Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
condolences, @wc1934. that was a tough match

LFC was quite profligate in front of goal though. One of those nights

Otoh, Spurs aren't so Spursy after all. Doubt anyone would want to play them
Napoli rues that first game draw with Red Star.
Today Napoli was totally outmatched. Milik had a last minute chance but Allison came up big.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Napoli rues that first game draw with Red Star.
I'm really sorry that Liverpool advanced at the cost of Napoli, and not PSG, and they need to convert some of those chances, sweet cheeses. Salah had three great chances, and converted the least likely one. Let's not even talk about Mane . . .

Red Star, despite never coming to close to advancing, definitely had an impact, beating Liverpool at home, etc.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
I'm really sorry that Liverpool advanced at the cost of Napoli, and not PSG, and they need to convert some of those chances, sweet cheeses. Salah had three great chances, and converted the least likely one. Let's not even talk about Mane . . .

Red Star, despite never coming to close to advancing, definitely had an impact, beating Liverpool at home, etc.
I should say so - 1-0 "looks" respectable.
But, Mane could have/should have had a hat trick- different scoreline.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I should say so - 1-0 "looks" respectable.
But, Mane could have/should have had a hat trick- different scoreline.
and Salah should have had a brace...

Also, something is wrong re: the scheduling of matches. The other four groups have much more interesting matches than the four groups of today. Same thing for the last match day. There are always about 2-3 interesting matches/ match day for the other match day; not much going on here
Old 12-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Champions League
Round of 16. The draw will be held on Monday, December 17.

Pot 1

Borussia Dortmund

Barcelona

Paris Saint-Germain

Porto

Bayern Munich

Manchester City

Real Madrid

Juventus

Pot 2

Atletico Madrid

Tottenham Hotspur

Liverpool

Schalke 04

Ajax

Roma

Lyon

Manchester United
Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM

As a Liverpool Fan, I'm thrilled to be into the last 16 and top of the league in Mid December!

Roll on Sunday when Mourinho loads 2 buses in front of the Manchester United goal
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
As a Liverpool Fan, I'm thrilled to be into the last 16 and top of the league in Mid December!

Roll on Sunday when Mourinho loads 2 buses in front of the Manchester United goal
and it still could be breached, especially when there's no one there to drive the bus, as he throws players under the bus
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 AM

yikes, in the span of a few short weeks, Liverpool is down to just Lovren and Van Dijk for their centerback pairing. That's gotta be a cause for concern. Perhaps they could pick up someone in January?
Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM

I believe a new single by the title of Chips Don't Lie just debuted in Liverpool, set to the tunes of Hips Don't Lie.

I never really knew that he could play like this,
He makes me want to say in Spanish
nuevo trabajo para Mourinho,
en la mañana hasta luego

Two wicked deflections, but well deserved
Old 12-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Cranky!

I've been a Liverpool fan for twenty years, and this feels like a sea change.

Even post-Ferguson, United still spent money on great players, won Trophies, and proved difficult for Liverpool to beat. Surely, we thought, they'd find a way to buy success and be back in contention.

But today there was a gulf of class between the two, and I don't see an easy way back for United, because they've already tried all the obvious things.

Not finding a way to use Paul Pogba is just malpractice, really.

This must be what it was like for United fans to watch Spice-Boys era (mid 90's) Liverpool, but it would be more fun to gloat if United weren't so weird and depressing . . .
Old 12-17-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
I've been a Liverpool fan for twenty years, and this feels like a sea change.

Even post-Ferguson, United still spent money on great players, won Trophies, and proved difficult for Liverpool to beat. Surely, we thought, they'd find a way to buy success and be back in contention.

But today there was a gulf of class between the two, and I don't see an easy way back for United, because they've already tried all the obvious things.

Not finding a way to use Paul Pogba is just malpractice, really.

This must be what it was like for United fans to watch Spice-Boys era (mid 90's) Liverpool, but it would be more fun to gloat if United weren't so weird and depressing . . .
except the most obvious of them all; get the Special One on a bus and drive him off. that squad is more than talented and deep enough to challenge for at least the top four. could you imagine how much more cohesive they could be if Poch or Sarri were the manager?

And speaking of Poch, they'll have to play against BVB 09 for the next round. Coming to futbol relatively late in life, I really don't have a favorite team by geography or family tradition, but BVB 09 is perhaps the closest, and it's not solely b/c of Pennsylvania's finest export. I also really like what Klopp and Poch have done. While it'd have been nice to see Spurs advance (and perhaps knock out Juve somewhere along the way), I'm going BVB 09 for that tie.

May your team fare well against Bayern, whom I quite dislike.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 AM
needs adult supervision

And he’s gone.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
And he’s gone.
Finally! They had to do something - major spending and 19 points out. I think he lost control of the club and the players were not playing for him - their style of play was dreadful. But I was surprised about the timing.

Last edited by wc1934; 12-18-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: not
Old 12-18-2018, 09:43 AM
needs adult supervision

Agree, timing is a question. Mid-season firings always feel panicky, but maybe things have gotten so toxic between players and Jose, any move helps. Their league hopes seem futile (even getting to top four, says the Gunners fan) but maybe the club hopes for some kind of a CL shake-up miracle?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Finally! They had to do something - major spending and 19 points out. I think he lost control of the club and the players were not playing for him - their style of play was dreadful. But I was surprised about the timing.
he does have prior record of getting fired mid-season; perhaps they could convey Hiddink to take charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Agree, timing is a question. Mid-season firings always feel panicky, but maybe things have gotten so toxic between players and Jose, any move helps. Their league hopes seem futile (even getting to top four, says the Gunners fan) but maybe the club hopes for some kind of a CL shake-up miracle?
having players give 100% would be a start. Has anyone seen Sanchez lately? Dude gets almost 500k quid per appearance, but has been downright dreadful. Rashford should have seen greater involvement since his first season in 2015-2016, yet he's languished. So much potential, so little result. They need an Eddie Howe or Espririto Santo