Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post

May I ask what is so humorous?
In these long threads you seem to be working your way through some very elementary concepts very slowly, starting with a statement that reflects some kind of libertarian 101 and then slowly conceding points and coming to a different place.

I respect that you are on a journey, but you can probably save the public few steps on the way.

Also your sig. Always your sig.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:08 PM

I accept you criticism.

We are talking about the post office being more able to set their own prices. I have been interested in this topic for a year or so after doing some research on how things on eBay from China are so cheap to ship here. I am sorry if my posts are not to your liking. I am hoping to learn more about the subject, it sounds like we have a retired USPS employee here and I am interested in their viewpoint and any info they may have on mail delivery costs.

I can think of many negative things to say about your posts as a whole, but I don't write them down because your a person and I respect your point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
In these long threads you seem to be working your way through some very elementary concepts very slowly, starting with a statement that reflects some kind of libertarian 101 and then slowly conceding points and coming to a different place.

I respect that you are on a journey, but you can probably save the public few steps on the way.

Also your sig. Always your sig.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Proud Grandpa

You all can debate the USPS and it’s pricing policies till the cows come home, but this WH did this for one reason and one reason only, to hurt China, our new adversary in the Cold War world...to think otherwise is naive. It’s trump being the ‘tough guy’ on trade with China cuz they won’t roll over for him like some springer spaniel.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You all can debate the USPS and it’s pricing policies till the cows come home, but this WH did this for one reason and one reason only, to hurt China, our new adversary in the Cold War world...to think otherwise is naive. It’s trump being the ‘tough guy’ on trade with China cuz they won’t roll over for him like some springer spaniel.
You my friend, are 100% correct.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Dadwatts

This post has thoroughly educated me as to why all my name-brand-'inspired' sunglasses from China were free shipping after being only 13 bucks.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:58 PM

I like USPS. and to paraphrase Kathleen Madigan, I'm still surprised that I can put a 50c stamp on a letter and a few days later, a complete stranger will hand deliver it to my niece in Fairbanks.

all hail the USPS and all it's warts and foibles.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
i like usps. And to paraphrase kathleen madigan, i'm still surprised that i can put a 50c stamp on a letter and a few days later, a complete stranger will hand deliver it to my niece in fairbanks.

All hail the usps and all it's warts and foibles.
+1
Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
It's Friday. A little humor never hurt anyone.

For real though, junk mail strikes me as the kind of weird social cost that the USPS ignited. Virtually no one wanted unsolicited mail, yet the postal service gave these mailers steep discounts on rates, and expanded their physical and human infrastructure to cope with the increased volume of junk mail.

Much like the debate about parcels from China, had the USPS priced junk mail to reflect a natural market rate, it would have kept volumes lower.

I used to deliver mail back in the '70's as a summer job. The PO I worked for used to let the junk mail pile up in a giant mountain on the PO floor. When it got big enough, they'd bring the mail sorters in on the weekend on overtime to sort it. Being a mail carrier, I used to hate that practice as it put a lot more burden on me to deliver it all at one time. Even back then, they said they made a lot of money on junk mail. They also talked about canceling Saturday delivery to save money (which they always talk about but never happens). Congress won't let the PO run more profitably by consolidating PO's, raising postal rates to cover costs, etc. so it's a money losing enterprise. These days, competition from UPS, FedEx, etc. ate into the PO's business, and the internet with electronic delivery of documents hurt first class mail volumes. The PO has to deliver to everyone in the country like those that live out in the boonies, so they can only do so much to cut costs in this environment.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Does this affect product purchased from UK vendors like Merlin Cycles, CRC, Ribble, Wiggle, etc.? I've bought stuff from Merlin with free shipping. I mean I think this postal treaty covers more countries than just China?
I am also interested in this question.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister View Post
I am also interested in this question.

The answer is yes but with a long tail. The UPU essentially governs all international mail. It is one thing to say you will exit the UPU , it is another thing to figure out the practical real world issues which will take time to renegotiate.

The reality is while the US tries to renegotiate rates, you will need to continue to honor the existing set-up. Otherwise, your international mail stops.

Now the practical issues to be renegotiated will take a long time. I think nothing changes short term or medium term.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I like USPS. and to paraphrase Kathleen Madigan, I'm still surprised that I can put a 50c stamp on a letter and a few days later, a complete stranger will hand deliver it to my niece in Fairbanks.

all hail the USPS and all it's warts and foibles.
Just got a guy I know send me postal rates in the Netherlands..1st class letter, 1 ounce or less, inside the Netherlands(small country)..$.83..so...
Old 10-20-2018, 08:02 AM

Fools Game

Attempting to hurt China is a fools game since they have many tools to retaliate giving them a strategic and economic advantage.

Keep in mind they hold $1.17T in US debt that if liquidated quickly could do serious damage to our economy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/chin...trade-war.html

The Chinese also hold a virtual monopoly in strategic rare earth materials essential for our electronics and defense industries.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/...-bad-to-worse/

Bottom line is that our economic relationships with other countries including China during the past 20+ years have been in a delicate balance where all sides have largely benefited. Deliberate attempts to disrupt this equilibrium may have dire consequences.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Attempting to hurt China is a fools game since they have many tools to retaliate giving them a strategic and economic advantage.

Keep in mind they hold $1.17T in US debt that if liquidated quickly could do serious damage to our economy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/chin...trade-war.html

The Chinese also hold a virtual monopoly in strategic rare earth materials essential for our electronics and defense industries.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/...-bad-to-worse/

Bottom line is that our economic relationships with other countries including China during the past 20+ years have been in a delicate balance where all sides have largely benefited. Deliberate attempts to disrupt this equilibrium may have dire consequences.
Delicate balance has morphed into 'stability' by sledgehammer'.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
our new adversary in the Cold War world...
Where you been for the last 60 years?! We get it, you don't like the current occupant of the white house
Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Bye bye discounted postal rates from China to USA

The price of beer is going up due to climate change https://www.popsci.com/future-weathe...MPID=ene102018. That'll probably hit most of us a lot harder than this trade war has.