Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 01:21 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
You ain't seen nuthin till you've owned a Border Collie. Good thing I worked from home and even then...

M
yes....I've had friends with Border Collies.....eventually wishing they had a herd of sheep too!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM

as a sidebar my daughter has been very active in goldendoodle rescue both her doodles have come from there. if you are interested in a doodle please let me know and i will give you her contact info.

You got a PM in this.

I would love to find a doodle type to rescue but there does not seem to be many around. I am sure that there are some but not many due to the of popularity of these crosses.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
yes....I've had friends with Border Collies.....eventually wishing they had a herd of sheep too!
Frisbee
Ball
run

repeat

M
Old 10-19-2018, 10:59 AM

Cavachon

Mix between bichon and Cavalier King Charles.

Professional lap dog, opinionated, smart, cuddly, stubborn.

Did I say stubborn.

Typically 15 lbs, ish. Our dog is 26 lbs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max Pro photo.jpg (60.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Max shaggy.jpg (60.0 KB, 117 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-19-2018, 11:33 AM

As an alternate to a doodle, I can't say enough good things about this furry knucklehead. Max is a Soft-coated Wheaten terrier. He's the smartest dog our family has ever... owned? You don't really own a terrier, they become a part of your family. Max is great with kids (since he really is a big, furry kid), loves outdoor activities, yet is also very good indoors and while traveling. He's big by Wheaten standards, weighing in at 55 lbs. of solid muscle. He can hike all day long, yet is the first family member asleep in the evenings and is happy to sleep in on weekends too. He does need daily activity/stimulation, but it's at a very reasonable level. One good walk or a few sessions in the yard chasing a ball keep him fit. The stimulation part just requires a conversation with him. Tell him to get a specific toy and he will rummage through the basket to bring you just what you asked for.

Downsides: no shedding means monthly haircuts. I groom him myself since it's both cheaper and easier to schedule. Initial training takes a lot of effort. He's incredibly smart, so you really have to teach him why he should listen to you. Reward-based training is the only thing that gets through to a terrier. Once trained, his incredible memory means nothing is forgotten. I find that I don't have to command him, I just have a conversation with him. His vocabulary is amazing. Being a terrier, he has an intense prey drive. A cat, rabbit, or guinea pig would not be safe in our house. Anything small and furry is prey. I have to clear our yard of all small creatures before I can let him out. He's been skunked three times due to his persistence!

All this being said, he's the smartest, most loving and obedient dog I have ever had the privilege of being closely associated with. Nothing like coming home to a "Wheaten greetin'."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max with bandana.jpg (121.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Max_&_ Allie_swimming_med.jpg (124.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Wheaten Terriers

That is one of the breeds that we have considered. We have talked and met with some breeders in the past year.
We also have two cats and there prey drive is pretty high and there grooming needs tend to also be high.
I am going to take a 3 hour drive and look at a litter of irish doodles this weekend. They have both irish doodles as well as standard poodles.
They even have a red standard that looks spectacular.
I am not in a huge hurry and will find our new fur baby one of these days.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Rescue!
Agreed. Here's a few places to start...
https://doodlekisses.com/labradoodle-rescue
https://www.facebook.com/IDOG.Rescue/
Old 10-19-2018, 05:41 PM

Why not a Golden?

You can have your sporting dog and a great family pet.

One of mine is competing in “dock diving” next season. He’s being sponsored by my LBS, and we’re having a Jersey made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 526924CC-C145-453D-AB89-7329DD64AEE1.jpg (136.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:15 PM

Wheaton

@Greg L, do you cross country ski with your dog? Can he handle several hours out in snow and cold temps?
Old 10-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
@Greg L, do you cross country ski with your dog? Can he handle several hours out in snow and cold temps?
He loves snow. With his thick coat, cold temps are no problem. The only issue is that his hairy paws quickly pick up lots of snow. Booties are a must for extended time outside in winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max in snow 02-14-14.jpg (77.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Max air in snow.jpg (88.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 PM

I was raised with Gordon Setters and briefly tried to keep the legacy going, but quickly realized it was not possible to give our Gordon enough exercise in a city setting -- the dog park and 3 mile runs just weren't enough. He went in to kinship care with my folks on my family's farm and lived a long and happy life.

We tried again about 10 years later with a cockapoo. She is now 13. As advertised, smart, personable, no shedding. In her younger days, able to play frisbee, etc., so not entirely a lap dog, but definitely much more domestic. That said, I have somewhat naively discovered that the genetic mixing does not necessarily lead to a best of both worlds result. She has had myriad health problems, blind in one eye at age 5, and in both by age ten. Lots of allergies, etc. Came from a very reputable breeder -- in retrospect, not sure there was much else we could have done, just suggesting that these designer mixes can still have plenty of problems.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 PM

Our two dogs are both rescues/pound puppies. Eric is almost surely a malti-poo because he had a chip and his original owner told Animal Control she got him as a puppy from a breeder. Annie was picked up as a matted, flea-infested, emaciated 10-11 month old puppy in the wilds of San Diego County. It's a miracle she wasn't eaten by coyotes, bobcats or hawks.

We had great luck adopting these two when they were old enough to know their personalities before we adopted them. Eric was 4 years old and very healthy. Annie was a mess but still loving and very spunky so we didn't think there was much risk of health problems with either dog. So far-so good.

There are so many rescue groups specializing in various breeds you might do well to visit some youngish adult dogs there to minimize the risk of future surprises/disappointments. Of course opinions are like elbows:everyone has a couple. I cleaned that up for publication.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
I was raised with Gordon Setters and briefly tried to keep the legacy going, but quickly realized it was not possible to give our Gordon enough exercise in a city setting -- the dog park and 3 mile runs just weren't enough. He went in to kinship care with my folks on my family's farm and lived a long and happy life.

We tried again about 10 years later with a cockapoo. She is now 13. As advertised, smart, personable, no shedding. In her younger days, able to play frisbee, etc., so not entirely a lap dog, but definitely much more domestic. That said, I have somewhat naively discovered that the genetic mixing does not necessarily lead to a best of both worlds result. She has had myriad health problems, blind in one eye at age 5, and in both by age ten. Lots of allergies, etc. Came from a very reputable breeder -- in retrospect, not sure there was much else we could have done, just suggesting that these designer mixes can still have plenty of problems.
It seems like there is still inbreeding among the designer dog breeder crowd. We ended up with a 100% purebred mutt rescue and he is as healthy as a horse. Very spry for being 11 lbs. can rough and tumble with dogs 4 times his size and loves it!

Something to be said for a rescue mutt.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I have watched border collies herd sheep and ducks at various Highland Games. My dad had a collie when he was a boy in Scotland. After my ex-wife kept our Labrador Retriever to go with the house and the kid I seriously wanted another dog and I thought it was time for a collie. Lucky for me I went to visit "George" with his foster family and realized he would NOT do well living with a single real estate broker in a condo. As a trainer told me: if you don't give them a demanding job they will make one up on their own and you probably won't like it.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 PM

I am going to go against the grain here. Get a rescue dog. You will save it's life and it will make yours more full.