Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 PM

The climb up Pelton Dam Road outside Madras OR was very underrated, 1.7mi averaging 14% at mile 72. Only time I can remember walking.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I don't mind the suffering. But I want the payoff. I want panoramic vistas, and a sense of awe and wonder. That's why I hated the climb up Hood. I thought the scenery didn't justify the effort. That's also why I'll be hard pressed to experience a more rewarding climb than Mt. Tam.

Anyone got feedback on Washington State climbs? The gravel grind up Slate Peak is probably number one, followed by Washington Pass.

To Rain Dogs: I think "overrated climbs" is more interesting than "underrated."
One southern Washington ride (Gorge):

Start in the town Klickitat, south to Klickitat Appleton Road (lovely climb with views down the Klickitat River, about 1600 verts), right on Canyon Road to Fisher Hill Road (Mt. Adams views) to Gravel Pit Road (short stretch of gravel) to Lakeside Road (views of Mt. Adams), to Glenwood Highway and go east descending back into the Klickitat River valley, cross the river and climb back out (more River views about 1500 verts), right on Highway 142 and descend a cool single lane euro style road back to the Klickitat River and follow the river back to the start. About 60 miles and 5000 verts total. Very little motor vehicle traffic with nice views.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
One southern Washington ride (Gorge):

Start in the town Klickitat, south to Klickitat Appleton Road (lovely climb with views down the Klickitat River, about 1600 verts), right on Canyon Road to Fisher Hill Road (Mt. Adams views) to Gravel Pit Road (short stretch of gravel) to Lakeside Road (views of Mt. Adams), to Glenwood Highway and go east descending back into the Klickitat River valley, cross the river and climb back out (more River views about 1500 verts), right on Highway 142 and descend a cool single lane euro style road back to the Klickitat River and follow the river back to the start. About 60 miles and 5000 verts total. Very little motor vehicle traffic with nice views.
Thx for the great feedback! I'll put it on the list...
Old 12-11-2018, 03:20 PM
50 bpm

There are many good climbs north of Atlanta, my favorites being Brasstown Bald and Hogpen Gap.

OK, Brasstown Bald is NOT my favorite. It sucks. But it is a great climb nonetheless.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
There are many good climbs north of Atlanta, my favorites being Brasstown Bald and Hogpen Gap.

OK, Brasstown Bald is NOT my favorite. It sucks. But it is a great climb nonetheless.
Brasstown Bald! Overrated!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I certainly have not climbed them all, but I'd say most memorable for me:

Granite Pass, WY
Shell Canyon is a beautiful place.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:28 PM

McKenzie Pass and Hells Canyon

Any Oregonians familiar with it? Worth doing?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Any Oregonians familiar with it? Worth doing?
Pretty much any riding in OR is worth doing. McKenzie has that great Mars'scape aesthetic, just beautiful in a never seen something like that before way. I didn't find it particularly challenging, however, much preferred, or challenged by, the climb to and around Crater Lake from Fort Klamath.

I've done Hells Canyon a couple times, one in and back from Halfway and a point to point from Cambridge ID to Halfway. Both awesome, but the point to point was epic.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Pretty much any riding in OR is worth doing. McKenzie has that great Mars'scape aesthetic, just beautiful in a never seen something like that before way. I didn't find it particularly challenging, however, much preferred, or challenged by, the climb to and around Crater Lake from Fort Klamath.

I've done Hells Canyon a couple times, one in and back from Halfway and a point to point from Cambridge ID to Halfway. Both awesome, but the point to point was epic.
That ride seems epic. You could approach Hells Canyon from Joseph as well, according to my guide book.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:58 PM

Did the Folk Art center to Mt Mitchell ride this past summer and got to say one of the most beautiful rides I’ve seen. Also a fan of the Six Gap climbs in Georgia
Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Did the Folk Art center to Mt Mitchell ride this past summer and got to say one of the most beautiful rides I’ve seen. Also a fan of the Six Gap climbs in Georgia
Folk art Mt Mitchell ride is awesome, amazing strip of road. Lots and lots of car traffic in the summer, best as an early start as it can get hairy with all of the tourists not used to driving on those roads. Six Gap yes! Lots of good riding in WNC/Eastern TN/North GA/Northwest SC.

Forgot to add Roan Mountain on the NC/TN border about 30 min from Johnson City. Great climb on both sides (the less traffic "other" side is a lot different than the more known side, lots of twists and turns and very little car traffic. Neat section of the AT up top too. Rt 19E getting there not so nice by bike...

Last edited by MrCannonCam; 12-12-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:16 AM
Law Bomb

One climb that hasn’t been mentioned here, and thus will go in the underrated category, is Mt Hamilton. The ATOC included it a few years back...I want to say 2011 or 2012. The climb starts in San Jose on the outskirts of urban sprawl. In 19 miles you gain around 4K vertical feet. The views are amazing, you climb through three different biomes up to the Lick Observatory with a 360 degree view of California. On a clear day you can see to San Francisco.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
One climb that hasn’t been mentioned here, and thus will go in the underrated category, is Mt Hamilton. The ATOC included it a few years back...I want to say 2011 or 2012. The climb starts in San Jose on the outskirts of urban sprawl. In 19 miles you gain around 4K vertical feet. The views are amazing, you climb through three different biomes up to the Lick Observatory with a 360 degree view of California. On a clear day you can see to San Francisco.
I'm not sure why Mt. Hamilton doesn't get more love. The ascent is (by far) the easiest of the "Big Three" (Tam, Diablo) and the views are stunning.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:23 PM
coffee consumer

/dirty kanza?

so, many years ago when I decided on giving the Dirty Kanza thing a try, quite a few cycling articles about the route touted "Chevron Hill" as this long, grueling climb on chirt. I'd been on the lookout for this massive effort but was confused as my maps told me it was behind me. I figured I was off course until some other riders who confirmed my position...I don't even remember it.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Law Bomb

Quote:
I'm not sure why Mt. Hamilton doesn't get more love. The ascent is (by far) the easiest of the "Big Three" (Tam, Diablo) and the views are stunning.
Agreed. When I lived in the area it was my pet climb. Even though I now live in Tucson with Mt Lemmon in my backyard, I still pine for Mt Hamilton.

Mt. Lemmon is an awesome climb though. Some amazing views on the way up. And it hurts.