Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 12:53 PM

Any brake housing less than 5mm?

In the middle of building up an older Merckx. The entry points for the rear brake housing is slight smaller than 5mm. Is there a source for brake cable housing smaller than 5mm?
thanks
Ryun
Old 10-18-2018, 01:01 PM

You have two options IMO....

1 - measure the depth of the hole thing and remove that same ammount of material from the plastic casing leaving only the metal visible (i think is about 6 or 8 mm), if you do it to the millimeter the metal wont be visible.

2 - what ive done and actually did last week as to sand the casing around till I got the right OD to for the casing to get inside of the hole, which is a lot cleaner than option 1 and using the weird ferrules ive seen around. It gets more solid aswell because the casing gets tight all the way in, not like floating and depending of those ferrules.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:03 PM

My 90's MX Leader used a 5mm brake housing all of the way through, but a buddy has a late-80's SLX Criterium that needed step down ferrules and didn't run housing through the top tube.

Might be these, ask your LBS tho.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:06 PM

Step 1 is where I am at now
I may still have some step down ferrules I’ll see how that works
Old 10-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
In the middle of building up an older Merckx. The entry points for the rear brake housing is slight smaller than 5mm. Is there a source for brake cable housing smaller than 5mm?
thanks
Ryun
For the top tube internal routing? For cable only and use 50% step ferrules for top tube braze on entry and exit holes.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM

Have a question, the step down diameter of those 5mm ferules is like 3 mm?? Asking because if the diameter is not exactly what the hole is the ferule will get lose and you create a weak point...

From my measurements at least in the EM I have, thediameter of the whole is like 4mm, or between 4 an 5 mm... sanding the casing just a little bit IMO creates a tighter link between the cable casing and the cable hole...so no weak spots where the cable can bend sharply you know.

Hmmm from what I can tell loks like are 5 to 4 mm which could fit tight in the hole, the other option is just ream that thing to 5mm?? a small adjustable reamer or even maybe use a small tube with sand paper will do the work.. just remove less than half millimeter. NO idea if somebody has done it... hmm...

Last edited by ultraman6970; 10-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 PM

Sounds like you need a step down ferrule. That cable guide should be sleeved from hole to hole, so you only need to run the cable.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Have a question, the step down diameter of those 5mm ferules is like 3 mm?? Asking because if the diameter is not exactly what the hole is the ferule will get lose and you create a weak point...

From my measurements at least in the EM I have, thediameter of the whole is like 4mm, or between 4 an 5 mm... sanding the casing just a little bit IMO creates a tighter link between the cable casing and the cable hole...so no weak spots where the cable can bend sharply you know.

Hmmm from what I can tell loks like are 5 to 4 mm which could fit tight in the hole, the other option is just ream that thing to 5mm?? a small adjustable reamer or even maybe use a small tube with sand paper will do the work.. just remove less than half millimeter. NO idea if somebody has done it... hmm...
With the brake spring tension always on, these 50% step down ferrules, altho smaller than the 'hole', stay tight, no weakness..I've installed many into Merckx designed like this along with older steel Pinarellos..

DON'T ream it bigger..it's really thin and probably will split.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-19-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:08 AM

Getting this alive, check at the shops around and cant find any, ebay has like 100 of those for 50 bucks... so wonder if somebody has a pair of those 5mm to 4 mm step downs moving around???
Old 11-04-2018, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Getting this alive, check at the shops around and cant find any, ebay has like 100 of those for 50 bucks... so wonder if somebody has a pair of those 5mm to 4 mm step downs moving around???
I have many. When you buy a roll of shimano brake housing, they still come with metal ferrules..standard, 25% and 50% step down ferrules..If somebody needs some, PM or email

freebie for shipping/mailing $

cp51errc@gmail.com