Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 09:16 PM
50 bpm

We have a high-zoot LG. It's crap.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
I'm not a huge TV guy, but still, I would think 50" would be a minimum. I bought a 50" years ago for a medium-ish room and it's certainly not too big.
Unless it's going in a bedroom or kitchen, I wouldn't go less than 50", or maybe even 55".
Old 09-24-2020, 02:02 AM

Wirecutter reviews are your best friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 03:37 AM

These guys have a very good review process: https://www.rtings.com
Old 09-24-2020, 06:53 AM

Regarding the ethernet port....

My TV (older Panasonic 50" ) has one and I originally had it connected because it had some useful apps like Amazon Prime. Over the years, the apps weren't supported anymore for that platform and removed, and the TV isn't connected directly to my network anymore. Something like a Roku box has all the apps you need/want, more functionality, and will be updated.

Has anybody had the same experience? I'm curious
Old 09-24-2020, 07:17 AM

I've been impressed with the very reasonably priced (sub $300) TCL from Amazon. Being primarily used as a streaming TV and my wife's secondary monitor (yes, a 42" second monitor is a tad excessive, but if we get her set up with a lectern it'll be perfect for her to teach with )
Old 09-24-2020, 07:22 AM

I just went through the process of researching a new TV. Please keep in mind that these recommendations are for picture/features, not reliability. That being said I have had a 65 inch TCL for over a year and it has been trouble free

If you want the best of the best-LG OLED

If you want the best value-TCL 6 Series

I am not sure if you can get a smaller OLED but it appears you are more interested in value anyhoo.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:41 AM

Oled

I have an OLED LG that i purchased in 2018, it was a 2017 model. Bat none the best TVs. That being said they are expensive. But you can typically get a prior yrs model at a significant discount. For me back then it was $990, compared to when it came out $1800.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:44 AM

I believe it was around this time yr as well, off amazon. Also Amazon prime day is Oct.13th, if you can hold off.

As well if Anyone has a used IF club racer or gravel royale please PM me, thought I’d throw that out there haha
Old 09-24-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Regarding the ethernet port....

My TV (older Panasonic 50" ) has one and I originally had it connected because it had some useful apps like Amazon Prime. Over the years, the apps weren't supported anymore for that platform and removed, and the TV isn't connected directly to my network anymore. Something like a Roku box has all the apps you need/want, more functionality, and will be updated.

Has anybody had the same experience? I'm curious
My TV is a ROKU TV. So I get what they offer. (which now with Peacock is about everything except maybe Google). Would prefer to connect with a ethernet cable to modem VS Wi Fi is all I'm saying. Not a big deal, but everything being equal....wish I had an ethernet port on this TV.

I'm running 5 ROKU TV's on Wi Fi. Only one sits close enough to modem to use ethernet cable. I can't tell expensive TV's last longer than cheap ones. Maybe pic quality is better on expensive TV's, but is kinda lost on me.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the responses so far.
I dont think that I care much about what apps it has, since I use a Apple TV already and plan on continuing to use it even if the new TV has built in apps.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 AM

we like Samsung TVs in our Apple-centric house.
one or two steps up from the bottom seem to be a good sweet spot for picture quality, the built-in apps and stuff i don't care since we have AppleTV.
size, i'm the wrong guy to ask - just got a 75" and moved the older 60" to the workout room for Zwift duty, replacing a ~15 year old 46".

re: repair, it's probably a capacitor blown or something otherwise down to a simple cheap component. finding someone to repair it may cost at least half as much as replacing it entirely?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:28 AM
n - 1

Most TV’s also have AppleTV within the available apps.

I like Samsung and I usually get them from Costco. I like their extended warranty plans that come with the TV’s.

I’d go for at least 55”.

For me, as long as you’ve got a decent WiFi router, not being hard wired isn’t an issue.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.
I dont think that I care much about what apps it has, since I use a Apple TV already and plan on continuing to use it even if the new TV has built in apps.
If you're reliant on another device being the brains for content culling then get the best picture your budget allows, and the largest size your space allows.

If you decide to splurge on an OLED rest assured that unless it breaks you'll have an incredible display for the next 10+ years.

LCD TVs are basically disposable commodities these days, so choosing one over the other is more likely due to size and features as opposed to picture quality.

Bottom line - you won't have buyers remorse if you slightly overspend on something you love for over a decade.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
Go with the largest size possible.

We recently have had very good results with a couple of TCL Roku UHD TVs.
Last TV I bought was TCL and it's the best one I've had.
Also good service. When lightning took out carrier and local service their customer service hand held me through a complex reset for a unit well out of warranty.