Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 07:25 PM

Folks, I said "chances are". Don't get yer knickers twisted.

I'm speculating of course. But it's fairly obvious it'll come eventually.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
The evidence is in the fact that I really, really want it
I also really want it. I'm not the most inside insider, but, barring a true accidental leak (not a planned marketing leak) I hear of things before most people, sometimes by a couple of days and sometimes by a few months. I've heard nothing about electronic Ekar. I want it quite a bit, but significantly less ever since setting up my Melee with a 1 x 12 Force AXS set up (48 x 10-44). It's not perfect, but I think it's more perfect than 2x ever was, for everything from mountain rides to fast flat rides. A 13th cog would be lovely, but I don't think it's necessary. But if electornic Ekar retains the thumb shifter, golly, I'm on board.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
I also really want it. I'm not the most inside insider, but, barring a true accidental leak (not a planned marketing leak) I hear of things before most people, sometimes by a couple of days and sometimes by a few months. I've heard nothing about electronic Ekar. I want it quite a bit, but significantly less ever since setting up my Melee with a 1 x 12 Force AXS set up (48 x 10-44). It's not perfect, but I think it's more perfect than 2x ever was, for everything from mountain rides to fast flat rides. A 13th cog would be lovely, but I don't think it's necessary. But if electornic Ekar retains the thumb shifter, golly, I'm on board.
I know it's coming as I was told that by the same people who told me Super Record WRL was coming 10 months later and it did - quite honestly though I can't remember if they said September 2023 or September 2024 (I think it was September 2023), but I'll say it again - regular EKAR is being blown out right now which is usually a great sign its about to be replaced.

EKAR is pretty important to Campagnolo and GRX 12SP seems like it will probably drop shortly, I can see Campy dropping 13SP WRL right after Shimano drops 12SP GRX. That extra gear is meaningful on 1X.

I sure wish they would do a 2X cheaper WRL group as well, but I have not heard anything on that.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
I also really want it. I'm not the most inside insider, but, barring a true accidental leak (not a planned marketing leak) I hear of things before most people, sometimes by a couple of days and sometimes by a few months. I've heard nothing about electronic Ekar. I want it quite a bit, but significantly less ever since setting up my Melee with a 1 x 12 Force AXS set up (48 x 10-44). It's not perfect, but I think it's more perfect than 2x ever was, for everything from mountain rides to fast flat rides. A 13th cog would be lovely, but I don't think it's necessary. But if electronic Ekar retains the thumb shifter, golly, I'm on board.
I would get it in a heartbeat if the pricing were even vaguely reasonable. The thumb button will almost certainly go away, but I don't care the tiniest bit about that - no other drop-bar shifter system I've used has had a thumb shifter, and they all worked just fine... I would be stoked if the shifter looked pretty much exactly like WRL. I figure that one sponsored athlete racing cross/gravel with SR WRL this past year was an early tester to get feedback about would need to change for an Ekar version.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
I know it's coming as I was told that by the same people who told me Super Record WRL was coming 10 months later and it did - quite honestly though I can't remember if they said September 2023 or September 2024 (I think it was September 2023), but I'll say it again - regular EKAR is being blown out right now which is usually a great sign its about to be replaced.

EKAR is pretty important to Campagnolo and GRX 12SP seems like it will probably drop shortly, I can see Campy dropping 13SP WRL right after Shimano drops 12SP GRX. That extra gear is meaningful on 1X.

I sure wish they would do a 2X cheaper WRL group as well, but I have not heard anything on that.
Even if there IS an electronic EKAR, it won't 'replace' mechanical EKAR any more than SR WRL 'replaced' SR mechanical.

I 'suspect' SR WRL will filter down to Record WRL...With small differences in materials for the ders..The calipers/rotors are similar across the groups already.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Even if there IS an electronic EKAR, it won't 'replace' mechanical EKAR any more than SR WRL 'replaced' SR mechanical.

I 'suspect' SR WRL will filter down to Record WRL...With small differences in materials for the ders..The calipers/rotors are similar across the groups already.
Maybe I am lucky but EKAR for me has been next to perfect. Through rain, mud, muck, and sun, it has worked just perfect. The ability to never have to think about anything more than grabbing a water bottle makes me happy. No way would I want to pay double for something electronic or wireless when this works so well.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Maybe I am lucky but EKAR for me has been next to perfect. Through rain, mud, muck, and sun, it has worked just perfect. The ability to never have to think about anything more than grabbing a water bottle makes me happy. No way would I want to pay double for something electronic or wireless when this works so well.
I hope this is my experience as I await a new bike with ekar. Even though I have an axs groupset I could swap out I’m going to give it a really serious trial for a few months before deciding! I’m very skeptical it will be as little maintenance as axs and perform as consistently…
Old 04-15-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I hope this is my experience as I await a new bike with ekar. Even though I have an axs groupset I could swap out I’m going to give it a really serious trial for a few months before deciding! I’m very skeptical it will be as little maintenance as axs and perform as consistently…
About the only thing you will ever have to do with EKAR is increase the table tension with a half turn on where it enters the RD every once in a while. A lot less effort than having to charge a battery every month or so and/or worrying about it being out of juice.

That being said I want EKAR WRL just so it's one less cable to deal with on a bike.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:31 PM

Nobody is claiming that EKAR mechanical will go away.

One of the reasons for the speculation is that Campagnolo having EKAR and EKAR GT in their lineup really makes little sense since they basically overlap in the segment. EKAR might be billed as higher end compared to GT but the differences really aren't that significant enough to warrant two groupsets are they?

It only makes sense that EKAR would be phased out and be reborn as electronic, while GT remains mechanical.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:42 PM
#RYFB

FWIW, I asked a builder (Italian) about holding out for wireless Ekar, they told me that they had heard rumors but nothing concrete.