Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2024, 07:42 PM

Shimano Wireless.....

So, getting ready to build my first new road bike in over a decade..

If I am understanding correctly, with the Shimano 12 speed shifters, you can either connect wires to them, or run them wireless with a coin battery inside of them.
Other than the cost of the wires, is there really any good reason to use them wireless?

Edit - I guess it also eliminates the junction box and single wire from the box to the battery? Kind of thinking I'd still rather have it wired...
Old 08-16-2024, 07:48 PM

If you are running disc brakes then yes they are wireless and I'd run them that way. The shifter batteries last for years and no wires = easier setup.

Wire from rear derail to battery.

Wire from frt derail to battery.

Sync everything in etube app and off you go...
Old 08-16-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
If you are running disc brakes then yes they are wireless and I'd run them that way. The shifter batteries last for years and no wires = easier setup.

Wire from rear derail to battery.

Wire from frt derail to battery.

Sync everything in etube app and off you go...
OK thanks. Yup, disc version. I didn't realize the batteries would last that long. I guess it is def more convenient to setup without having to route those front wires etc.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:55 PM

Getting wiring from the bottom bracket/seat tube area through the headset, stem and handlebars is 90% of the difficulty of running wires. The handlebar is generally the worst. So depending on exactly how you intend to run the wires really dictates how difficult the install will be. The downsides to wireless shifters are pretty minimal- you’ll have to change the coin cells every year or three and your main battery will last about half as long - maybe 500-700 miles instead of 1000-1500.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I didn't realize the batteries would last that long.
This shouldn't be surprising. Wireless shifters use the same batteries as wireless speed or cadence sensors. Speed and cadences sensors transmiit data continuously, and their batteries can last more than a year. Shifters only transmit intermittently - they only need to transmit when shifting - so the batteries should last far longer.

It is true that with a wired system you only need to worry about a single battery. But wireless shifter batteries last so long, and it is so easy to carry a spare battery (they weigh about 3 grams), that wireless shifter battery life is really of little concern.

Last edited by Mark McM; 08-16-2024 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:07 PM

I’ll add a plug for sram AXS where wireless means no wires 😀
Old 08-16-2024, 08:44 PM

Wired is only an option with Ultegra and DA.
105 is wireless only and has two batteries instead on one so they probably last longer.
Old 08-16-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
105 is wireless only and has two batteries instead on one so they probably last longer.
Must be thinking of a different 12spd 105 Di2
Old 08-16-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Must be thinking of a different 12spd 105 Di2
I think he's right
Old 08-16-2024, 11:03 PM

I wanted to run them wired, but after using them wireless I am glad I did. The shifter batteries last a long time.

And yes 105 Di2 must be run wireless only. 105 shifters even has double the batteries (overkill). Ultegra and Dura Ace you have the choice to go wired but I truly can't find any reason.
Old 08-16-2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
I wanted to run them wired, but after using them wireless I am glad I did. The shifter batteries last a long time.

And yes 105 Di2 must be run wireless only. 105 shifters even has double the batteries (overkill). Ultegra and Dura Ace you have the choice to go wired but I truly can't find any reason.
Now I see what's being said.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2024, 06:34 AM

I use fully synchro so I really only use the rear shifter. Doing it that way, the batteries for the rear shifter last a shorter amount of time. However, still long. The front shifter will last forever for me since I only use it on occasions, at stop lights, etc, where I need to get to the small chainring immediately. Changing the battery is so easy too.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
So, getting ready to build my first new road bike in over a decade..

If I am understanding correctly, with the Shimano 12 speed shifters, you can either connect wires to them, or run them wireless with a coin battery inside of them.
Other than the cost of the wires, is there really any good reason to use them wireless?

Edit - I guess it also eliminates the junction box and single wire from the box to the battery? Kind of thinking I'd still rather have it wired...
The only reason to go wireless, when considering function, is in the initial build.
The semi-wireless install is simply easier...But once installed, both wired, semi-wireless and wireless(like Campagnolo SR wireless) function pretty much the same.

Yes, yes, those unsightly wires..so un-aero and heavy but in terms of function, no difference.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
3 batteries for shimano 'wireless' anything, one in each lever, the hard wired battery for ders....Plus there IS DA 'semi-wireless'...I think Ultra too..yes?