Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Agreed. When I lived in the area it was my pet climb. Even though I now live in Tucson with Mt Lemmon in my backyard, I still pine for Mt Hamilton.

Mt. Lemmon is an awesome climb though. Some amazing views on the way up. And it hurts.
I second Mt Lemmon, great climb.

Not so sure about Mt Hamilton. The views aren't that great during the climb (esp. compared to Mt Tam), just a long slog. More of a challenge from the backside.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I'm not sure why Mt. Hamilton doesn't get more love. The ascent is (by far) the easiest of the "Big Three" (Tam, Diablo) and the views are stunning.
The grade of the road up the front of Mount Hamilton was intended for mules pulling wagons to supply the construction of the observatory at the top. Now, the backside is another story.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 PM

Yes. I remember Hamilton's "backside" well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
The grade of the road up the front of Mount Hamilton was intended for mules pulling wagons to supply the construction of the observatory at the top. Now, the backside is another story.
The first time up Hamilton, I just Googled the quickest way to get up via my starting point. It sent me up this hellacious isolated road that must've been a consistent 10-15% grade. I forget the name of the road but I met up with a whole bunch of the Oakland Yellowjackets who thought the whole ride had been pretty mellow.

Turns out they took a different route up ...
Old 12-14-2018, 09:13 PM

It sounds like you went up Sierra road. The TOC has used that road a couple times. Brutal.

Last edited by Hindmost; 12-15-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: You guys are right it's Quimby. I had climb dyslexia.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 PM

It was Quimby Road, the shortcut that trims off the initial section of the Hamilton climb from Alum Rock. Quimby is worse than Sierra and you must climb it on a summer day to appreciate the upper section in the baking sun.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
It was Quimby Road, the shortcut that trims off the initial section of the Hamilton climb from Alum Rock. Quimby is worse than Sierra and you must climb it on a summer day to appreciate the upper section in the baking sun.
Yes. It was Quimby. I remember it had an unusual name. Bleech. Horrible.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Yes. It was Quimby. I remember it had an unusual name. Bleech. Horrible.
Ha! A friend just did an Everesting, 17 times Quimby. I would be afraid of that descent when I am so tired.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:47 AM

I suggest some of the northeast climbs are memorable. Mt. Washington, for me at least, is/was an experience I will never forget. It lives up to all the hype it gets from various lists. I think it is 12% for 7.4 miles. The views are breath taking. And I think there is a haunting sense of isolation at the top with the changing cloud cover and winds, depending on the weather, of course. You can climb it, however, only on race day and the practice day, which is open only to the racers.

I will also put in a plug for Mt. Ascutney in Vermont which can be climbed anytime in season. I think it is 3.4 miles at 12%. There is no view until you get to the top, but once there it is quite spectacular. I appreciate the climb as the road is narrower and you are under a canopy of trees. There is very little traffic - so it is you and the climb.

I found Mt. Mitchell (from the Marion side) to be disappointing. It may be I was too physically drained to appreciate it, but more traffic, much wider road, and a grind it out (seemingly forever for someone as slow as I am!) climb.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:36 AM
formerly Landshark_98

underrated: all of the climbs out of Barcelonnette: Col de la Bonette, Coll d'Allos, Col de la Coyelle, Col de Vars ....

A great place to base for a week of great riding and climbing.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Ha! A friend just did an Everesting, 17 times Quimby. I would be afraid of that descent when I am so tired.
Wow. Kudos to your buddy. That's a disgusting climb. Nothing redeeming about it. It's been several years, but I recall it has some pretty technical switchbacks and the road isn't in great condition. I'd be very cautious descending when I'm wide awake...
Old 12-15-2018, 01:37 PM

I've found that a lot of the best climbs I have done are the unnamed climbs in proximity to famous ones.

I spent a summer in Bormio and the best climb was this little side road that climbed out of the valley for 20 miles and dead ended at a waterfall. At the time the Strava segment had fewer than 15 rides.

Some of the best climbs I did in Mallorca were unnamed as well.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:29 PM

ALL of the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
I've found that a lot of the best climbs I have done are the unnamed climbs in proximity to famous ones.

I spent a summer in Bormio and the best climb was this little side road that climbed out of the valley for 20 miles and dead ended at a waterfall. At the time the Strava segment had fewer than 15 rides.

Some of the best climbs I did in Mallorca were unnamed as well.
Unnamed untamed very rarely ridden:
Tibet, KKH in Pakistan, Yemen backrods etc etc etc
The climb to Everest base camp is my fave
The pass is 19k
Basecamp is 17
Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 PM

Kokee on the Western Hawaii island of Kauai ... Steep climb with views of the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Unremitting tropical sun. I did it in 1995 or 96. Cramped 2/3 of the way up and couldn't get my leg over my seat to get off the bike. Eventually remounted and limped to the finish. Hard to carry enough water and there is no place to stop to get any.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
Unnamed untamed very rarely ridden:
Tibet, KKH in Pakistan, Yemen backrods etc etc etc
The climb to Everest base camp is my fave
The pass is 19k
Basecamp is 17
I wonder what Bikeflights charges to ship to Lhasa?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 PM

Iowa Hill Road

Of all the big climbs in Nor Cal I'd put Iowa Hill Road as my fav - I would call it under-rated. It is harder than just about any climb I've done in this area, but also incredibly beautiful, and very remote (no cars, no services). A black bear in the road is not uncommon. Start in Auburn and make a loop back via Foresthill. Or do an out and back on Iowa Hill road for a crazy 1.75 mile plunge. If you add and out and back to Robinson Flat once you hit the Forest hill road junction you'll end up with about 10K' of climbing and 100 miles. Don't try it with a standard crank unless you have some solid standing power.