Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsurf View Post
Challenge Strada or Paris Roubaix - nice tires with excellent puncture resistance, hard to fit first time though. I use the Gravel version on my Gravel bike, fast enough on road and grippy enough off road
Either the Parigi Roubaix has changed dramatically since the two pairs I tried, or you are comparing them to tissue paper in terms of puncture resistance. The two pair I tried were both the most difficult to mount and the most fragile, puncture-prone tires I've ever used, flatting around every 300 miles.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
Anyone try these yet? The OP asked about 25mm but these are only a mm larger, so maybe they would work. Been considering a pair myself, so any feedback would be great.

https://panaracerusa.com/product/race-classic-evo-3/
Earlier this year I bought a set of Panaracer Evo Race Gravel to use for Eroica. I was pleased with the handling. No flats on some pretty rough gravel sections. I haven’t put a whole lot of miles on them. They were advertised as 27 mm but measured out to 25 when mounted.

Edit: I dont see them listed on the Pnaracer site; must have been a limited run.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Either the Parigi Roubaix has changed dramatically since the two pairs I tried, or you are comparing them to tissue paper in terms of puncture resistance. The two pair I tried were both the most difficult to mount and the most fragile, puncture-prone tires I've ever used, flatting around every 300 miles.
I may be wrong, but understood that the Paris Roubaix was the same construction as the Strada Bianca; the main difference is that the Strada Bianca starts at 30mm width. I have the Strada Bianca, and seem pretty puncture resistant, even though I do quite a lot of gravel roads

I agree that they are difficult to fit, although there is definitely a technique to it
Old 10-19-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemdet View Post
Perhaps I'm getting stronger, but Veloflexes seem to have gotten easier as time goes on. I mounted a pair of so-new-they-stunk-up-my-house master 25s yesterday, piece of cake. A metal core tire lever certainly helps.

Their tires stretch out pretty quickly. Second or third installation is usually a dawdle.

I will note that I have always had terrible luck with punctures on veloflex tires - but only in the rain. Brilliant ride quality and surprisingly long-lasting.
Hrm- could be stronger! lol. I will agree that by the 2nd to 3rd installation it's a cakewalk!

My puncture as well was in the rain- guess these are dry tires only
Old 10-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
3500 kms on mine, not a single flat, riden four seasons, on and off-road and with plenty of rainy days. Definitely very robust tire with excellent grip, great comfort and durability. They are hard to mount the first time but afterwards you can mount them by hand. Using Schwalbe levers is my trick for easier first mounting.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM

I have an unopened pair of Parigi Roubaix tires with 240tpi casing. I read that these are a beast to mount, they flat easier than other tires, but they ride like a dream. I've just been too lazy to sell them. Too much work for me when I can just get some Corsa G+ tires and ride away happily.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
this is the answer if you want to deal with flats every few weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I am a fan of the Velofex Master/Corsa. No real problems with flats and it’s easy bike upgrade. They ride fantastically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturd View Post
That is, if you can get them on without throwing it out the window the first time..

But agree, I've had no problems with flats on these. I only recall one flat and that was because I was riding through the winter with them..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemdet View Post
Perhaps I'm getting stronger, but Veloflexes seem to have gotten easier as time goes on. I mounted a pair of so-new-they-stunk-up-my-house master 25s yesterday, piece of cake. A metal core tire lever certainly helps.

Their tires stretch out pretty quickly. Second or third installation is usually a dawdle.

I will note that I have always had terrible luck with punctures on veloflex tires - but only in the rain. Brilliant ride quality and surprisingly long-lasting.
my pal had his rear 700x25 veloflex with about 200 miles explode off his Bora Ones after suffering up a 45 minute climb...they were not hot nor was the pavement...the tire basically delaminated along the sidewall. Evidently his experience has precedent...
Old 10-19-2018, 12:09 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
my pal had his rear 700x25 veloflex with about 200 miles explode off his Bora Ones after suffering up a 45 minute climb...they were not hot nor was the pavement...the tire basically delaminated along the sidewall. Evidently his experience has precedent...
actually now that i think about it, the last pair of master's i had didn't flat or anything, the sidewall started peeling exposing the cord underneath.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:14 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
actually now that i think about it, the last pair of master's i had didn't flat or anything, the sidewall started peeling exposing the cord underneath.
I know people LOVE those tyres but I do not read about this kind of incident with any other brand. when they exploded, and I literally mean exploded, he was going 15mph on a flat section. In another 1/2 mile he would have been going downhill 8-15% at speed. imagine if the tire had burst then. now he is going face first into the pavement and then shooting off the road down into heavy brush. no thanks. I will stay with my G+ or 4ks2
Old 10-19-2018, 12:53 PM

Veloflex and carbon rims are a no-go, they make it very clear in the instructions that everyone seems to ignore or just not read :-)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Moving straight past easy jokes about authentically dangerous Italian parts - I've had issues with delam on Challenge tires, and I know that others have as well.

My experience will Veloflex consists of four sets of masters and one set of corse. All in 23 or 25. My biggest gripe thus far, aside from flats in the rain, is the move of the manufacturer label from the sidewall to the rubber. A terrible transgression, but one I'll put up with for miles and miles of fast, comfortable riding. I have put them through the **** and they have always come out clean.

That being said - their tires are handmade. And, as with anything handmade, there are unknowns, accepted tolerances and human error built into the final product. The pair I mounted this week could explode on my first ride, who knows. I trust them because of my own anecdotal evidence. I take your experiences into account, too, and would be concerned if the next thirty replies were people who also had problems.

Last edited by jemdet; 10-19-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM
v a n i l l a

Tan wall tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
Veloflex and carbon rims are a no-go, they make it very clear in the instructions that everyone seems to ignore or just not read :-)

I had heard that too in the era where carbon rim mfg was not consistent. For instance veloflex no no no on cheap no name rims.
Here we are talking Bora and the sidewall delaminating not the bead blowing off
Old 10-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Corsa g+
Continental GP classic
Gp4000s2 tan wall (only 23c though)

Those are the only tires I’d buy personally
Where can the tan wall GP4000 be found?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post