Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 AM

What sort of typical PDA functions does the Iphone have? I'm used to a Palm device with typical calendar, address book, to do list, etc, and it syncs up with my PC application. I assume the Iphone has something of the sort. How good is it and does it sync with a non-apple pc?

If the PDA functions are good, I may get one in another year or two - wait for the second generation and wait for my current contract to run out. I like what I've seen of the web browser. I don't need a lot of email function from my phone, but a basic ability to get to my business gmail account would be good. I don't use an Ipod, either, so that part would probably go unused. I have a bunch of music purchased from non-Apple sites in non-Apple formats that I don't think I could play on an ipod, so I'd probably just keep the phone and music functions separate.

-Ray
Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM

I've been using a Treo/Palm on Sprint for a few years. It's good for email..the phone is decent...synching works well for me. Web browsing is slow as sin and sites don't render well...I therefore only use the web features when forced (good for looking up phone numbers and online banking...bad for maps, browsing). The camera and gimik'y features are a joke, but I don't really care about those anyway.

For the nuts/bolts of day to day work it's good...but I'm looking forward to something with a little more IPhone influence in the future.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Currently using the latest Treo 700WX converged device. It is horrible. The only reason I have it is because my employer has standardized on that hardware. I would love to be on a BlackBerry instead, a more appropriate device for businesspeople.

This was a device that was pushed to the marketplace WAY before it was ready for primetime. The shortcomings of the Treo are almost too many to list. It's ability to receive and sustain a basic telephone call leads the list. Calls drop even when it's showing four bars of strength in a major metropolitan city during off-peak hours. Pathetic. Stick with the RIM/BlackBerry or Motorola devices and save yourself some headaches!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM

funny. my sister is having problems with her palm since she bought a new laptop that came with Windows Vista, and thinks she fried her cradle too.

Oddly enough I have a palm treo 750 on my desk, and its nothing like the old palms. It takes forever to boot (windows OS) and I find the keyboard kind of hard to use (and I have small hands.) Like someone else said, the bigger the better. I'm testing an application and the HTC device with a slide out keyboard is my favourite device to use... (if you're going to use it heavily.)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
What sort of typical PDA functions does the Iphone have? I'm used to a Palm device with typical calendar, address book, to do list, etc, and it syncs up with my PC application. I assume the Iphone has something of the sort. How good is it and does it sync with a non-apple pc?

If the PDA functions are good, I may get one in another year or two - wait for the second generation and wait for my current contract to run out. I like what I've seen of the web browser. I don't need a lot of email function from my phone, but a basic ability to get to my business gmail account would be good. I don't use an Ipod, either, so that part would probably go unused. I have a bunch of music purchased from non-Apple sites in non-Apple formats that I don't think I could play on an ipod, so I'd probably just keep the phone and music functions separate.

-Ray
The iphone has all the calendar, contact, to do list (Notes) and syncs fine with a PC. As noted I don't own a Mac and use Outlook on my PC. The sync works perfect for contacts and calendar when you load it onto the holder and direct it to sync. I also had no issue when starting the iphone and syncing all my old contacts out of Outlook. My only issue issue is that unlike a BB where your large employer has installed their software, the device doesn't record emails done on the laptop and iphone exactly. I run email on the iphone from a personal account as this is a personal device.

