Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I took their model as being donation based - if you value them and want to support them, leave a tip (one-time, or recurring).

I would of course prefer that there were higher marginal tax rates on the highest earners [sic] in our society and that the artists and journalists that enrich lives were fully supported for the betterment of all - noblesse oblige and all that - but unless the pendulum swings far in the other direction, the best we can probably hope for is that those with a modicum of disposable income choose to support things that matter such that the creators of content can be sustained in their pursuits. A society where everything is transactional and for-profit is a sad sad place to live, as I think we are slowly finding out.
I subscribe to the NYT, SF Chronicle, and (soon) WSJ. And various magazines. I think it’s important.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
You could write the story of "the need to ride a Dogma..." thread which would end withe the pro closet deal thread, a 1000 page novel written as a flow of consciousness beat style. It could be a major literary breakthrough.
Haha funny!
Old 09-18-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The Dogma Bums. I like it.
Even funnier!!!
You and NHaero are vying for the “punniest” Paceliners
Old 09-18-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I subscribe to the NYT, SF Chronicle, and (soon) WSJ. And various magazines. I think it’s important.
Agreed, though my subscriptions are more cycling-specific these days - podcasts and media outlets mostly.

I should probably subscribe to the NYT just as a non-denominational tithing to support accurate and truthful reporting, even if I don't have the time or stomach to read much of it these days.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:08 PM

Padraig has some good contributors. I really like Robot's writing (Friday group ride and others) and Selene was great in their podcast, though she is leaving. I've been a regular at RKP and will continue on at the new place.

Coincidentally, Patrick has a new co-host for his podcast, a woman from the Boston area that manages(?) the Ride Studio. She was my initial contact there when I was buying my Seven and she was excellent. She knows her stuff, was very helpful and was great to work with. I don't know if she'll have the same stories Selene had, so I'm curious what she'll bring to the table. I wish her luck.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:46 PM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
[snip]. It would be bad enough if that targeted marketing was simply for commercial products. But more and more, the targeted marketing is political propaganda.
How does the agit-prop reach the user, what channels is it transmitted thru ?

I live in solid red state, so political adverts are non-existent.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:33 PM

I second this idea. Your "Irrational Desire..." thread title was very clickable. You could write about the history of the bike and its relationship with Skye. Plus, you have great quotes from all the PL haters and detractors (myself included) who either became converts, or at were at least "dogma curious" by the end of your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
You could write the story of "the need to ride a Dogma..." thread which would end withe the pro closet deal thread, a 1000 page novel written as a flow of consciousness beat style. It could be a major literary breakthrough.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 AM
PezTech

New Cycling Site - The Cycling Independent -No ads/user supported

No Adds,

All new site from Pat Brady who did Redkite Prayer, Mike Cushenberry, a few others... Good stuff. Nobody's selling anything (though they wouldn't mind community/Individual support).

https://cyclingindependent.com/

My first article there... Guerciotti Restoration

Last edited by Charles M; 09-24-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:55 AM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=258507

Old 09-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
https://cyclingindependent.com/the-c...t-a-manifesto/
The time has come for something new, something with a broader mission, something that aims to speak to any cyclist out there, to welcome all who like to pedal. That’s why The Cycling Independent.

It’s my belief that cyclists are ready for a media outlet that accepts no advertising and is thus free of commercial influence. Mistrust of large institutions (including publishing companies, or maybe especially publishing companies) is a common theme. Our desire is to present you, dear reader, with a site free of affiliate sales, paid placements and the rest, to treat you with the respect that I have always believed you deserve. Hopefully, you’ll want to do the same for us.

Subscriptions are entirely voluntary. There is no paywall. Subscribers will accrue benefits like some premium content available only to them, and access to other bonuses as we dream them up.
Between this and my ongoing allegiance to CyclingTips, seems I'll have plenty of reading to keep me busy for the foreseeable future.

Wishing Padraig and his newly-assembled gang all the best with this adventure.
So I'm guessing we won't be seeing his kid in Specialized banner ads across the top of the site like at RKP?

I'll stick to Rouleur and CyclingTips.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Administrator

whole lotta mergin goin on today.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The Dogma Bums. I like it.
that's pinarello dharma, alright.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:56 PM
cmg

i like to read the Red Kite Prayer, think it's cool. https://www.redkiteprayer.com/