Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 04:16 PM

I'll be interested to see it--I like level top tubes and have been thinking about bargain titanium...
Old 11-27-2018, 04:36 PM
ZhugeLiang

Common pal, this is how I ended up with most of my so-called "broken" frames except i am the one who took the leap of faith in getting them over to my place and ride the snot out of em' to "validate" and prove that these franes are not beyond redemption and their "sell by" date. In fact, I just rode a "cracked" carbon bike this morning, it was really an awesome bike, the frameset itself brand new retails at MSRP$4,999 but I will never pay this kinda money for a bike so I guess I lucked out. I do appreciate that different people have different tolerance level and those cracks found on the carbon bike may well be outside of their comfort zone. That's ok, and actually I am counting on that to be true, call me crazy or stupid but things like this don't really faze me, that's why I ended up with the broken frames that I did. Yours being a titanium, I would have even less concern.

Last edited by weisan; 11-27-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
So I've had this bike in the house since 2006 ish, it's a 01 or 02 I bought lightly used. In 08 I got hit by a car on it and the rear wheel was taco'd, fork wrecked and the left seat stay has a pretty nice ding in it. I took it down to the frame and it hung for a few years. Since then I rebuilt it and first used it on the trainer and then after realizing the bike was still straight I rode it for maybe 8k miles before retiring it for the 2014 Vamoots I now have.

Come 2019 I'm going to have to trim my bike stable down to about 2 from the 8 or so I have now. So I have this Vamoots that I'm never going to ride but have very mixed feelings about how I get rid of it. I don't feel it's worth fixing for me and Moots actually told me to just ride it as they didn't want to deal with it.
Is something like this worth anything? Should I cut it up and permanently retire it? Looking to the collective wisdom of the forum for advice on this one!
"With enough money, you can do anything"..for enough $, Moots will replace the stay and refurb the frame BUT if it's rideable, sell it as that, rideable but not dangerous damage as per the manufacturer. DON'T cut it up fer crips sake..it's rideable. Cracked carbon or aluminum or steel or titanium? No thanks...But a dent in a ridden and certified by Moots frame..sell it.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-28-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM

Throw it up on the classifieds here (or if no nibbles, the bay). Take many pics and give a detailed description of the bike and its history. Assuming it's not wonky custom geo, I bet someone looking for well constructed Ti winter bike would be interested. Be realistic with your price, and it will sell for sure.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 AM

All,
I had a couple of PMs and happy to say that it's on the way to a new home at what was a fair price for both of us.

Super happy with the outcome, it'll get some good use and I'm down a frame. Now to sell off 5 more so I can get down to my traveling quiver.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
This forum is the best!!!

Thanks for all the input, I'll dig it out and snap some pictures. After I built it back up and rode it all I kept thinking was how great of a bike it still was with that silky smooth ride. It'd make a great cheap ti bike to try out the moots magic knowing up front it'd been through some stuff.
I love bikes like this! bikes don't need to be pristine, a few battle scares shows the history of the bike and you'll have stories to tell. old bikes will not have the tire clearance or disc brakes, but if its a great riding bike, that's what really matters.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:36 PM

Congrats to the new owner! Such great, classic bikes. I want to give mine a hug every time I ride it.

texbike
Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
All,
I had a couple of PMs and happy to say that it's on the way to a new home at what was a fair price for both of us.

Super happy with the outcome, it'll get some good use and I'm down a frame. Now to sell off 5 more so I can get down to my traveling quiver.
What other bikes are you selling?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Whoever bought it...

You might contact Jim Kish for a repair estimate.