Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 12:48 PM
slower than you

I learned a hard lesson the other day

And I lucked out, considering.

Never go out on a bike trail without adequate tire repair tools and parts, especially a bike trail with few road crossings. Flat tire four miles from a road on the Empire trail, and, damn, no trigger or whatever you call it for the CO2. Haven't had a flat for three years, and I got complacent, especially around the trail, thinking, eh, it's only a bike trail! Well, duh, no taxi driver or relative or friend can come pick you up. You're walking, dude, so take those Look cleat shoes off.

Fortunately, it was slightly downhill to a crossing, where one old guy was resting and he had a pump. That tire was hell to get off, but, did it and got home. Lucky me, I guess.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:02 PM
Back At It!

yep, that sucks for sure.. and one reason I abandoned CO2 years ago.. I don't mind having a Lezyne pump attached behind my bottle cage on my seat tube.. it's small-ish and had never been an issue.. since I started running a bar bag, I have a small-ish Lezyne in that and it gets transferred to the bike of choice for the day.. unless you are in a race, I just don't get using CO2.. I'm never on that big of a hurry and hardly ever ride in a group.. and if the group I'm with can't wait for me, then that'll be the last time I ride with that group as they aren't the ones for me..
Old 04-18-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
(...) unless you are in a race, I just don't get using CO2 (...)
Because if you use something like a Genuine Innovations Air Chuck, your flat kit is *light and tiny*. I can fit three tubes, three CO2 carts, an Air Chuck, chain tool, and a multi tool in one small under-the-sadde bag. But to each their own.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:38 PM

All my bikes with tubeless tires have a minipump mounted under the seat tube water bottle cage. The MTB has a stash bottle with a 29" tube, a dynaplug kit, and a one-shot Orange Seal. The bikes that don't have tubeless tires have two tubes, two CO2s, an adapter, and a mini tool in a saddle bag.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:39 PM
Administrator

It’s a good lesson and reminder it’s worth going through the flat kit every now and then. I’ve found dried up patch kits, spare tubes with abrasion holes worn through them; multi tools rusted and seized up; etc.

Anything long term neglected is subject to failure when needed.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:12 PM
Sunshine

Those that carry a pump- what are you using?

I have Topeak Road Morph G pumps on my bikes and while they work well(retractable hose, guage, etc), I have had to replace 2 of them in the last 2 years because they no longer worked. The plunger wouldnt...plunge. I think between how rarely they are used and the fact that they are exposed to the elements, especially on my gravel bike, I may want to use something different.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Because if you use something like a Genuine Innovations Air Chuck, your flat kit is *light and tiny*. I can fit three tubes, three CO2 carts, an Air Chuck, chain tool, and a multi tool in one small under-the-sadde bag. But to each their own.
I think you have a different definition of "small" saddle bag than most of us.

I can't even get 3 tubes in my saddle bag with nothing else. I probably can't even get 2 in there. You really carry 3 tubes?

Sometimes for a really long ride I will take a 2nd tube in my jersey pocket. But I have never needed it.

Last edited by benb; 04-18-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:26 PM

I use a one up pump but it is not designed for road pressures. It fits under a bottle cage and has been rock solid for 3 years now.

It can hold as seen a multi tool and co2 setup or can be used for storage entirely, which is how I use it. I have it stuffed with nitrile gloves, tire repair extras (bacon/sidewall/etc) and emergency accessories such as gorilla tape, $…

Old 04-18-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Can a CO2 get up to 90 psi? (In 25 years of riding I've never used or had to use one.)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:39 PM

That One EDC thing is super cool.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:49 PM

I also have the kit pictured and a plastic c02 shaped thread on container for storage under the tool instead of co2. The tool is tiny and doesn’t have enough leverage for my bolt on gravel wheels but all parts of the kit are good quality.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshubdoc View Post
Can a CO2 get up to 90 psi? (In 25 years of riding I've never used or had to use one.)
That depends on the size of the tire and the size of the CO2 cartridge. A 16 gram CO2 cartridge can easily get 90psi on a 25mm tire and maybe on a 28mm tire.
I've seen CO2 go from 12 gram to 20 gram.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:41 PM

I have used several "full-size" frame pumps but changed to usually using CO2 cartridges. After a few times getting pretty fatigued pumping my 700x25 tires up to 100 psi (remember those days? ) I decided CO2 was better. If I was going to be on a longer ride with no easy access more CO2 than the two cartridges in my bag I would also have a frame pump with me. Belt and suspenders, I guess.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:49 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post

I have Topeak Road Morph G pumps on my bikes and while they work well(retractable hose, guage, etc), I have had to replace 2 of them in the last 2 years because they no longer worked. The plunger wouldnt...plunge. I think between how rarely they are used and the fact that they are exposed to the elements, especially on my gravel bike, I may want to use something different.

I went to the local shop and bought this: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ai...-pump/p/172167 which is light and small enough to rear pocket. That and two CO2s, and I'm set. I hope.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:50 PM
Back At It!

this is what I have mounted on my seat tube water bottle cage.. I never ever notice it's there.. and it takes zero room in my saddle bag.. I have a similar one in my bar bag that's a little shorter and fatter (but not much).. I've never had an issue with any Lezyne stuff and my current Road Drive is probably around 12 yrs old..

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-rddr-v2l04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post