Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Well... you didn't decapitate yourself.
Good job
I figured I didn't do that when I was going down the escalator at the Mall the other day, I should be able to handle this...

Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
What's the 'S' stand for?
SuperSon, of course.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
SuperSon, of course.
Where does SuperSon draw his power from?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Where does SuperSon draw his power from?
Nature and nurture, of course.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:

Old 10-17-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I have two of them. Both molecular biologists. His younger brother is more of the triathlete type. During their childhoods, there were usually 3 or 4 science experiments on the kitchen counter at any given time. Yeast production of CO2, scorpions in 1 gal wine jugs, Mediterranean Geckos, etc. The best of times. I am very fortunate.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:

That's Darwinian -- elimination from the gene pool.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Randomhead

Garage door repair and drywall are usually very cheap to hire out. I do both for myself though. If I had linear garage door springs I would have a repairman come in and replace them, but with torsion springs I don't see the issue.

I just ordered the parts to repair the dryer yesterday. There is a guy I call when I get frustrated with appliance repair, but dryer "no heat" problems is something I have done 3 times already. Sometimes I call a repairman just to get things done.

I bought an oven recently, and it was broken from the factory. I really don't want to pay $150 for installation, but they would have taken the broken oven back. I had to do that myself. Still don't have an oven.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM

I’m a fixer most of the time. Construction stuff comes easily as I’ve been in the industry for 35+ years. Mechanical stuff I’ve always used as a hobby/money saver depending on my age. I do farm out most repairs on the new cars.

Memorable attempts early in my wrench years were a head gasket on a 1973 Fiat 124 Spider-that was a 3 month project. Helps if you install the gasket in the correct orientation. The other a clutch on a 1976 MGB. Manual says you must remove engine and transmission as a unit. Smart kid thinks he can do it from beneath the car, transmission only. It cannot be done...and dealing with the separated engine and transmission while the car is unpleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Vendor

I like rolling my own too. A few years ago my washer stopped working. From my research it looked like the culprit was something on the controller. It wasn’t too expensive and so I took a chance and ordered a new one. It was really easy to install and kazam! I got another good numbers of years on that washer before the spider that turns the drum cracked. Apparently that’s a very common failure. At that point it was too expensive to fix and I got a new one. One thing I’d really like to do is a camper van build out. But I just don’t think I’ve got the time these days with two little ones.

I’ve been meaning to take on servicing the shocks on my mtn bike. I’ve been avoiding it since things don’t get too sloppy here in nor cal but also because things are always intimidating the first time. I should just do it. I avoided bleeding brakes myself for a long time but now I find it’s pretty easy.

Oh yeah, one other thing I did a little while back was to replace the water pump on my Honda Civic. The axle nut is on tight - really tight. There are some very scary YouTube videos showing how people have rigged up breaker bars to get that but off. I rigged one up myself and remember this cheater bar flexing like a fishing pole.

Last edited by weaponsgrade; 10-18-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post

Oh yeah, one other thing I did a little while back was to replace the water pump on my Honda Civic. The axle nut is on tight - really tight. There are some very scary YouTube videos showing how people have rigged up breaker bars to get that but off. I rigged one up myself and remember this cheater bar flexing like a fishing pole.
I remember when I did the timing belt and h2o pump on my Accord. A strong 1/2" impact wouldn't budge the nut, however an 8ft section of 2" steel pipe over the breaker bar & it broke loose. It did break the 1st socket before yielding to the second and that time it sounded like the socket exploded.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:25 PM

The one that I documented was "the stuck seatpost from hell".

Previous owner, perhaps 50 years prior, forced a 26.6mm seatpost into a 25.8mm ID seat tube.

It came to this, applying over two tons of pulling while beating on the seat tube with a 3# hammer against a softer block of Trex.

It was truly a matter of never giving up, all other methods having been fully exhausted.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:39 PM

Duplicate

Last edited by paredown; 10-19-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
The one that I documented was "the stuck seatpost from hell".

Previous owner, perhaps 50 years prior, forced a 26.6mm seatpost into a 25.8mm ID seat tube.

It came to this, applying over two tons of pulling while beating on the seat tube with a 3# hammer against a softer block of Trex.

It was truly a matter of never giving up, all other methods having been fully exhausted.
Mechanical advantage!

Very cool solution to a head-scratcher of a problem...

One of the great things about volunteering with Habitat--we have three guys who have forgotten more than I will know about carpentry--and they have heads full of work-arounds, procedural do's and don'ts. It has upped my game considerably!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
- This is loosely correlated but I haven't paid for a haircut for 20 years. I don't shave it down to nothing either. I leave around 1.5 - 2 inches on top, tapering down to nothing near my neck line. A big mirror behind me (temporarily hung inside the shower so I don't have any hair clippings cleanup....shower and its all clean again ), well lit area, a hand mirror, and high quality electric shears with all the attachments is all I've needed.
Just bought my first Remington clipper yesterday. $30 at Walmart. Been paying $20 for a #4 buzz every six weeks for years...figured that I could probably do it myself!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy