Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 06:24 AM

SRAM XG 1190 11-32 cassette and 11spd DA chain not playing nice?

No matter how finely I tune my 11spd DA rd the chain does not shift smoothly over all gears on the XG 1190 cassette - lower gears working much better but midway down to the 11 tooth cog it´s a desaster.

Could it be that this cassette does not work with the DA chain?

thanks for your input!
Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy View Post
No matter how finely I tune my 11spd DA rd the chain does not shift smoothly over all gears on the XG 1190 cassette - lower gears working much better but midway down to the 11 tooth cog it´s a desaster.

Could it be that this cassette does not work with the DA chain?

thanks for your input!
Really hard to say but I'd say something is amiss with your shifter/rear der/der hanger. 11s shimano chains are compatible with sram 11s cogsets.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-25-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:34 AM

How's the derailleur hanger alignment?
Old 09-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Do you have a 9000 rear derailleur or 9100 rear derailleur? I also had issues with the XG1190 cassette not playing nice with my Shimano groupset.

With the first-gen Shimano 11spd rear road derailleurs, the shifting is passable, but not amazing and the cable tension window to get it dialed is really tight.

I was unable to get it work at an acceptable level with second-gen Shimano 11spd shadow rear derailleurs. It was impossible to get all cogs to shift smoothly.

I had to go back to using my first-gen derailleur if I wanted to continue using my Red cassette.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:17 PM

Although I am most suspicious of the cabling's performance when issues like this turn up, I am also cognizant that each company iteratively develops and tests their products as a group, intending for each part to work with same-branded parts.

Each company holds their own patents, which limits what features can be used in their own chain and sprockets. As such, the ability of different-branded drivetrain components to work well with other-branded parts is limited, leading to the reduced operational and adjustment "window" within which the parts work correctly.
This is in addition to actual (if minor) differences in cog spacing and chain width between different brands of component gruppos having the same number of speeds.

I can clearly recall that during the 10s era, many bikes using then-current largest 11-28t cassettes did not work properly when a simple chain brand substitution was made.

Last edited by dddd; 09-28-2020 at 01:19 PM.