Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
+1. I'm "pro-tech," but wanted something small and (relatively) low-cost for racing. The Edge 130 Plus has nearly all the features of a larger, more expensive computer (navigation/HRM/speed-cadence sensor/power meter/rear radar/phone integration) in a small, unobtrusive package.

Greg

Absolutely +1. I have the 130. Very easy to operate, gives you everything you need.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:24 AM

Love my Garmin 840 in general - but then I'm deep into the Garmin ecosystem. The only complaint I have is that if you are following a route, but get off-course (or are forced to detour) is basically useless. You simply can't trust it to quickly and efficiently re-route you back to the course. It may decide to route you back to the start - and with the relatively small screen, it's difficult to tell what it's doing.

I also had the Edge Explore 2 and I agree that's the best option for someone who just wants a good computer without every bell and whistle. Don't do the 540 - as noted - the current interface is designed around touch. Very difficult to do anything but change screens with just the buttons - and the touch screen actually works quite well. Even with winter gloves on.

There are a few data fields that garmin could do to make a bit larger text. Even with my still halfway decent vision some of those numbers are difficult to read.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
You can turn off the lap feature

Auto Lap
Hold .
Select > Activities & Apps.
Select an activity. NOTE: This feature is not available for all activities.
Select the activity settings.
Select an option: To turn the Auto Lap feature on or off, select the toggle switch. To adjust the distance between laps, select Auto Lap.
Wow, thank you! I'm an idiot.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
From what I have read and heard, the UI on the x40 series was designed around a touch screen (840/1040) so it doesn't play as nicely with the 540, I have the 840, have had since last June and I find the UI to be really easy to use and the features are great.
The 840 has both touch screen and buttons, so while I mostly use the touch screen, I can still use the buttons if I am riding with gloves or if it's raining.
OK, now I really feel dumb. I actually had the 840 Solar. I guess it's been so long since I used it that I forgot the model. Anyway, I still hated and thought the UI was really badly designed.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:57 AM

Although the blue tooth smartphone app set up for the Wahoo Element is very enticing, the Garmin Edge Explore 2 seems really good at the current sale price. Will give this a go. Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I think the easiest to use is the karoo2 since it functions like a phone with its android operating system. The screen is large and colorful and easy to read.
I have a Bryton S800 and a Karoo2 and I struggle to find a way in which using Android is of any benefit in a bike computer. To me it's just a gimmick and I don't find anything about using it that says "oh, it's an Android" (I use and Android phone), I guess side loading apps counts as something...
In my experience with both, the Bryton is superior or at least the same in all ways and I recommend it strongly.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:47 PM

I bought a Garmin 1030 Plus a few months ago for a great price on Amazon. It's one generation back from the current 1040, and I read little changed in the 1040. The screen is big and bright and has awesome battery life.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah87 View Post
OK, now I really feel dumb. I actually had the 840 Solar. I guess it's been so long since I used it that I forgot the model. Anyway, I still hated and thought the UI was really badly designed.
It's all good, I think you just needed another coffee.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah87 View Post
I thought I had a 530 or 540. I was hesitant to update the firmware a few months ago when it said it downloaded an 840 version. I installed it and all was well. A week or two later I remembered that I bought the 840 for the larger screen, and touchscreen instead of buttons.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:27 PM

Xoss

I am having good luck with this unit:

XOSS G+ GPS Wireless Bike Computer