Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 12-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Vetta custom steel CX/gravel/tourer...

My custom CX/gravel/light tourer frameset currently under construction at Cicli Vetta in Padua, Italy. Planned as a no-nonsense bike with the geometry of my Merlin Extralight, to tackle the gravel and dirt tracks I frequently ride on my roadbike but with the much needed bigger tires to smoothen the bumps and provide more traction in corners. No deep sand and mud so no need for more relax head- and seat angles or a higher bottom bracket. Tubing is Deda ZeroUno: 38.0mm down tube, 31.7mm top tube, 28.6mm seat tube and head tube for a 1" threadless headset. Comes with a steel CX fork.

Components will be all polished Campagnolo 10sp, a mix of Record (1" threadless headset), Record Pista (cranks), vintage (144 BCD 46t 3/32 chainring and bashguard), Centaur (derailleur, bottom bracket and seatpost), CX (canti brakes) and Veloce (Ergopower levers with mechanism removed from left side handle, cassette and chain).
San Marco Regal titanium saddle, Ambrosio Zenith hubs, H+Son TB14 rims, DT Comp spokes, Ciussi Innox bottle holders, Syntace F99 stem, Deda 215 handlebar, Speedplay X2 stainless pedals, Challenge clinchers, Tubus Carry titanium carrier and Brooks Suffolk panniers.

Frameset is currently at the painter and should be shipped before christmas.

Last edited by Ruimteaapje; 12-08-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Applause! Can't wait to see it "dressed".
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Interesting build. I dig the idea. I've actually worked up something similar.

Will the pista crank hold a ring and bash guard? I went with a chorus crank. Currently set up fixed, but I've got a silver veloce RD for 1x use. Debating a downtube or ergo setup like you have planned.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 AM

Thanks!

"thirdgenbird", I'm not sure yet. I have the cranks (170mm Campa Pista) and the 46t ring (1980s of perhaps 70s Campa) but the bashguard (old stock Campa from the 80s) isn't in yet. But with the right bolts I see no problems. On the inside I can go for another bashguard or a Deda Dogfang, still undecided on that.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:40 AM

I still have the Ergopowers from my old CX bike and intended to use them for this new bike too. The left handle came from the "TT" set which came without shifting mechanism. But since the plan steered more and more toward a neoretro bike, I opted for Ergopowers with polished handles. Purchased a previous generation 10sp Veloce set removed the mechanics from the left handle with the help of a youtube clip. Piece of cake and looks very much the part with the other polished Campagnolo components.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Whoa, this gonna be sweet! Can't wait to see this one all put together.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:07 AM

Got word from Antonio: the frameset is back from the painter and will be shipped in the first week of 2015.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM

Small change of plans, since its "maiden voyage" with light luggage will be a two week tour in the Ardennes in April, the Pista cranks with 42t chainring will be to much to tackle the steep climbs. Instead, I will mount Chorus carbon UT cranks (I have a set in the spare parts box) with a single 39t ring with a medium cage Chorus 10sp rear derailleur. With those changes I'm thinking about matching the bike with my Merlin, both in parts as in paintjob (mix of Chorus/Record 10sp, Open Pro ceramic wheels, Brooks C17, Campagnolo seatpost, different color, same font), making it a steel replica of the Merlin (same geometry, only differences are a 143mm headtube instead of 158mm to compensate for the 390mm fork stead of the 375mm road fork and a 1cm shorter top tube to compensate for the longer chainstays) but with fat tires and canti brakes.

Last edited by Ruimteaapje; 12-30-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:51 PM

I think the change will be a smart one. You will still end with three of the best looking bikes on the forum.

I'm also tempted to barter with you on those veloce ergo levers
Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM

I think the Veloce Ergos will move on to another project

A bit too much flash (its pitch dark overhere) but you'll get the idea: I pimped the very basic Tektro cable hanger with the help of an M6x42mm Syntace titanium bolt and an old Campagnolo brake adjuster.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Old 01-06-2015, 12:37 PM

Keep them coming.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:12 PM

BTW, I scored a nice wheelset: Dura-Ace hubs with Mavic Open Pro ceramic rims. Planned to use the rims for an extra set with Record hubs (like the set in my Merlin) but I'm now considering using a Marchisio cassette. Any forum members who used Marchisio with Campy spacers on a Shimano body?

Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 PM

Sitting quietly in a corner waiting for the canti brakes and some smaller parts to arrive. Bought Scott Drop FL bars off ebay (that's the Drop-in bars without the inward extensions) because I love their shape (hence the drop-ins on my Merlin), dipped the top section in an acidic drain cleaner for 15 minutes to de-anodize the aluminium, then gave it a quick polish to match the bars with the other polished aluminium parts that will go on the bike.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 PM

Can't wait to see this built up. No provisions for fenders, though?