Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 05:36 PM

The big questions around Embiid are how many games he plays and how many minutes/game he can handle. If he is less than 70 games @ 30 min per, it does open the door for someone who didn't miss 1/8 of the season, and I'm excited to see what Giannis does with 4 shooters around him.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
The big questions around Embiid are how many games he plays and how many minutes/game he can handle. If he is less than 70 games @ 30 min per, it does open the door for someone who didn't miss 1/8 of the season, and I'm excited to see what Giannis does with 4 shooters around him.
I figure that KD and Steph will split votes; Hardin isn't going to win again, no matter what he does; the same is true of Russ; LeBron isn't likely to expend the energy needed to win a regular-season award; and if the past is prelude, Embiid won't play enough games to get the votes. So, that leaves Kawhi and Giannis. If Kawhi is truly healthy, my money's on him. If he's not, I think Giannis probably wins relatively easily. The Bucks will play faster this year, they'll move the ball around, and Giannis is a year more mature.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 PM

I just realized that I completely forget Anthony Davis, who, if he plays like he did at the end of last season, will walk away with the award. That said, I don't think the Pelicans will win enough games for Davis to be a serious contender.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
I figure that KD and Steph will split votes; Hardin isn't going to win again, no matter what he does; the same is true of Russ; LeBron isn't likely to expend the energy needed to win a regular-season award; and if the past is prelude, Embiid won't play enough games to get the votes. So, that leaves Kawhi and Giannis. If Kawhi is truly healthy, my money's on him. If he's not, I think Giannis probably wins relatively easily. The Bucks will play faster this year, they'll move the ball around, and Giannis is a year more mature.
Good analysis. This was kinda where I ended up too.... then I decided that Giannis was a little too trendy a pick and I wanted to be different. You're probably right. I expect the Pels to regress.
I really hope Kawhi is back - I love watching him crush souls on defense.

Sixers: One game, but I have a few concerns. Fultz and Simmons can't play together - not enough shooting on the floor. Good defenses (like Boston) will force those two to shoot everytime and deny post entry Double teams were more effective than I expected against Embiid - he's not Shaq Jr. yet. A lot of this is solved by putting Redick with the starters and having Fultz be the fulcrum of the second unit. That has its own issues since I think Fultz is a starter as a demonstration of the organization's confidence in him and a demotion could have the opposite effect.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM

my money's on steph. the odds are pretty good (+1500) and really the only year in the last 4 he didn't deserve it was 2016/17 (when harden should have won it, but they gave it to westbrook, so they had to give it to harden last year). and maybe last year because he missed a bunch of games - which only underscored how valuable he is. hopefully/perhaps this is the year the voters/media/league/whatever come back to their senses

giannis: can't get you a bucket when it counts yet, so no
durrant: guy's a space cadet
embiid: mvp is an offense award, and his most valuable offensive role vis a vis his team is as a floor spacer
kawhi: best he can hope for this year is a redemption season
russ: pft
harden: not if any of the voters watched the playoffs in the past two years. gonna take something major to get rid of that stink now that it has settled in
anthony davis: too much talk, too early. people will get bored and no one cares about the pels
lebron: if he didn't win it last year leading the league in minutes and putting up 28/9/9 i don't think he's getting another one

i might also put money on jokic at 100-1. if he plays this year like he did on the back 9 of last season he'll deserve to be considered

Last edited by boomforeal; 10-18-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 PM

It's only been a half or so, but this is the most engaged I've seen LeBron in the regular season since 2013. I want a re-do on my MVP ballot.

ETA: The Lakers really shouldnt be playing him 40 min a night.

ETA 2: I really really like Josh Hart.

Last edited by Jaybee; 10-18-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Registered (ab)User

After watching a few games this week I was all set to post something about "I'd forgotten how boring early season basketball can be"

...until I watched last night's Warriors/Jazz match.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:24 AM

the lakers/rockets fight was legit.
ingram was aggressive, but i understand - watching harden shoot 15 free throws and still complain to the refs, i'd be furious too.
rondo and cp3 have never been friends. no surprise there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
After watching a few games this week I was all set to post something about "I'd forgotten how boring early season basketball can be"

...until I watched last night's Warriors/Jazz match.
great game - the jazz played as well as i've ever seen, but yet...
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
my money's on steph.
ahem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 10.29.30 PM.jpg (52.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:02 AM

I was about to post something about how Giannis (29/17/7) and Kawhi (28/8/3 on 52/42/90 shooting splits) are having similar seasons and small sample size theater and Steph just had one amazing game... but that's not true. Steph has been really good in every game and super-galactic in one.

I think the Raps have to be pretty happy with the version of Kawhi that they got. And Giannis in a 5 out offense is proving just as fun as I had hoped.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Ultimately I think the Dubs will cruise through the regular season, particularly if they don't have the Rockets nipping at their heels all year. (Though if Morey gets Taylor to bite on this four first round picks thing and gets Butler, Paul, Harden, Capela, that might change the conversation.)

That limits Curry's MVP candidacy if he's just on cruise control for 3 months while Anthony Davis and Giannis are doing their Super Saiyan impressions every night.

And health matters too. I wonder if we'll see Curry's ankle problem crop back up.

I'll just take Trae Young doing his best Steve Nash cosplay early this year as signs of success. If only the Hawks could get Collins back on the floor.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 AM

I would just like to draw attention to the rolling trash fire that is the Cleveland Cavaliers, and propose that we retroactively return the last 4 MVP awards to LeBron for dragging that fetid corpse of a franchise to the Finals for 4 straight years.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I would just like to draw attention to the rolling trash fire that is the Cleveland Cavaliers, and propose that we retroactively return the last 4 MVP awards to LeBron for dragging that fetid corpse of a franchise to the Finals for 4 straight years.
It's a reminder that when LeBron isn't there, this is the franchise that selected Anthony Bennett number 1 overall.

They are going to be anonymous and terrible until the next generational player happens to come from Northeast Ohio.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM

LeBron Jr. will be draft eligible in 4 years. I feel confident that the Cavs will be in the first few picks, unless they have traded multiple first rounders to get off Kevin Love.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 AM

I know we have at least a couple Sixers fans here. How are you feeling about the Jimmy Butler trade?

How are the rest of the Raps/Bucks/Celts fans feeling about it?

I still think Toronto is the best team in the East, and maybe the most fun team to watch this year. (Unless you're into watching the Wiz find new ways to lower the bar for bad team chemistry while not actually murdering each other on court.)