Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Hyperon Ultra Two vs Bora Ultra 50

OK the C60 came in and man are the Hyperons a sweet wheel, looking at least.

I was looking to get rid of them in favor of some Bora Ultra 50s (wider gen) also bright label. Is this a wise move? My other wheelset is Shamal Ultra, run tubeless.

Thanks guys for your help in making this hard decision.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM

I would replace the Shamal by the Bora 50. Hyperons are great, they are the wheels I use in the mountains as they do not catch any wind. Bora 50 are excellent everywhere and better on the flat and rolling terrain.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Agree....I'm a wide rim convert and unless you plan on riding somewhere where wind is consistently an issue, I'd go with the Bora over the Hyperon (I've had both).
Old 10-18-2018, 01:50 PM

I love to always have a set of deep section wheels. They literally save my energy on long rides when rollers are involved and lots of junk flat miles. The way deep wheels hold and carry speed, equate to marginal gains with your energy (My perspective). Granted I have (2) sets of 25mm section wheels, as those are good for long days of climbing where I can keep consistent cadence with the shallower rim.

TBH the Bora 35's are the perfect blend between the Hyperon and Bora50.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 PM
El Ciclista

I would make sure the C60 can clear the wider Boras with the tires you want to run. I have a C59 with the same wheels. Vittoria 25 tubies on the hyperon 2s fit fine. Not loads of room but not crazy tight. Maybe 1.5-2mm clear.

My hyperon ultra 2 tubies are my all time favorite wheels. With that said, I may be looking to sell them too but mainly because I am mostly done riding tubulars. My other wheels for the C59 are the Ti Shamal Ultras.

If you do go for the Boras, aesthetically I would lean towards the dark label. The red on the bright label is not really the same as the red on your frame.

Beautiful bike BTW!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:33 PM

I have Bora 35's dark label on my C60. I believe they are both more aero and lighter than Hyperon's. The Bora 50's are only marginally heavier. If I am doing mostly hills with crosswinds, I like the 35's. For flats and rollers the 50's. I think the 35's are a great match for the C60. I love your paint scheme.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 AM

Everything about this bike screams wallpaper. Many happy miles with whatever wheels you choose.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:43 AM

Stunning bike! If going for the "look", Bora 50's would look nice. As stated, if windy and a lot of climbing involved the 35's may be a better choice.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Cat 6

I always go deeper when possible. Buy my Bora's. I have a tubular (wider rim but non ACS braking surface) that have an estimated 600-800 miles available for cheap!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:49 AM

...another vote for the Bora 50s. They will likely weigh-in a few grams lighter then your Hyperons (my Bora One 50s weighed @1210 gr) but with all the aero "advantages" to boot. Also the wider Boras provides more gluing surface and no spoke holes, allowing more purchase, especially for wider tires. Lastly, the braking track on newer wheels does not even compare to the old carbon wheels. The Bora One is best value, compared to the Bora Ultra...USB Ceramic vs CULT ceramic, no carbon hub shell and only a few grams heavier.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 PM
v a n i l l a

The new wider Bora are arguably a better choice than hyperon when weighing the combination aero, weight, braking, and tire choice save for specific aesthetics.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:51 PM

I'll be the contrarian and say Hyperon. Just phenomenal wheels. I end up using them far more than my older gen Bora 50s.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 PM

"TBH the Bora 35's are the perfect blend between the Hyperon and Bora50."

This is what I have on my C60. The 35s are just a tad more compliant and for long rides, that does make a difference. Plenty fast, carry speed well