Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2020, 11:07 PM

The problem isn't with the brakes, but with the frame...
Old 04-09-2020, 11:34 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Maybe not...

Not the case when I upgraded My Ti Super Spectrum from 7800 to 11 SR. I had to go down a tire size with the SR calipers the 7800 had room for.

And been in that situation before with Ti Record calipers. I learned then the rim brake calipers with the most room are BR-5800. Ti Record Calipers going on a my Look 585.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Exactly. When the world only ran 23mm tires brake bridges started getting lower and chain stays got closer together near the BB.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Just curious: are 11speed brakes compatible with a 12speed group, or has campagnolo engineered in some sort of modulation hurdle?
I have 2018 Chorus 11 brakes on one of my 12 speed bikes. The other has Chorus 12 brakes with the Shimano standard pads. I haven't noticed any difference.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I have 2018 Chorus 11 brakes on one of my 12 speed bikes. The other has Chorus 12 brakes with the Shimano standard pads. I haven't noticed any difference.
Thanks Dave.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Lots of extra clearance with Record 12 if you want it, by adjusting the screw on the side.....
Hi - I know this group attracts a fair number of Peg users. Has anyone managed to fit Corsa 28s on a Marcelo with SR/R 12 speed? I can fit Corsa 25s fine on Bora rims with not a huge amount of extra clearance but interested to give 28s a try. I haven't tried adjusting the screw yet though
Old 04-30-2020, 12:29 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarendon View Post
Hi - I know this group attracts a fair number of Peg users. Has anyone managed to fit Corsa 28s on a Marcelo with SR/R 12 speed? I can fit Corsa 25s fine on Bora rims with not a huge amount of extra clearance but interested to give 28s a try. I haven't tried adjusting the screw yet though
I don't think a 28 would fit (on a wider rim)...not because of the brake bridge/caliper. That might work. Up front (the Falz fork, or Ouzo) won't clear more than a 25. Back to the rear....it's the clearance on the seat stays that will likely not work with a 28.

On my Love #3, a 25 on a wide rim (HED and Enve) would leave a scant 2 mm or so between the stay and the rubber. Not much wiggle room there.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I don't think a 28 would fit (on a wider rim)...not because of the brake bridge/caliper. That might work. Up front (the Falz fork, or Ouzo) won't clear more than a 25. Back to the rear....it's the clearance on the seat stays that will likely not work with a 28.

On my Love #3, a 25 on a wide rim (HED and Enve) would leave a scant 2 mm or so between the stay and the rubber. Not much wiggle room there.
Returning to this with an update and a question. This is my 2008 era Marcelo with a Veloflex Corsa 28 on the rear, SR 12 and a Bora 35 rim. There is some clearance (perhaps 2-3mm) after taking up some slack in the cable but not much - also the bridge is pretty close. To the point @lavi raised there actually does seem to be good clearance up front with the Falz 2 on this bike as well as at the back on the seat stays.

My question is whether there is anything else I can do to the callipers to increase the clearance a little? I think @huck*this mentioned the adjuster in a previous post. Or should I just ride 25s?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9295 2.jpg (56.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9296.jpg (55.7 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by clarendon; 09-24-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Returning to this with an update and a question. This is my 2008 era Marcelo with a Veloflex Corsa 28 on the rear, SR 12 and a Bora 35 rim. There is some clearance (perhaps 2-3mm) after taking up some slack in the cable but not much - also the bridge is pretty close. To the point @lavi raised there actually does seem to be good clearance up front with the Falz 2 on this bike as well as at the back on the seat stays.

My question is whether there is anything else I can do to the callipers to increase the clearance a little? I think @huck_this mentioned the adjuster in a previous post. Or should I just ride 25s?
have you viewed post 23 in this thread from Karl? the adjuster screw does change the geometry of these brakes quite a bit depending on bridge location, something to play around with if you havent already for sure.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
have you viewed post 23 in this thread from Karl? the adjuster screw does change the geometry of these brakes quite a bit depending on bridge location, something to play around with if you havent already for sure.
Cheers. When you say adjuster are you referring to the large black dial screw on the side?
Old 09-24-2020, 12:11 PM

An extra washer between the brake and frame could gain you space too. I’ve done this in other applications.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Cheers. When you say adjuster are you referring to the large black dial screw on the side?
no. in the photo below you see a tiny set screw to the extreme right of the photo (just below the pivot point). that's the one to play with. it's surprising how much it changes the brake geometry. give it a try.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=AngryScientist;2800663]no. in the photo below you see a tiny set screw to the extreme right of the photo (just below the pivot point). that's the one to play with. it's surprising how much it changes the brake geometry. give it a try.

Got it. That definitely helps. I can get 3mm of clearance that way between tyre and calliper. Any views on whether that's enough (or go back to 25s)?

Also - what does the screw on the other side do..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9299.jpg (41.0 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by clarendon; 09-24-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Got it. That definitely helps. I can get 3mm of clearance that way between tyre and calliper. Any views on whether that's enough (or go back to 25s)?
if this sees dry roads mainly, that's enough. if you're frequently riding wet gritty stuff, you'll put some wear on the brake, but it's not a big deal IMO, i'd ride it that way.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:31 PM

I agree with above. While I prefer more, 3mm is enough for road riding. Don’t be shocked if you wear the anodization a bit but it’s not an issue.