Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 09:11 PM

Specialized saddles

I've been riding Selle Italia SLR gel flow, and Flite Gel flow (both the older/original versions) for years. This year I just couldn't get comfortable on them. I had a Specialized Toupe 143 on hand so put that on for today's 45 mile ride and it pretty much disappeared, no discomfort. Of course it's the older style with the plastic trim front and back, so now hard to find. Im curious what others have found similar to that older style. I haven't seen the new style Toupe in person so looking for thoughts on old/new as well.

Slightly related, How different have people found the Romin vs Toupe, in terms of feel. I can see that Romin is more curved... although my Toupe is pretty flexible so its probably curved under my behind anyway.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:46 PM

I rode Flite saddles for like 20 years and a couple of years ago they just weren't working for me. I now have a Toupe on my mountain bike and a Phenom on my road bike. I tried the Romin but there was something about it that didn't work for me. The first Phenom's I tried had the textured covering. Soon I discovered that I didn't really like that but this year they came out with a version with a smooth cover that I like much better. The Toupe has a thicker padding and that is good for my mountain bike.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Romin vs Toupe depends on how “locked in” do you like to feel on the saddle. I ride Romin on all my bikes because I have the nose tilted up slightly which puts me in my optimal pedaling position with minimal pressure on my hands. I like feeling locked in and stable. Some like to slide front and back a bit on the saddle.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:47 AM

I rode one of those older 143mm Toupe Gel for some time. Then tried a couple of different versions of the more recent Toupe but they weren't as comfy.

However I dumped the Toupe Gel and now ride a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow which is a little narrower and has a bit more flex. Very comfy on an all-day ride.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Grey Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I rode one of those older 143mm Toupe Gel for some time. Then tried a couple of different versions of the more recent Toupe but they weren't as comfy.

However I dumped the Toupe Gel and now ride a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow which is a little narrower and has a bit more flex. Very comfy on an all-day ride.
How does the Toupe RBX fit in? I know it's from a few years back, but I'm finding it almost as comfortable as this year's Toupe Expert Gel.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 PM

All saddles suck for me. The least offensive which i keep going back to is the Specialized power. I rode the SLR also but it just never quite felt right.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 PM

I’m evaluating the Romin, you have to “size up” on them (143 toupe= 155 romin) and as is said above, only one position - your sit bones have to be on the wing or else it doesn’t work.

Romin less flat than the flute (wide version) but similar, iirc flite you also had to make sure sit bones were on the wing.

Trying to decide if I like the Fabric Line but not enuff miles on it yet

Last edited by tylercheung; 08-19-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:08 PM
shimergo

FWIW my fitter put me on a 143mm Romin and my sit bones were not happy at all (enough to force me to stay off the bike for a while). Maybe incorrect width given by the ass-o-meter, but I wanted to try something else.

Switched to the Fabric Scoop Shallow and never looked back. I might try the Fabric Line Shallow later on for the "relief channel".
Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
How does the Toupe RBX fit in? I know it's from a few years back, but I'm finding it almost as comfortable as this year's Toupe Expert Gel.
Can't say. Though the online pics of the RBX; padding-wise it looks similar to a later Gel.