Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Man that is sketch. Nothing to winch off of and no way I'd park my truck up top and try to pull it straight. Helicopter ride...
LOL... I asked my wife as she's contracted out helicopter lifts before. The jobs she's done involved heavier lifts than the Jeep but nowhere near as long of a flight as getting the jeep out of there, and not as dangerous of an LZ for the crew. Her jobs were in the $300-400k range. Ironically that was cheaper than doing it with a crane since the helicopter is in and out super fast with no need to pay for shutting down the surrounding roads.

I went to one.. it was a heck of an experience to watch.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Man that is sketch. Nothing to winch off of and no way I'd park my truck up top and try to pull it straight. Helicopter ride...
Large earth anchor!
Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
LOL... I asked my wife as she's contracted out helicopter lifts before. The jobs she's done involved heavier lifts than the Jeep but nowhere near as long of a flight as getting the jeep out of there, and not as dangerous of an LZ for the crew. Her jobs were in the $300-400k range. Ironically that was cheaper than doing it with a crane since the helicopter is in and out super fast with no need to pay for shutting down the surrounding roads.

I went to one.. it was a heck of an experience to watch.
I hope the driver is rich or the Jeep was stolen. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Large earth anchor!
What is that? Sounds expensive.

Very large...

Last edited by charliedid; 09-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:10 PM

The rangers told us that it would cost at least $50,000 for a helicopter to remove this camper if it had fallen over edge of the road. The owner was fortunate that a wrecker was able to remove it for around $3-3,500. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...im#post2060144
Old 09-23-2020, 02:21 PM

Maybe install two of these on either end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDC18537-8F0E-46AF-BFAD-0229B24794CE.jpg (134.3 KB, 256 views)
Old 09-23-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
She has a twin? The mind races.

/jk
Old 09-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
That has to be the world's coolest rappel anchor.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:04 PM

When I bike commuted on Oahu, the Pearl Harbor bike path had frequent vehicles. I've got a photo on my portable HD that shows a car following me. Two events stand out, first was the white Toyota 4X4 pickup that was totally stuck in the mud. Over a period of a few days, I watched it get stripped to the frame. The second was a lowered Honda Civic that hit the raised concrete where the center pole would normally be. You could see a trail of fluid about 50 feet to the abandoned vehicle. It only lasted a day before it was stripped clean. Recycling is popular in Hawaii.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Maybe a helical anchor can be installed by hand in a remote location like that? I'm really curious how this is going to end. Looking at the map that is linked in the story, it looks like he/she drove a long way on sketchy trails before getting stuck
Old 09-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallen View Post
I bet many of us have a story about seeing a Jeep stuck in out-of-the-way places in local the proverbial woods.
When I was a kid and anyone who wanted could drive a car on the beach, it was cars half buried in the sand along the tide line.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:47 PM

I know a guy who lives here in Bozeman that took his dad's new Caddy out for a joy ride about 30 years ago. He and his buddies brought some beer and drove it on a dirt road that was rougher than expected. They high sided the car and got his totally stuck. It got dark and they walked out and hitched a ride home with the idea of coming back the next morning and retrieving it.

When they got back in the morning it had been burnt to the ground and was still smoldering. It had been badly beaten with big rocks and then set ablaze.

Not sure what happened when dd got back into town from his business trip but I can guess.

dave
Old 09-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
When I was a kid and anyone who wanted could drive a car on the beach, it was cars half buried in the sand along the tide line.
There are still beaches in FL that you can drive on. Growing up, I spent a lot of time at the beaches in St Johns county and I saw plenty of cars that the driver parked close to the water at a lower tide, and they ended up in the ocean when the tide came in. I had a CJ5 at the time and it would go anywhere...but it became a rust bucket due to all of the salt water
Old 09-23-2020, 03:52 PM

I'm not sure I'd want to ride my MTB down that trial never mind a Jeep.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
There are still beaches in FL that you can drive on. Growing up, I spent a lot of time at the beaches in St Johns county and I saw plenty of cars that the driver parked close to the water at a lower tide, and they ended up in the ocean when the tide came in. I had a CJ5 at the time and it would go anywhere...but it became a rust bucket due to all of the salt water
In addition to just driving on the beach, Daytona beach has a long legacy of auto racing. In 1927, Henry Segrave set the land speed record of 203.79mph in his Sunbeam racer on Daytona beach. In the 1930's several auto races were held there. The first NASCAR races were held on the sand of Daytona beach in 1948.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:18 PM

Actually now that we're telling stories about stuck cars.

My local MTB haunt has a whole bunch of 1930s-1950s car bodies/chassis/blocks sitting slowly rusting a way.

They're pretty deep in the woods, which makes me wonder if they were trying to offroad.

It's possible the trails were originally wider or something or there were dirt roads into the forest that no longer look like dirt roads.. there are very few trails in this network that a modern Jeep Wrangler could get down. Interestingly those old cars are a lot smaller than a modern Wrangler so maybe they could fit down narrower sections.

I'd be curious what the dimensions of a WWII Jeep were compared to a modern one.. everything got huge along the way with cars.. and the bigger the car/truck is the more space it needs to get down the trail.

Last edited by benb; 09-23-2020 at 04:20 PM.