes it will simply spin out and fail on climbs that the enduro bike happily monster-trucks through.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:51 AM
n - 1

10 year old full suspension mountain bike is ancient. So much improvement over the last decade.

I’d look at a Spec Epic Evo. Climbs well, well under 30lbs, and takes on the chunky stuff pretty well.
Old 09-13-2024, 11:04 AM

Santa Cruz Blur
Yeti 120
Specialized Epic Evo

The local Yeti dealer here in Indiana has crazy discounts on bikes.
Old 09-13-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcgill View Post
The local Yeti dealer here in Indiana has crazy discounts on bikes.
the whole bike industry is 30% off right now its pretty bonkers
Old 09-13-2024, 03:07 PM

I had an Ibis Exie and it went 26.45 pounds with carbon wheels and a SRAM mechanical group in a XL size. It was 120/100 for travel and it was perfect for my riding style but just a bit short in the top tube for my 6’5” build. So i sold the frame and used the components to build up a XXL Santa Cruz Tallboy CC frame. With pedals it weighs in at 28.25 on the scale at my shop. It has 130/120 worth of travel.

The extra travel is nice and the slacker head tube makes descending much more confidence inspiring for me, but….

The climbing versus the Exie leaves something to be desired. I only have 100 miles on it so Im still playing around, but I wish it climbed a bit better.

I also had a XL Blur TR before the Exie. While it climbed better than the Exie the Exie was a better all round bike for me.