I think it is wrong to say an iphone is not a business device. Its only real failing is in email and only if your employer installs the software and everybody runs the BB. I've been a BB user for 5+ years and will have to say that I've never created a spreadsheet on the device and don't even know if you can. Opening and looking at docs is possible but painful on any device but no better on any of them. Ulitmately it is a notification that you need to fire up the laptop and really see what it is in the document. Web browsing is certainly much faster with wi-fi but not unbearable without it on the iphone. And the ease of reading way offsets the limited additional speed of G3 on the other devices. Try reading cyclingnews.com, nytimes.com or any other busy site with columns on another device - painful. As I said my company gives out any model BB you want and you'd be surprised how many folks also carry an iphone as well. If you are a road warrior you'll especially enjoy it. Would l like the iphone to be G3 - you bet. Would I like them to make it an open platform so you could add apps - definitely. But like when the BB first came out for email, the iphone is revolutionary and will hopefully get the other hardware makers to think about what can be done on one great device. (No I don't own Apple stock.)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
jonesing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Boy
My old PDA bit the dust. I'm in the market for a smart phone. Most important to me is synching up with Outlook contacts/calender with good phone quality. I use Verizon as the carrier. Any recommendations/reviews?
I've had a Samsung i730 for about two and a half years and other than wishing it were smaller, it fits my needs. For me, the most important uses are sycing contacts and business contacts (works with Biz Contact Mgr with Outlook), calendar, tasks, notes and email. BTW - I didn't subscribe to the Verizon data plan and view it as a colossal rip off, especially if you can find WiFi somewhere. Therefore, I don't have push email, which isn't a problem for me.

It's a little chunky, but that's mostly due to a reasonably large screen which is a bonus with TomTom installed. I give it a thumbs up.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Driveway Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee
funny. my sister is having problems with her palm since she bought a new laptop that came with Windows Vista, and thinks she fried her cradle too.

Oddly enough I have a palm treo 750 on my desk, and its nothing like the old palms. It takes forever to boot (windows OS) and I find the keyboard kind of hard to use (and I have small hands.) Like someone else said, the bigger the better. I'm testing an application and the HTC device with a slide out keyboard is my favourite device to use... (if you're going to use it heavily.)
i had the option between the treo 650 and 700. wanting to avoid the BSD, blue screen of death, and figuring testing and debug would require at least 3 generations, i picked the 650. great phone service, fairly reliable (rarely crashes), and installing 3rd party software is pretty easy. lost one day between dc and baltimore, while a friend was driving, i installed google maps, found us, and guided us to our destination. btw, if anyone has not tried google maps on their pda, this application rocks.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM

I have the Samsung i760 (replacement for the i730 that smudge mentioned a couple of posts ago), I think it's great and it syncs everything with outlook no problem. Unlike the iphone, it's available on Verizon. Good reception and call quality but not as good as the best dedicated phones.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM

I'm not a computer guy and my cell phone is ancient. I was thinking about the iphone and a friend that is a mac guru and has done reviews for some mac magazine said some upgrades are coming after the first of the year and recommended I wait. I don't know what said upgrades are, but I could try and find out if anyone is interested.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6267a
"...I installed Google Maps, found us, and guided us to our destination. btw, if anyone has not tried Google Maps on their pda, this application rocks..."
+1. Google Maps is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Two wheels good

+1 on reading the web via iPhone. Last week I was waiting for new car tires to be installed and was online reading The NYT and the Serotta Forum without a wifi connection.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:46 PM

Played with I phone, have a treo 700w, have owned treo 600 (palm os) and now have the LG Voyager.

The Voyager is NOT a business phone - but its a great day to day phone with lots of media options (the web tv is interesting, but not useful)

I'll bet the voyager will be a powerful tool once it is hacked and third party aps are made available - it is too new right now.

FWIW - the flip on AT&T is supposed to be a fantastic business phone. I haven't used one so can't say. My sister has the iphone and loves it. I ALMOST bought one, but it wouldn't allow you to set dates that repeat every x days... so it was not useful for me.

Good luck!

Check out CNET.com for reviews on phones.

Dek.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing

As for business... I can open Word, Excel and pdf docs and use web based Outlook. Hey, so I can't create Excel docs from the road... Does anyone do this on their cell phone anyway?
No, but I have a few that I make updates to. It's nice to have the data captured & update the "master" version on my PC when I sync up. Can the iPhone do this? If so, I might start considering a switch from my Treo 650.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly
No, but I have a few that I make updates to. It's nice to have the data captured & update the "master" version on my PC when I sync up. Can the iPhone do this? If so, I might start considering a switch from my Treo 650.
I'm not sure. That is a question for the Apple website or a "Genius" at the Apple store.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 AM

Smartphones

Thanks to all for the input and lively discussion. I'm more confused than ever, but now have a better understading of the practical pros/cons.