Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 PM

This will be three years in a row on the Hampsten (minus the goon on the back) with clement xplor MSO 35mm tires. In prior years I used 32’mm paselas and 30mm Jets. All worked fine, but I’m happy with the 35s.

Sorry the picture is so big. I can no longer figure out how to edit a photo in Imgur on my phone...

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 07-30-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:35 AM

This will be my second year riding. Last summer was my first attempt and I finished the 115k on my MTB. It was a hard challenge, but I finished no problem. Since then, I have purchased a dedicated mixed terrain/gravel bike and have upped my mileage substantially.

I am signed up for the 180k and really want to finish it to prove to myself I can...but all the guys I ride with are doing the 160k.

Kind of torn between having company and shooting for taking down the big route. From what I have heard, it is super difficult!

@Angry, that green Ritchey with the skinwalls is hot.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:45 AM
Administrator

thanks!

as usual, i'll have the microcamper out. stop by and say hello. shots of whiskey before the 180 are always free!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 AM

if i wind up doing the 180, i'll need the booze after for sure! hell, i'll need it after the 160 too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
thanks!

as usual, i'll have the microcamper out. stop by and say hello. shots of whiskey before the 180 are always free!

Old 07-31-2018, 09:54 AM

D2R2 is my favorite ride. I've done it three years in a row this will be my fourth. I use it as a "training" goal or at least motivation to ride during the summer. My in-laws live in the area so I get to ride around there a lot. Such great roads in Franklin County.

I've done the 115 which ended up being closer to 145 because we got lost so much and the 160 twice which motivated me to get a Garmin. Last year I rode to and from the start which added another 40KM. Thinking about doing the 180 this year or one of the mystery rides. All depends on my ridding buddy, he moved this summer so not sure what his fitness level will be.

Every year I've been on 28mm with climbing gears and have been fine. If you've got good bike handling skills 28s are fine.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Since 2013:
Two years 180k on 700c X 32
one year off
Two years 160k on tandem, 650B X 42 Compass tubed and 47 Byways tubeless

Looking forward to it this year, possibly on tandem, but we will see if we are up to the 160. If single bike it will be 48 Compass.

Speaking of 28 tires-that's what the ride founder Sandy Whittlesey advocated for years.

My first two years on 32 tires I got a flat in the exact same spot on the course, like within 20 feet. No flats since then on the wider tires. Just sayin'.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:30 PM

Since 2009:

180k course twice on 700C x 28 (I'm a moron)
180k course once on 700C x 35 (better)
Last 2 years did the mystery route on 650b x 38 (I'm learning).

My favorite cue from the mystery route (on the climb up to Buddha):
"Cross road onto little bridge, follow snow mobile path uphill"
Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM

First time for me, and I'll be doing the 100k.

I've already picked tires...so my question is road or mtn shoes/pedals?

DaveS
Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
First time for me, and I'll be doing the 100k.

I've already picked tires...so my question is road or mtn shoes/pedals?

DaveS
That answer for me is always mountain... I got rid of my road shoes and pedals a long time ago. Sidi Dragons and XT level SPDs offer all the stiffness I could want for road riding and comfort/walkability for times when I need to be off the bike.

For D2R2 and the 100k specifically, I say go with whatever you're most comfortable in. There are very few or no instances where you will need to dismount and walk your bike. Just a matter of what you want to be walking around in at rest/lunch stops.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

most definitely mountain pedals. There is always the probability that you are going to walk. 100k starts with a pretty fun climb Also, walking around at lunch time and walking around at the stops, I would never go with road pedals.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 08-01-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM

Another vote for MTB shoes/pedals.

There were some very small areas of mud on the 115k last year. No big deal, but one was a spot where some folks with skinnier tires wound up walking.

Personally I would not want to muck up my roadie shoes/pedals in the mud
Old 08-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the reminder - I still have to sign up.

I'll be doing the 100k. I've done the 100k twice and the 115k once, but have missed the last 3 years for various reasons.

Not that anybody cares.....X'PLOR MSO 40mm and mtb shoes

Looking forward to it,
Murph
Old 08-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Imshi Cycles

126k mystery for me this year!

either rolling on 2.4" g-one or 42c sawtooth, depending which bike i end up on.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 08-01-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

in other words - whatever you show up with - you'll be fine. you may need to adjust speed here and there, but no big deal. d2 is a day to relax and enjoy a day on the bike, dont overthink the tires. run what ya brung.
I completely agree with this. I’ve done the 100k and 115k a whole bunch of times over the years and have mostly used 25s with the exception of last year when I squeezed a 27s on and the first year I did it when I did it on a very heavy touring bike with a triple and 32s.

I’ve done it this way because with the exception of my heavy touring bike, my bikes don’t fit large tires. It’s never been an issue, though I could see the benefit of fat tires for sure, but at least on the 100 and 115 it’s not a make or break issue. I’m pretty sure the organizer himself originally recommended 25s in an article I read on rapha from a few years ago. The one issue I had was inappropriate gearing on my road bike where I had standard gearing. That year I had to walk my bike a bunch. Since I’ve used a compact and it’s been much , much better.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose8 View Post
I completely agree with this. I’ve done the 100k and 115k a whole bunch of times over the years and have mostly used 25s with the exception of last year when I squeezed a 27s on and the first year I did it when I did it on a very heavy touring bike with a triple and 32s.

I’ve done it this way because with the exception of my heavy touring bike, my bikes don’t fit large tires. It’s never been an issue, though I could see the benefit of fat tires for sure, but at least on the 100 and 115 it’s not a make or break issue. I’m pretty sure the organizer himself originally recommended 25s in an article I read on rapha from a few years ago. The one issue I had was inappropriate gearing on my road bike where I had standard gearing. That year I had to walk my bike a bunch. Since I’ve used a compact and it’s been much , much better.
THAT SAID, its much more enjoyable on larger tires
Why? Because its not a race!

Skinny tires ONLY advantage is on the smooth roads, and that advantage is speed.
And speed only matters if you're racing.

The disadvantages of riding skinny tires include:
- fatique (in your arms/shoulders/neck from absorbing a day of rough roads...instead of letting your tires do the work for you)
- loss of traction on steep/loose uphills
- slow going (if any going) on class 4 (the funnest parts of the ride IMO)
- white knuckle slow riding on any steep/loose downhill
- higher chance of pinch flats

By skinny tires I mean anything less than 30c.

And yes, gearing is just as important as tires, there is a lot of climbing...on dirt...which is not the same as climbing on pavement.

It will depend a lot on your own fitness but bring gears to get you up ANYTHING and you will be happy you did. I have long used D2 as a barometer for gearing choices on other trips ive taken -- "If I can ride D2R2 on this...I can ride anything on this..."

Most importantly, bring a smile and some extra sense of adventure, stop to take in a view, say hi to a little red skink, make some new friends.
Its been one of my favorite days of the year for the past 9 years.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 08-02-2018 at 09:34 AM.