Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Fireselling bikes

Anyone here struggle with having many bikes, some unridden, and find some sort of satisfaction /refuge in fireselling to clear the consciousness and “start over “?
Old 12-16-2018, 09:30 AM

I have bikes that aren't ridden but they're a collection of classic bikes. Two Nobilette fillet brazed GT's, a Merckx MX Leader, and a Big Leg Emma. Emma gets ridden, just not that often. I'm getting a MTB in the coming months. Having them has no negative impact on my life.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Definitely, I have worked my way down from 5 bikes to just one, hardtail 29er, over the past couple of years. I am glad I did it.

I didn't do it "Firesale" style though. I sold one then sold another one a couple of months later and so on. I also parted out some of them. In my experience there wasn't much of a market out there for cross and road bikes with rim brakes but it felt good to simplify things.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 AM

I'm currently, slowly, reducing my stable. I'm planning to get down to about 5-6 total.

I've had as many as 20 roadies at once and over time well more than 100 BMX (thankfully not at the same time lol). Right now I'm at like 13 total but several can easily go, the others I'm not willing to take a bath on so no firesale, per se.

Spring will be here soon and the swaps will begin again
Old 12-16-2018, 10:44 AM

I have a habit of buying way more bikes in the winter to build up due to lack of being able to ride much. I typically end up offloading some in the spring/summer at what I'd be willing to let them go for.

I have fire saled a couple to forum members to justify buying another bike I desired, but honestly if you have the space and time parting them out usually nets a higher amount of money. I usually like to sell mine complete at a significant discount.

The stuff I was unable to move along here has gone to either Craigslist or eBay. I've had better results with eBay no reserve auctions that I started well below market value. The trick is to set the auction up to end on Sunday evenings as this is typically when you have the biggest audience of potential buyers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Fire selling and not starting over. Trying to get to a more manageable fleetlike two or three.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:47 AM

I’m just not in love with canti brakes. I have two bikes with them. I my convert one to braze on center pulls and then sell the other
Old 12-16-2018, 11:57 AM

I have a hard time owning things that I don't use. I have 10 bikes at the moment, a record high, and could divest some but they do get ridden.
Least ridden to most:
- late 60s Raleigh 20 folder - best use is when I need to lock a bike up somewhere for a while, like at the ferry, or, leave at one end of a through hike or paddle to ride back
- '96 Klein MTB, set up with big studded tires, for when it gets really icy here
- the Bilenky tandem I got this year from Steve - will get a few rides/year with my wife, not attached to this
- '72 Bob Jackson - keep fenders and rack on it, for wet days, some errands, some longer rides
- Nagasawa fixed gear road trainer - gets several rides a year
- Big Dummy - errands shopping taking our stuff to the beach - dynamo lighting, and studded tires for winter season
- '99 Litespeed MTB converted to drop bar 1x10 - transportation around the Island when the route is on and off road - gets the bulk of commuting miles
- CAAD10, to have a light skinny tire road bike for group rides
- Pivot FS MTB, used for the Sunday group ride, and occasional solo rides, and occasional commuting to work through the woods
- Anderson all-rounder, my main road bike

Could I get down to fewer? Of course. Would the bikes I use the least garner much cash? I don't think so. If I had to get down to 2, it would definitely be the Pivot and the Anderson. I've had the Jackson since it was made for me 46 years ago, my only road bike for decades, hard to imagine selling it. If some had to go, they would be the folder, the Klein, the CAAD10, the Litespeed, and the tandem. The Dummy is so useful, and the Nagasawa is such a beautiful object, and I love the occasional fixed gear outing. So at this point I think five would be as low as I would want to go.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:39 PM

I ride on the road only and have the most bikes I have ever had - three. I have had all three for 9 years though. It made sense when I had each bike in a different state, but in reality I did not ride much when I went to the locations away from home.

Now my CSI is on permanent trainer duty. I have had new H Plus Son Archetype polished silver wheels for this bike for five years and they have not been ridden. It is a custom for someone else but fits me really well.

My Serotta Nove is custom for me and in over 11 years I have never thought about getting rid of it. I love this bike.

My custom Spectrum Ti is at my home location and needs to get some miles now. In nine years it has been ridden 50 miles. This will be its year.

So clearly I don't need three bikes, and in general I like to get rid of things I do not use, but I could not get rid of any of these bikes.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2018, 12:53 PM

Have 3 - Order of importance:
- Firefly #257 road
- Geekhouse Cross
- 26" Fatchance Ti

All I would want is my FF to take 32's (28's what it takes comfortably) and others would be gone.
(wife has 3 also)
Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 PM

And here I thought this thread was highlighting a new brand called "Fireselling."

Old 12-16-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I typically end up offloading some in the spring/summer at what I'd be willing to let them go for.

I have fire saled a couple to forum members to justify buying another bike I desired ... I usually like to sell mine complete at a significant discount.
A good guy to keep an eye on as he has some sweet rides at good prices. My first Peg came from him and at what I consider a very good price.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
A good guy to keep an eye on as he has some sweet rides at good prices. My first Peg came from him and at what I consider a very good price.
Thanks man! I'd rather see them get ridden then sitting most of the time!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2018, 11:10 PM

My problem is that I buy frames and then spend way more to build them up than I could get selling them. Even the idea of selling bikes I built up from a bare frame seems wrong. Maybe that's an inescapable problem if you buy frames. So maybe I should stop buying frames. But tell that to the 1986 Rockhopper frame I just bought.

Thankfully, it's only five bikes.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:28 AM

I have 5 bikes: 2 road bikes at different locations. Both gets many yearly miles. 1 road bike geared for very steep climbs. That gets lots of use as well. Then we moved next to a State Forest, so I added a gravel bike which can handle wider tires. Then I won a new steel bike for raising funds at an event. Very sweet bike
I should have told them to give it to one of the other fund-raisers but did not think it through. I also did not know there was such a prize much less that I would win it. That frame/fork goes. Firesale guess. If I am not going to ride it much, no point in keeping it. I also find it expensive to keep these bikes in riding condition. Adds up