Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs View Post
I found this photo of Indurain in May 1992 issue of Winning Magazine. It depicts Indurain at the 1992 Paris-Nice. The bike looks similar to what's being offered for sale albeit with different bars.
The paint is the same but that's it, compare the length of the head tubes for example....

Very clear to see in this photo, Indurain rode something like a 58

Old 08-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
Man that cat was strong. One of the greatest cycle motors of all times. Loved to watch him race.
And SMART too..retired..no muss, no fuss, quietly retired and went on his way...I met him at University Bikes in Boulder(Banesto, when Hampsten was riding for them). He was a wee bit taller than me but not yuge..stood around and signed autographs until ALL were done..

I also met him in Morgul-Bismak when he visited David Phinney(about 1994 or so)..showed him my Campag tattoo, 'esta loco', he said with a smile...
Old 08-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
And SMART too..retired..no muss, no fuss, quietly retired and went on his way...I met him at University Bikes in Boulder(Banesto, when Hampsten was riding for them). He was a wee bit taller than me but not yuge..stood around and signed autographs until ALL were done..

I also met him in Morgul-Bismak when he visited David Phinney(about 1994 or so)..showed him my Campag tattoo, 'esta loco', he said with a smile...
That would have been 1995 when Indurain and his team spent time in CO to acclimatize to altitude prior to heading to Colombia for the world championships in Duitama. Indurain won gold in the TT and silver in the RR, behind Olano his Spanish teammate.

I'd say that was a successful trip for them.

I don't care what he did or how or whatever. The man oozed power and strength on the bike. I remember following every one of his Tour wins and his dominance was phenomenal. As imposing as his physical dominance was, mentally he had all the other riders beat before the race even started. They knew they were racing for second. It's telling that no rider ever finished second to him twice in the TdF. It's almost as if one solid run at Indurain was all that any rider could manage in their career.

Last edited by BdaGhisallo; 08-18-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:21 AM
needs adult supervision

There's one person who sometimes visits here who would know, I think.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 AM

This is like the 3rd time the dude tries to flip it, and is not going to work again... probably got it for a grand, grand and half... from there to 21 grands, meaning that he wants at least 15g's...??
Old 08-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Vendor

That article completely contradicts this so what do I know, but I was, prior to this very certain that Indurain never rode a lugged bike post 1991. He certainly didn't ride a chrome-stayed, chrome fork, lugged steel frame in the 1992 Tour de France.

That jersey is also what I believe to be the 1990 team jersey (with the black side panels and shoulders)

That to me looks closest to his 1991 Paris-Nice bike. Which is seen here from the Movistar (Banesto) team page:

I'm also hardly an expert, just a cycling fan so if I was totally wrong I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Last edited by rain dogs; 08-18-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
That article completely contradicts this so what do I know, but I was, prior to this very certain that Indurain never rode a lugged bike post 1991. He certainly didn't ride a chrome-stayed, chrome fork, lugged steel frame in the 1992 Tour de France.

That jersey is also what I believe to be the 1990 team jersey (with the black side panels and shoulders)

That to me looks closest to his 1991 Paris-Nice bike. Which is seen here from the Movistar (Banesto) team page:

I'm also hardly an expert, just a cycling fan so if I was totally wrong I wouldn't be at all surprised.

This image could be from Stage 6 of the 1990 Paris-Nice. Indurain was in the white leaders jersey after winning St 5 and wore it for one day before ceding it to the St 6 winner, Claudio Chiappucci. Indurain went on to win the final GC after winning the final day's TT.

Edit: I am confused a little since I recall the 1990 jersey having the black side panels, too. After thinking a bit more, this pic might be from St 1 of the 1991 P-Nice when Indurain might have worn the leader's jersey as the defending champion. I cannot think of another time he would have worn the white jersey after that. He certainly never led the race on GC after any stage post the 1990 edition.

Last edited by BdaGhisallo; 08-18-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that if Mig is on a Pinarello the pic is from '92 or later since in '91 and earlier Banesto rode Razesa bikes.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM

I remember a hilly, non mountain stage of the tour in the mid 90’s where Indurain decided to break away with 30k or so to go despite his reputation of being a mechanical racer without panache. Only Johan Bruyneel was able to catch his wheel. Bruyneel later compared it to pacing behind a motorcycle and that it was almot impossible to stay on his wheel. Eventually Bruyneel won the stage in a sprint but Mig took minutes out of his main rivals and help set him up for overall victory. It was so memorable that it almost seems like yesterday.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
I remember a hilly, non mountain stage of the tour in the mid 90’s where Indurain decided to break away with 30k or so to go despite his reputation of being a mechanical racer without panache. Only Johan Bruyneel was able to catch his wheel. Bruyneel later compared it to pacing behind a motorcycle and that it was almot impossible to stay on his wheel. Eventually Bruyneel won the stage in a sprint but Mig took minutes out of his main rivals and help set him up for overall victory. It was so memorable that it almost seems like yesterday.
That was St 7 of the 1995 Tour from Charleroi to Liege. It was also the day before the first big time trial so absolutely no one was expecting any moves from any of the GC favorites, much less from Indurain.

He still won the TT the next day, though, so I guess the effort didn't hurt him too much. He then proceeded to ride every GC aspirant off his wheel in the stage after the TT to La Plagne, chasing down a long range escape from Alex Zulle. The Tour was won by the end of stage 9.